Supporting an NFL team in Salt Lake

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

How would you support a Utah NFL team

I don't live in Utah so I wouldn't care
11%
I hate NFL football period for a number of reasons
11%
I wouldn't go to Sunday games for religious reasons, but would consider going to non-sunday games if I could make it work
25%
I wouldn't pay for tickets but would go if I had connections to free tickets
8%
I would go sometimes cause I like football, but only when my main team isn't playing on TV
No votes
I would only go to cheer for my favorite team against them, or them against my most hated team
5%
I would become a fan of them casually, but I already have an NFL team they would NOT replace as my favorite
14%
I would cheer for them as my number one favorite team but be fairly casual about it
14%
I would become a fairly hardcore fan of them
14%

Total votes: 65

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 26th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I always say that while it would be nice to have an NFL team in Salt Lake, it would never work out. I would go to the games, but there aren't enough other people that would do the same. Sundays would be one thing that keep alot of people from going to the games for religious reasons, and another thing is that so many people already cheer for someone like the Packers, Seahawks, Broncos or Bears and consider them their team would NOT replace them with a Utah team as their team.

To get an idea of the demographics of this board, how would you support a team in Salt Lake. And to avoid this turning into a sandbox thread, let's not get into the Sunday debate beyond voting that would be your deterrent.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
FistBump

Turtle

Re: Supporting an NFL team in Salt Lake

Post by Turtle » July 27th, 2019, 7:45 am

I would personally cheer for them and support them alongside the Seahawks, at about the same level. I would never go to any games, (unless given cheap tickets through some promotion) just from a price standpoint, I'd rather go to an Aggie game.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 27th, 2019, 9:01 am

I've become pretty apathetic to the NFL

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » July 27th, 2019, 9:48 am

I chose "don't live in Utah" but the most correct answer would be "I don't live in Utah, don't have a favorite team, and really don't care all that much about the NFL, but I would cheer for them rabidly and maybe even travel to Salt Lake to see them beat the Cowboys or the Patriots."
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyFistBump

Nobody here knows anything.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 27th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Already a lifelong Vikings fan and season ticket holder who travels to games from Chicago, so an SLC team would not supplant them as a favorite.

BTW, is there any real talk of this happening? Seems like the odds of SLC getting an NFL team in the near future approach zero.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 27th, 2019, 1:31 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Already a lifelong Vikings fan and season ticket holder who travels to games from Chicago, so an SLC team would not supplant them as a favorite.

BTW, is there any real talk of this happening? Seems like the odds of SLC getting an NFL team in the near future approach zero.
Nope,the only way an NFL team would play here is if they go to 17 games, and the 17th game would be at neutral site.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » July 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Could someone explain to me why playing nfl football is ok for LDS folks, but attending games is frowned upon? I think attending a game could be a fun (but expensive) family outing.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » July 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm

bullshot wrote:Could someone explain to me why playing nfl football is ok for LDS folks, but attending games is frowned upon? I think attending a game could be a fun (but expensive) family outing.
I’ve been to a solitary NFL game... the whole experience is very overrated. NFL = drunken meat head fest. College football = relatively family friendly.

I went to the Broncos/Panthers Thursday night opener a few years ago for free and had free food.

There was a ludicrous amount of people, everything was jam packed, there were a trillion commercial timeouts, it was uncomfortable, loud, hot, late, and I didn’t care much about the outcome. I’ll pass on going to any future live NFL games. It just isn’t my jam at all.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

918AGG wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm
bullshot wrote:Could someone explain to me why playing nfl football is ok for LDS folks, but attending games is frowned upon? I think attending a game could be a fun (but expensive) family outing.
I’ve been to a solitary NFL game... the whole experience is very overrated. NFL = drunken meat head fest. College football = relatively family friendly.

I went to the Broncos/Panthers Thursday night opener a few years ago for free and had free food.

There was a ludicrous amount of people, everything was jam packed, there were a trillion commercial timeouts, it was uncomfortable, loud, hot, late, and I didn’t care much about the outcome. I’ll pass on going to any future live NFL games. It just isn’t my jam at all.
I love the Broncos and have been to a few games and had fun but I agree that it is slow and stale.

It feels like an exercise that exists just so people can sell beer and fantasy football. That’s not necessarily bad but it lacks the energy of a college game.

The nfl is much better on tv.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 27th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm
918AGG wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I love the Broncos and have been to a few games and had fun but I agree that it is slow and stale.

It feels like an exercise that exists just so people can sell beer and fantasy football. That’s not necessarily bad but it lacks the energy of a college game.

The nfl is much better on tv.
The only NFL game I have been to is the first Texans home game in 2017 after Hurricane Harvey. They celebrated HPD, HFD, the VFDs, and the National Guard and then JJ Watt was the last player out of the tunnel carrying a Texan flag. To say the moment was overwhelming is selling it short. It is, to this day, the loudest thing I have ever heard.

The actual game sucked though.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
Intermeddler918AGG

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

sneed

Post by sneed » July 27th, 2019, 9:11 pm

I have only been to a couple NFL games but I thought a game in Seattle is worth going at least once. It is an awesome experience. Felt like the spectrum a little. The entire stadium stands and yells while they are on defense - they are better on 3rd down during a blowout nothing game than any other stadium I have been to when the game is on the line and it’s not even close (I have only been to games in the west - no SEC / Big12 games or anything). If Seattle home games were cheaper I would go to one every year.

I went to a game in Phoenix last year. Not the cool atmosphere like Seattle but it was amazing how many Seattle fans were there. Nice stadium - good AC. Very fun game. Normal Russel Wilson drive at the end to put them in FG range and won. Earl Thomas got hurt and flipped off someone (management?). Memorable game.

This year I plan watch Seattle at San Francisco after the Fresno game (MNF). Any other Aggies plan on going to both of those games?
These users thanked the author sneed for the post:
oleblu111

sneed

Post by sneed » July 27th, 2019, 9:13 pm

I would probably go to a couple SL games a year but it would take me a while to switch teams. Maybe when Bobby Wagner retires. With 2 hour church you can work it out....

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 27th, 2019, 10:43 pm

SLC is too small for an NFL team. They’d put a 3rd team in the NYC/NJ area before they came to slc.

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » July 28th, 2019, 9:55 am

Utah struggles to support an NBA team. Considering the relative size of the rosters between the NBA and the NFL I can't imagine the economics of an NFL team in SLC would ever have even a slim chance of working out. I don't think we ever see it happen.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 28th, 2019, 10:30 am

JSHarvey wrote:Utah struggles to support an NBA team. Considering the relative size of the rosters between the NBA and the NFL I can't imagine the economics of an NFL team in SLC would ever have even a slim chance of working out. I don't think we ever see it happen.
Uhm...the Jazz practically all out their arena every night. They lowered their capacity in the remodel to 18,300 and averaged 18,306. The fans here supported them even when they sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
oleblu111

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 28th, 2019, 10:56 am

The NFL works everywhere. Market size doesn’t matter.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » July 28th, 2019, 11:55 am

dyedblue wrote:
JSHarvey wrote:Utah struggles to support an NBA team. Considering the relative size of the rosters between the NBA and the NFL I can't imagine the economics of an NFL team in SLC would ever have even a slim chance of working out. I don't think we ever see it happen.
Uhm...the Jazz practically all out their arena every night. They lowered their capacity in the remodel to 18,300 and averaged 18,306. The fans here supported them even when they sucked.

Yeah, not totally sure where the thought Utah struggles to support the Jazz comes from.

Here's an article that breaks down the NBA teams and valuations. Looking at revenue per fan Utah is #1 in the league.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much support there would be for an NFL team in Utah even with games being played on a Sunday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 73b772e667

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » July 28th, 2019, 12:05 pm

usufan1 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 11:55 am
dyedblue wrote:

Yeah, not totally sure where the thought Utah struggles to support the Jazz comes from.

Here's an article that breaks down the NBA teams and valuations. Looking at revenue per fan Utah is #1 in the league.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how much support there would be for an NFL team in Utah even with games being played on a Sunday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 73b772e667

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
[/quote

I believe you are correct, people should keep in mind that less than 50% of the folks in SLC are LDS, of the LDS population in that area I doubt everyone goes to church every Sunday.

The tough part would be to find a owner willing to invest big bucks and building a facility.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 28th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Probably half of that number of local LDS members go to Sunday services on a regular basis. No slam intended, just the way things are these days.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » July 28th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I would fall under the camp that I wouldn't go to games on Sunday, but they would instantly become my favorite team. I would love to follow them and support the local team. Could you imagine a Monday Night Football game in Utah? It would be beyond packed, LOL! 😂

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » July 28th, 2019, 5:03 pm

One of the main reasons I never cared about the NFL was because there was no local NFL team. I grew up a zoob fan but once I saw the light I was a diehard Aggie fan and that was the only football team I needed.

When I moved to Colorado I wondered if I’d become a Broncos fan just by virtue of my location, but it didn’t happen. The only way I’d get into it is if Utah got their own team, but even then I’d probably be a relatively casual fan, just from not going to Sunday games and barely being able to afford tickets to other games

USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

bpd

Post by bpd » July 28th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Years ago when SLC was being talked about for MLB, I thought it was a good idea. Now, I don't think it would work because of the fair amount of games being played on Sunday (which I don't get, but whatever). Now SLC is not talked about at all for MLB expansion, it is usually Portland, Montreal, San Antonio, Las Vegas. There is no way NFL would succeed. By the way, NFL attendance is down over the last few years. People would rather watch it from their living room.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 28th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Portland couldn't even support a triple A team.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » July 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm

bpd wrote:Years ago when SLC was being talked about for MLB, I thought it was a good idea. Now, I don't think it would work because of the fair amount of games being played on Sunday (which I don't get, but whatever). Now SLC is not talked about at all for MLB expansion, it is usually Portland, Montreal, San Antonio, Las Vegas. There is no way NFL would succeed. By the way, NFL attendance is down over the last few years. People would rather watch it from their living room.
Half of the cities that have mlb teams don't do a good job supporting them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » July 29th, 2019, 4:24 pm

I wouldn’t attended any games on Sunday but I would for sure support and watch. I would try to get to a Monday night game if the opportunity arose.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm
bpd wrote:Years ago when SLC was being talked about for MLB, I thought it was a good idea. Now, I don't think it would work because of the fair amount of games being played on Sunday (which I don't get, but whatever). Now SLC is not talked about at all for MLB expansion, it is usually Portland, Montreal, San Antonio, Las Vegas. There is no way NFL would succeed. By the way, NFL attendance is down over the last few years. People would rather watch it from their living room.
Half of the cities that have mlb teams don't do a good job supporting them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
If your thinking is that mlb doesn't sell out a stadium every game, or even say 60% they are not being supported by the fans, you are wrong. mlb owners of course would love to sell out every game, but they realize that they have 81 games in a regular season, and more in the post season. They hope they at least sell 50% to at least make some money. Attendance is supposedly up a little from last year, but the 2018 totals showed only 5 teams below 50% attendance. Interestingly enough, the team with the highest attendance percentage was a medium market team, the St Louis Cardinals, with 95.6 percent.
I think baseball is on reasonably solid ground for most of the teams. I didn't even get in to media contracts.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » July 29th, 2019, 9:59 pm

dyedblue wrote:Portland couldn't even support a triple A team.

And Vegas couldn’t support AA hockey, at least twice, but sold out for two straight years in the NHL. People aren’t as into minor league sports with a few cities serving as exceptions.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic