Bag check policy

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505

Re: Bag check policy

Post by Usu0505 » August 19th, 2019, 7:20 am

oleblu111 wrote:
bigwilly087 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:03 pm
I realize the “no outside food” is not a new thing, but it has never been enforced. Oleblu (aka the police chief in charge of cheap person identifier) will disapprove of this post. However, the clear bag policy makes it a lot less enticing to bring young kids to the game. Kids want to eat snacks constantly, but they are picky too. I’m not going to spend a fortune on concessions only to have my kids get in one of their “moods” where they stubbornly turn down what I bought, and yet at the same time, complain that they don’t have anything to eat. That is the DAILY reality of kids, and if I can’t (Oleblu close your eyes and stop reading now) “sneak” fruit snacks, granola bars, and whatever else my kids might want to keep them occupied for 3+ hours, the next best solution is to not bring them.
One thing the school needs to do is get more and better concession options.

Security is a big concern for any University event, Believe me the legal folks at the state level are worried about security, and will push for clear bag policy at all Universities. They also do not want liquor brought into venues. they have liability if they do not enforce the rules. The ewe started this in 2018

If one wants to bring kids, and they need food all the time perhaps they could tailgate, and fill them up before the game sneak in a few candy bars or what ever, or buy club seats where food is given away.

Even as a kid when my ole man took me to games I went to watch the aggies, I did not go for a picnic. My kids went to aggie games with me they would get something from concessions, but if they did not like popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, or some candy they were out of luck. So I guess I do not understand the big concern.
Have you ever tried giving a 2 year old a hamburger? I think you’re one of many individuals that were a parent years ago but completely forgot that kids are not mini adults.

Does my 2 year old care about football, you may ask. Occasionally. She likes the band, likes it when the crowd gets excited, likes to meet big blue, but other than that she enjoys reading books or watching movies on an iPad while eating crackers and drinking milk. “Why bring her?” may be your follow up question. Answer is because I truly have 1 full day a week to spend with my family and I value that. Over time she’ll care more and more about the game, but until then I’ll be sneaking in fruit snacks and cheese nips and milk bottles. 8:30 kickoffs I do get a babysitter, just not fair to her or anyone else as the last thing I’ll let her do is disturb anyone else around me. Even if that means missing part of the game to take laps around the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell I do not care if anyone brings kids, however I would never bring a 2 year old to a football game, because when mine were that young they really did not want to go, and watch football plus I would not have liked to baby sit. I took my son to aggie games when he was about 8 years old which was when he had started to play little league football. He actually kept game stat's we had a great time, and still go to aggie games. My daughter did not really care to go so we found other things for her to do on the 5 or 6 weekends of aggie football, she now goes up to games and tailgates.

Again if folks want to bring their kids good for them, but do kids that young really want to spend 3 to 4 hours at a college football game ? I know mine did not. If people have real young children that want to be there and are not much of a disturbance then by all means go for it. I did need to change seats when this guy brought a kid that did not want to be there and bothered all those around him.

If folks want to sneak food into the stadium and it does not bother their conscience great.

Guys they have vendor's that sell all kids of food in the south endzone. so you do not need to use USU concession's.
Maybe your kids just didn’t like you that much? If I walked out the door without my 2/3/ now 4 year old momma had to hear him crying for me for the next 3 hours because he didn’t get to go with daddy. Ya, does he really want to go watch a football game? Prob not all of it. Does he want to go and hang out with dad and do something fun? Most definitely. Will he get tired of the football part and want to venture around. Most definitely.

You are quite judgmental, sir. Do you read the stuff you post ever?

FistBump
Been thanked: 0

Post by FistBump » August 19th, 2019, 8:16 am

oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
I realize the “no outside food” is not a new thing, but it has never been enforced. Oleblu (aka the police chief in charge of cheap person identifier) will disapprove of this post. However, the clear bag policy makes it a lot less enticing to bring young kids to the game. Kids want to eat snacks constantly, but they are picky too. I’m not going to spend a fortune on concessions only to have my kids get in one of their “moods” where they stubbornly turn down what I bought, and yet at the same time, complain that they don’t have anything to eat. That is the DAILY reality of kids, and if I can’t (Oleblu close your eyes and stop reading now) “sneak” fruit snacks, granola bars, and whatever else my kids might want to keep them occupied for 3+ hours, the next best solution is to not bring them.

Security is a big concern for any University event, Believe me the legal folks at the state level are worried about security, and will push for clear bag policy at all Universities. They also do not want liquor brought into venues. they have liability if they do not enforce the rules. The ewe started this in 2018

If one wants to bring kids, and they need food all the time perhaps they could tailgate, and fill them up before the game sneak in a few candy bars or what ever, or buy club seats where food is given away.

Even as a kid when my ole man took me to games I went to watch the aggies, I did not go for a picnic. My kids went to aggie games with me they would get something from concessions, but if they did not like popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, or some candy they were out of luck. So I guess I do not understand the big concern.
Thank you for your well-reasoned post. Ideally, you ought to have already fed you kids. And how old are we talking here? Get a babysitter for the little ones and bring out the your kids who are 7+ years old.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 19th, 2019, 8:22 am

This is a security issue that I file under 'that is why we can't have nice things'. I have enjoyed the freedom we've had to bring in whatever over the years, but it has made me nervous compared to the security I see at other venues. The chance of an issue is miniscule, but it is still worth doing this to avoid problems. I won't be complaining even though it is a pain.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
oleblu111TrueBlueAggie123

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 19th, 2019, 8:40 am

They probably just started profiling as young under sexed white males are most likely to perpetrate white males and we got those is spades.

Hail Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 19th, 2019, 8:47 am

The reality is that we don't want to be the school who has a mass shooting or explosion in our stadium and then have the media and lawyers haunting us for years about lack of proper security protocols. This is now the world we live in.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 19th, 2019, 10:49 am

oleblu111 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm
ususports wrote:
This really is all that needs to be said with food/children related to this policy. It's not like the concessions stand is serving up liver and onions, kale chips, and asparagus skewers.
Eat dinner before you go to the game. If your kids won't eat hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos, pretzels, popcorn, ice cream, or candy.....you've got bigger issues than a bag policy.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
NavyBlueAggieoleblu111

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » August 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm

I had a very small knife on my jet chain that I forgot about. Tsa saw it and asked me to open the blade. She held it against a little stick and it was shorter by quite a bit. She showed her boss that she measured it and waved me on

Mariners game prohibited ANYTHING sharp. Tossed it trash as truck was way too far away. Not all MLB stadiums are enforced the same.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 20th, 2019, 9:37 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 10:49 am
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
This really is all that needs to be said with food/children related to this policy. It's not like the concessions stand is serving up liver and onions, kale chips, and asparagus skewers.
Eat dinner before you go to the game. If your kids won't eat hamburgers, hotdogs, nachos, pretzels, popcorn, ice cream, or candy.....you've got bigger issues than a bag policy.

Games are 4 hours long. Add in a hour to park , walk, get thru bag check and drive back home. For some people it is a 6 -8 hour commit. That is a long time for a 3 year old.

We should be looking at ways to shorten game day not make it longer. Attendance is down because football games are way too long. There is no way a football game should take more than 3 hours for hell sakes it's only 60 Minutes of actual gameplay. And the clock is running for most of it.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » August 21st, 2019, 6:02 am

At the BYU basketball game last year USU vs BYU they stopped my wife and said she could not bring here purse into the game unless it was inside a clear bag sold by BYU for $19.99. I asked what does that change putting the bag inside of a clear bag? The person answered it’s just a way to sell a clear bag the school bought from China for 40 cents for $19.99. I said what if we don’t want to buy the bag with a BYU logo on it? They said you must return the purse to the car. I still laugh about this almost 10 months later. I saw multiple somewhat smart looking ladies carrying a clear bag with a purse in it?????? How does putting a purse inside of a clear bag make any sense they still searched the purses? So the purse is seen through a clear bag purchased from the very institution that asks you to have it in a clear bag? I went to a real school Utah State University and I can’t imagine the mind power it takes to come up with something so asinine.

I see where our better institution is going with this. I know our policy is slightly different right now. But sheep follow dumb sheep sometimes even off of cliffs to their deaths. Hey BYU can sell bags why can’t we sell some to.

I like buying food and treats from the south end zone area and have no problem supporting a small business or family willing to work the game to sell me some food. I don’t bring anything into the game myself, except my wallet and stadium chair and expect to pay $8-$12 to eat at the game after waiting in line for 30 minutes or so.

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 6:47 am

That reminds me of a time I was doing a quick transport of a juvenile, flew into Sitka, Ak at 10:00 PM with a return flight at 6:00 am. Brought a change of underwear, a book, toothbrush, and travel size tube of toothpaste. Woman at TSA in Sitka told me I had to have the liquid in a ziploc bag. I told her that’s not the rule, tsa just uses the clear plastic bag as a guide so people don’t bring too much stuff. She was having non of it and told me this is a rule at every airport yada yada yada, I was on the no fly list for 24 months.

Hail Aggies!

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » August 21st, 2019, 7:57 am

I guess I was naive and assumed we had a food policy before. That didn’t stop me from getting plenty of food in my pockets, bottom of bags, etc. Also, we tailgate before and I have no business in needing snacks during the game :lol:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 21st, 2019, 8:36 am

Easy fix guys, just buy some cargo pants. The extra pocket space should cover it. wear a hoodie and hide something in the hood. I bet you could get a Thanksgiving feast into the stadium with these methods.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggieFull

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 8:45 am

NVAggie wrote:Easy fix guys, just buy some cargo pants. The extra pocket space should cover it. wear a hoodie and hide something in the hood. I bet you could get a Thanksgiving feast into the stadium with these methods.
What is this, 2003?!?

Hail Aggies!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 21st, 2019, 8:51 am

Seriously - grow to love the cat and mouse game that is sneaking stuff into the game.

Pro tip: you can fit just about anything of a reasonable size behind the belt of your pants, under your shirt. I've been doing it at sporting events and movies for years. Nobody ever asks and nobody ever will.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

AggieFella

Post by AggieFella » August 21st, 2019, 8:58 am

My freshman year at Oklahoma (2005) a man tried to bring in a bag full of explosives into a football game, because of beg checks, he was not allowed into the stadium after trying to gain entrance in three different locations. He wouldn't allow the staff at the gates to check his bag, and thus wasn't let in to the stadium.

He then blew himself up about a block away from the stadium. Because of bag checks I am here and so are many others. Not saying that would ever happen in this community but it takes just one time and one person for this to happen.

So yeah I am more than ok with this.

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/ne ... ball-game/
These users thanked the author AggieFella for the post (total 3):
NVAggieTrueBlueAggie123donlarson8

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 21st, 2019, 8:59 am

The real mystery is how I manage to sneak food into games!
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggiesam tingey

Usurossco

Post by Usurossco » August 21st, 2019, 9:15 am

Just be clear I have no problem with bag searches or a person wanting to bring something in a clear bag. My post was making fun of BYU for saying the clear bag makes a purse safe and therefore it’s ok inside of a clear 40 cent Chinese bag. I am very aware of the challenges public safety officials have and I think it could help speed up the bag check. But if my wife is asked to return to her car because she does not have her purse in a clear plastic bag sold by USU I will find another university to associate with.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 21st, 2019, 9:16 am

AggieFella wrote:My freshman year at Oklahoma (2005) a man tried to bring in a bag full of explosives into a football game, because of beg checks, he was not allowed into the stadium after trying to gain entrance in three different locations. He wouldn't allow the staff at the gates to check his bag, and thus wasn't let in to the stadium.

He then blew himself up about a block away from the stadium. Because of bag checks I am here and so are many others. Not saying that would ever happen in this community but it takes just one time and one person for this to happen.

Why wasn't be arrested the first time. Security failure for sure.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 21st, 2019, 9:22 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 8:59 am
Become very well endowed. Ain't no one that's gonna ask.

ususports

Post by ususports » August 21st, 2019, 9:29 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 8:59 am
The same way people can sneak in explosives that will not be remedied with this new bag check policy.

Full

Post by Full » August 21st, 2019, 9:32 am

I’ve seen a couple salt lined plastic margarita glasses filled (granted that was about 10 years ago) and a 24” pizza in a box make it through security a blanket draped over the box. I’m surprised it took this long to move to a clear bag policy given every other ticketed event has already implemented it. Some people took advantage of the relaxed policy, and the University probably had to respond because lawyers told them they would face a lawsuit if something got through like the story AggieFella related. I don’t mind enforcing the policies, but would hope there is enough leeway that someone doesn’t have to buy a bag to put a purse in like Usurossco points out.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
NVAggie

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » August 21st, 2019, 9:37 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 8:45 am
NVAggie wrote:Easy fix guys, just buy some cargo pants. The extra pocket space should cover it. wear a hoodie and hide something in the hood. I bet you could get a Thanksgiving feast into the stadium with these methods.
What is this, 2003?!?

I was going to say that 2003 was a great year, but it wasn't. The only positive I could come up with was $1.83 for a gallon of gas.

Maybe cargo pants were the best part of 2003

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 21st, 2019, 9:59 am

oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

I find myself agreeing with you more and more. Does that mean I'm becoming more of a grumpy old man? Who knows. I do agree we need better concessions. You go to other stadiums in the MW: Boise, CSU, and even lowly UNM and their concession options are so much better and much more well run. Concessions are always going to be pricey, but when you have a staff that doesn't get people through quickly and cause you to miss game time, you have a big problem.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 21st, 2019, 10:17 am

Madmartigan wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:59 am
oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:

I find myself agreeing with you more and more. Does that mean I'm becoming more of a grumpy old man? Who knows. I do agree we need better concessions. You go to other stadiums in the MW: Boise, CSU, and even lowly UNM and their concession options are so much better and much more well run. Concessions are always going to be pricey, but when you have a staff that doesn't get people through quickly and cause you to miss game time, you have a big problem.
Sometimes with age comes wisdom, or in my case perhaps just grumpy.

Concessions at USU are very poor compared with others. The flag ship has a much better setup as do the Jazz they have the Best cold draft beer in Utah.

At USU we need a concessions, and restrooms area over where the band is, also the upper east needs improvement, as well as under the west side stands.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Madmartigan

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 11:03 am

918AGG wrote:Seriously - grow to love the cat and mouse game that is sneaking stuff into the game.

Pro tip: you can fit just about anything of a reasonable size behind the belt of your pants, under your shirt. I've been doing it at sporting events and movies for years. Nobody ever asks and nobody ever will.
The space behind my belt under my trousers is already occupied.

Hail Aggies!

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 21st, 2019, 11:08 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:03 am
918AGG wrote:Seriously - grow to love the cat and mouse game that is sneaking stuff into the game.

The space behind my belt under my trousers is already occupied.

It's a handy place to keep an extra pair of socks, amiright?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

blueblood

Post by blueblood » August 21st, 2019, 11:27 am

[/quote]

I was going to say that 2003 was a great year, but it wasn't. The only positive I could come up with was $1.83 for a gallon of gas.

Maybe cargo pants were the best part of 2003[/quote]

I have to disagree. 2003 was a great year. I graduated from USU, met my wife, and got married. 2003 was a great year for me!!!

These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
NVAggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

I have lived in and attended games in parts of the country with these exact policies since 9/11. It is definitely inconvenient, but you just show up a bit earlier than you would have, and it is fine. I suspect Romney (er, Maverik) was one of the few D1 college football stadiums in the country without a bag check policy. Seems fairly reasonable.

As a father of three who has dragged kids into various events many times, I can attest that it is EXTREMELY easy to shove a ziplock bagful of whatever snack you want into a pocket for each kid. If your kid absolutely needs more than a quart-sized bag of snacks during a 3-4 hour window, then you may want to reconsider how many calories you are feeding your kids for their own well-being.

There are also varying qualities of clear bags -- some of which will fare much better in colder temperatures. Check out the interwebs for various options -- see, e.g., Zappos and Amazon.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 21st, 2019, 12:00 pm

dyedblue wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:16 am
AggieFella wrote:My freshman year at Oklahoma (2005) a man tried to bring in a bag full of explosives into a football game, because of beg checks, he was not allowed into the stadium after trying to gain entrance in three different locations. He wouldn't allow the staff at the gates to check his bag, and thus wasn't let in to the stadium.

Why wasn't be arrested the first time. Security failure for sure.

Possibly because he may actually not have attempted to enter the stadium. Sounds like this part of the story is not entirely clear. From Wikipedia:
Rumors also circulated that Hinrichs intended to detonate his homemade bomb inside the stadium; these included allegations that he tried to enter the stadium that evening but was denied entry after he refused to be searched. Hinrichs was not a student football season ticket holder;[17] there was no evidence that Hinrichs tried to enter the stadium, and Hinrichs apparently neither bought nor tried to buy a game ticket.[16] Agents scoured hundreds of hours of security camera tapes and found no images of Hinrichs, but, since not all entrances had cameras, they conceded they may never know if Hinrichs wanted to enter or tried to enter the stadium that night.[6] Boren noted that Hinrichs waited until the game was underway and pre-game fans and students had cleared the South Oval; there would have been injuries or deaths to bystanders had Hinrichs detonated his device in the same area prior to or after the game.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Univ ... ma_bombing

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

TheAKAggie

Bag check policy

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 3:15 pm

blueblood wrote:
I have to disagree. 2003 was a great year. I graduated from USU, met my wife, and got married. 2003 was a great year for me!!!
That could have all happened in May 2003 based on a lot of people I know around here.

Hail Aggies!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 21st, 2019, 5:04 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 8:47 am
The reality is that we don't want to be the school who has a mass shooting or explosion in our stadium and then have the media and lawyers haunting us for years about lack of proper security protocols. This is now the world we live in.
Take a look at the folks doing the gate bag checks. They wouldn't be able to stop anyone with an attitude or a commitment. Relating to possible violence, there are a good number of Men in Blue that would take a dim view of someone in Maverick Stadium trying to cause a headline event. In this day of drones there are many more ways to wreak havoc than bursting through a stadium gate.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » August 22nd, 2019, 9:19 am

I don't disagree with what you are saying. My point is that the optics would be much worse if we had an incident and were found to have no protocols or procedures in place. It is much easier to say that we are looking at our procedures for ways to improve than to say that we are going to write a procedure to secure the stadium.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am

NVAggie wrote:I don't disagree with what you are saying. My point is that the optics would be much worse if we had an incident and were found to have no protocols or procedures in place. It is much easier to say that we are looking at our procedures for ways to improve than to say that we are going to write a procedure to secure the stadium.
So we don't care if it is really safer. What does a clear bag accomplish? What does a smaller bag accomplish?

Why can't I carry my camera bag in with me to keep the rain/snow off it? Why can't I carry a backpack with a blanket/coat/hat/gloves in it?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 10:10 am

dyedblue wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am
NVAggie wrote:I don't disagree with what you are saying. My point is that the optics would be much worse if we had an incident and were found to have no protocols or procedures in place. It is much easier to say that we are looking at our procedures for ways to improve than to say that we are going to write a procedure to secure the stadium.
So we don't care if it is really safer. What does a clear bag accomplish? What does a smaller bag accomplish?

Why can't I carry my camera bag in with me to keep the rain/snow off it? Why can't I carry a backpack with a blanket/coat/hat/gloves in it?

Part of the problem is if a incident happens as a result of anything being brought into the stadium, which includes Liquor, If other schools in the nation as well as instate schools have a clear bag policy and USU does notyou would have a huge liability. The state, your insurance, and home land security are pushing this agenda.

The Jazz, YBU, and the Ewe have this policy. Admittance to Jazz games was a lot of security checks much more than that USU will ever have, they make it work..

ususports

Post by ususports » August 22nd, 2019, 10:38 am

dyedblue wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 9:51 am

I’ve heard that I will gain more wisdom as I get older, but I am not old enough for this to make sense either. But yes, people don’t care that an asinine policy doesn’t make us safer. If it creates the appearance that we are trying, that’s all that counts, even if there is a mass shooting that a clear bag policy won’t stop. It makes the same amount of sense as constantly complaining about poor attendance and support for the program, followed by telling people to not bring their kids to the games. Or telling some who doesn’t have a lot of money to buy club seats because it comes with food. I can’t wait until I age another 20-30 years so I can understand and enjoy the wisdom that is so prevalent on this board.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 3):
thegreendalegelfMWCFAN12sneed

Locked Previous topicNext topic