Nevada preview of USU game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usufan1

Nevada preview of USU game

Post by usufan1 » August 13th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Here's an article previewing the Nevada vs USU game from the Nevada sports writer. Feel like he has always done a decent job researching the opponents and detailing both sides.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporte ... uarterback

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
sneed

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Nevada preview of USU game

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 13th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Very nice write up. He did some good research. We aren't sure if the offense can replace all the receivers/OL that we lost, defense should be as good or better. Well done.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » August 14th, 2019, 6:30 am

Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

He still lists Ingram as one of our CBs.

The caption on the photo, "Utah State quarterback Jordan Love has big talent but is surrounded by a worse supporting cast this season." Which could be true, but is yet to be seen. unproven would be a better word.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » August 14th, 2019, 8:47 am

AGNUMPI wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 6:30 am
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

The caption on the photo, "Utah State quarterback Jordan Love has big talent but is surrounded by a worse supporting cast this season." Which could be true, but is yet to be seen. unproven would be a better word.
Feel like all these assessments are overlooking just how good Mariner and Repp will be. I personally think Mariner will step into Tarver's role and be just as good, or better. Repp is super athletic and I think he has a chance to surprise us just like Dax did. The only weapon we'll have a hard time replacing is Darwin, just because he's such a dynamic player. But, I'm really excited about our group of RBs and think, together, they'll be a dangerous bunch. I just don't see the offense falling as far as some prognosticators see.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 14th, 2019, 9:24 am

paaron46 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 8:47 am
AGNUMPI wrote:
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

Feel like all these assessments are overlooking just how good Mariner and Repp will be. I personally think Mariner will step into Tarver's role and be just as good, or better. Repp is super athletic and I think he has a chance to surprise us just like Dax did. The only weapon we'll have a hard time replacing is Darwin, just because he's such a dynamic player. But, I'm really excited about our group of RBs and think, together, they'll be a dangerous bunch. I just don't see the offense falling as far as some prognosticators see.
or you will see #16 in the X receiver......ya never know ;)

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 14th, 2019, 11:26 am

paaron46 wrote:
AGNUMPI wrote:
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

I agree with this. It seems everyone likes to naturally compare to last year and, in the case of the Aggies, point out the % of lost offensive production. What they fail to point out though is that other than a returning Tarver, the guys that accounted for the production were largely in the same shoes this time last year that the new guys are this year. Thompson was an unknown from a small JC coming into camp to fight for playing time, Greene was a PAC 12 grad transfer guy with very few career stats, and even though Vaughns was also a returning player he had all of like 150 yards receiving to his name. When you set aside the known constants; Love, Terrell, Nathan, Scarver, Bright and take a look at what has been added with Mariner (another PAC 12 grad transfer, but one that played a lot more than Greene over his first 3 years), Repp (another tall athletic TE that looks to be able to fill Dax's role), Warren & Burt (not that they are better than Thompson but both additions are far more known factors than what DT was), it doesn't seem like much of a difference. This is not even mentioning an exciting D. Thompkins returning to fill Vaughn's shoes or all the other new WR additions: Sean Carter, AJ Carter, and Derek Wright.

The point is Love will have weapons all over the place, not that unlike last season.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 4):
Aggie19BustaMcNuttJSHarveydonlarson8

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 14th, 2019, 11:32 am

Aglicious wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 11:26 am
paaron46 wrote:
AGNUMPI wrote:
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

I agree with this. It seems everyone likes to naturally compare to last year and, in the case of the Aggies, point out the % of lost offensive production. What they fail to point out though is that other than a returning Tarver, the guys that accounted for the production were largely in the same shoes this time last year that the new guys are this year. Thompson was an unknown from a small JC coming into camp to fight for playing time, Greene was a PAC 12 grad transfer guy with very few career stats, and even though Vaughns was also a returning player he had all of like 150 yards receiving to his name. When you set aside the known constants; Love, Terrell, Nathan, Scarver, Bright and take a look at what has been added with Mariner (another PAC 12 grad transfer, but one that played a lot more than Greene over his first 3 years), Repp (another tall athletic TE that looks to be able to fill Dax's role), Warren & Burt (not that they are better than Thompson but both additions are far more known factors than what DT was), it doesn't seem like much of a difference. This is not even mentioning an exciting D. Thompkins returning to fill Vaughn's shoes or all the other new WR additions: Sean Carter, AJ Carter, and Derek Wright.

The point is Love will have weapons all over the place, not that unlike last season.
For those who don't know, this play from the pac 12 championship is essentially why we have Siaosi Mariner now.

Full

Post by Full » August 14th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I see a drop off from Darwin, but the other players that are gone are replaceable. I don’t want that to seem like they weren’t any good, just the players in the system can be just as good.

The receivers group will miss Green’s blocking the most. However, I don’t see much drop off with the way Love spreads the ball around. Love can hit the third option and find the mismatched or open receiver. Mariner is good enough to replace Tarver and Scarver’s speed wasn’t utilized (possibly because of drops) last season. I expect any drop in production would be more due to playing much better defenses.

I still think the concern about the offensive line is overblown. The LT started from game 1 last season. Andy Koch, with 47 snaps or around a half a game, is the least experienced starter. Ali’ifua, has 779 snaps and four starts in his third year. As center, he is responsible to know the entire playbook, and will as a Jr. This is nothing like the 2017 rebuild going into week one vs Wisconsin where the entire line was transfers taking their first snap at USU.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 14th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I'm a little worried about the offense, but the good news is Love works through his progressions and throws really quickly. He doesn't hold the ball long. He's also really accurate. WRs are going to find the ball right where they want it.

If we can run the ball consistently (get 3 yards when we need to move the chains), I expect that we'll be fine. I don't expect we'll see 5 games with 30+ points at halftime like last year, but we should be able to score.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » August 14th, 2019, 12:35 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 12:13 pm
I'm a little worried about the offense, but the good news is Love works through his progressions and throws really quickly. He doesn't hold the ball long. He's also really accurate. WRs are going to find the ball right where they want it.

If we can run the ball consistently (get 3 yards when we need to move the chains), I expect that we'll be fine. I don't expect we'll see 5 games with 30+ points at halftime like last year, but we should be able to score.
I'm looking forward to having a few more sets on O. Taking the ball from under center, multiple TEs, etc. For as much s*** as Baldwin took here, I loved the motion and multiple sets he brought. He found a way to get Turbin and Smith on the field at the same time, even if he hated giving them the ball. I think having a set where we can utilize Love's size and strength to get us a yard would be helpful.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
BustaMcNutt

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 14th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Full wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 12:01 pm
I see a drop off from Darwin, but the other players that are gone are replaceable. I don’t want that to seem like they weren’t any good, just the players in the system can be just as good.

The receivers group will miss Green’s blocking the most. However, I don’t see much drop off with the way Love spreads the ball around. Love can hit the third option and find the mismatched or open receiver. Mariner is good enough to replace Tarver and Scarver’s speed wasn’t utilized (possibly because of drops) last season. I expect any drop in production would be more due to playing much better defenses.

I still think the concern about the offensive line is overblown. The LT started from game 1 last season. Andy Koch, with 47 snaps or around a half a game, is the least experienced starter. Ali’ifua, has 779 snaps and four starts in his third year. As center, he is responsible to know the entire playbook, and will as a Jr. This is nothing like the 2017 rebuild going into week one vs Wisconsin where the entire line was transfers taking their first snap at USU.
I'm excited to (hopefully) have fears about the O-line eased in my mind on Saturday. If this group can hang tough against our d-line (which has to be one of the better defensive fronts in the conference), I like the odds of our O-line moving forward.

Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » August 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
Aglicious wrote:
paaron46 wrote:
AGNUMPI wrote:
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

For those who don't know, this play from the pac 12 championship is essentially why we have Siaosi Mariner now.
Low throw and an insane amount of bad luck on that play. That ball from Love doesn't end up in a position where Mariner is having to go awkwardly to the ground behind himself to get it, IMO.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 14th, 2019, 3:50 pm

paaron46 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
Aglicious wrote:
paaron46 wrote:
AGNUMPI wrote:
Pretty fair assessment.

A few notes:

Low throw and an insane amount of bad luck on that play. That ball from Love doesn't end up in a position where Mariner is having to go awkwardly to the ground behind himself to get it, IMO.
Total freak play not his fault at all, glad he is here excited to see what he can do.

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 14th, 2019, 3:53 pm

I loved it when I saw it last year. Made sure fans upset.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 14th, 2019, 3:53 pm

paaron46 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Agreed. I think evaluating Utah QBs and WRs is hard to do without a measure of salt.
Our Utah transfers will benefit from playing for a good offensive coaching staff and a great QB who is confident and supported by the HC.

Whittingham is a good HC, but he'd be a great HC if he'd stop poisoning his offense.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm

brownjeans wrote:

This. I don't think with Edwards at left tackle that Love' is going to be under a lot of effective pressure and he's good at finding his hot reads and torching Ds that can't get pressure with the front 4. Run blocking is another issue that will take more time to sort out.

As far as the skill guys go I think the Aggies won't have any real drop off except for Thompson and whether anyone can step into Tarver's role. TE, slot, exc. Mariner will flourish with Love.

Excited to see what Bright can do. Having a big back like Riley to bring in too will be nice. Bright is highly underrated IMO.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 14th, 2019, 4:59 pm

hickaggie wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm
brownjeans wrote:

This. I don't think with Edwards at left tackle that Love' is going to be under a lot of effective pressure and he's good at finding his hot reads and torching Ds that can't get pressure with the front 4. Run blocking is another issue that will take more time to sort out.

As far as the skill guys go I think the Aggies won't have any real drop off except for Thompson and whether anyone can step into Tarver's role. TE, slot, exc. Mariner will flourish with Love.

Excited to see what Bright can do. Having a big back like Riley to bring in too will be nice. Bright is highly underrated IMO.

On the subject of Riley who I admittedly have a bias to see play as I know his family I wonder if the RPO may not give him some real opportunities as he tends to be a one cut and go guy. I think its a better fit than what the Zoobs were running but it will be interesting to see.

Locked Previous topicNext topic