Rank the units

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Rank the units

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 20th, 2019, 6:08 am

1. Quarterbacks
trending: way up
Obviously this is our strength. Going into last year, I thought Love was going to be good, but had some worries about consistency. 54% completion in 2017, 8:6 td to interception ratio, and a loss to NMSU. Obviously Love turned into a consistent rock star with a lot of confidence. But it’s not just him that has me way up. I’ve liked Colombi since his high school tape. In his snaps last season, he looked great and put up good numbers. When you’re wondering if Cooper Legas can break the 4 deep, you’re in a QB renaissance for USU.

This group is more talented than Keeton/Kennedy.

2. Linebackers
trending: up
Similar story for the QBs of the defense. Woodward was a surprise. He won’t have the same year, imo, because defenses will key on him. Go ahead. Tipa is there and going to pick up the slack. I really wish Baron was still here.

3. DL
trending: up
On a defense returning 25.5 out of 32 sacks from last season, DL is going to look the most similar. Trending up because of the consistency. It’s basically juniors and seniors all the way down. There’s a lot of talent here, a lot of experience in the two deep, and a lot of size.

4. RB
trending: slightly down
If I based the trend here on preseason last year (like I did for QB more or less), I’d probably have it as way up.I like Bright. I loved Thompson. I think he made a mistake leaving. Bright ran for almost 900 yards as the second option in the rush game, but Thompson time and time again spun, pushed, and fell forward for the one, two, five yards we needed at that time. Bright won’t have that. Our top RB is a step down. That said, I really like Bright in his role: get him the ball in space and go.

Jalen Warren is one of my favorite newcomers. His commitment instantly made me feel comfortable about our run game without Thompson. Without him, I’d have been really worried. Add in Riley Burt and it’s talent that we just didn’t see a year ago had we known Thompson would leave. What’s that? Some freshman has been balling out since spring? Whooooo boy.

5. OL
trending: down
We lost one of our best groups in a while. But when you have recruits picking up a USU hat off the table sitting next to a USC hat, you have to have some confidence. Add in the crazy amount of playing time our two deep got thanks to blowouts and I really see this OL as having 3 games experience going into the season.

6. DBs
trending: down
Did you know 3 of our top 6 tacklers were DBs last year? They’re gone. But I don’t think we will be a lot worse than last year. Williams is great. Our spring camp happy surprises came at safety, and as good as Gage was against the run, we’ve all pulled some hair out watching him in other situations. Throw in some guys coming back from injury and there’s reason to feel good, but not great, about the unit as a whole.

7. WR/TE
trending: way down
I like Jordan, but I’m worried that he’s our top returner. He doesn’t have the hands of Tarver or Green (that drop on the first play of the third qtr vs BYU still haunts me). Don’t get me wrong. He’s a top 10 favorite on the team, but 2.3 catches a game doesn’t make me confident. My hope is that his numbers were repressed some what because of the amazing skill we had at WR. We lost over 2,000 yards at these positions. Mariner should be solid, but he has the same thing going on as Jordan: no volume. Scarver: electric, no volume. Thompkins: fast, no volume. I think we need a TVL type that is going to pull in anything hitting him in the slot. I think jordan has the talent to do this. We need a tarver replacement for jump balls and to stretch the field. If that isn’t Mariner, I don’t think it’s anybody. That scares me.

If Thompson made a mistake, Dax really messed up. I’d feel much better having him on the team. Terrell isn’t much of a drop though, imo, when you take into consideration Dax wasn’t full strength last year. Similar size.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Madmartigan

Jjoey53

Re: Rank the units

Post by Jjoey53 » July 20th, 2019, 9:58 am

Very good assessment, only thing I would disagree a bit is the WR. I think Nathan and Scarver will emerge and do fine. Also, another one will surface and do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 20th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Are these trends comparing the end of 2018 to the start of 2019? I assume so, but I'm dumb and often make bad assumptions.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 20th, 2019, 12:16 pm

I don't think I could make any of those assumptions except with the QB situation. So many players who the coaching staff are very excited about, but have played little or none. I don't know how all of these kids are going to play, so it would be a waste of my time for me to make an attempt. Based of how the coaches feel, I would say that you have rated the WR and OL too low, but again, we just don't know until they take the field.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm

We really cant compare positions to last year because there was so much switching. Stats would have been alot more comparable had the starters actually played more time.

BTW, Tarver dropped ALOT of balls - Im just sayin

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 20th, 2019, 12:53 pm

taniataylor wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:18 pm
We really cant compare positions to last year because there was so much switching. Stats would have been alot more comparable had the starters actually played more time.

What exactly are you sayin? :)

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 20th, 2019, 2:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:53 pm
taniataylor wrote:

What exactly are you sayin? :)
EXACTLY what’s on my mind....like always
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 20th, 2019, 3:33 pm

taniataylor wrote:

Machismo

Post by Machismo » July 20th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 3:33 pm
taniataylor wrote:

Tania right again.. Sure do love those Stormtrooper Unis, my fave by far!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 20th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:Very good assessment, only thing I would disagree a bit is the WR. I think Nathan and Scarver will emerge and do fine. Also, another one will surface and do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think they'll be fine. My point is more they're unproven. Skill is obviously there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm

I still think Greene it's going to be sorely missed. Dude was an animal on the field and his blocking was key on kickoffs, the run game, and screen plays. He was always going full speed.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 20th, 2019, 8:03 pm

dyedblue wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm
I still think Greene it's going to be sorely missed. Dude was an animal on the field and his blocking was key on kickoffs, the run game, and screen plays. He was always going full speed.

While I do agree that Green was great at all those aspects of the game, Mariner is coming from a program where it is imperative that a WR must be able to run block in order to see the field and Mariner started a lot of games there.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 20th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Just another FYI, Jordan’s catch percentage was 68.3%...Im not usually a Jordan rah rah on here but uhhhh...yea -

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

I have high hopes for Mariner abs it seems he is very excited to play for us. If Mariner steps up I think Nathan can find a lot of sieve to run and Scarver can get some home run balls.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm

taniataylor wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 8:24 pm
Just another FYI, Jordan’s catch percentage was 68.3%...Im not usually a Jordan rah rah on here but uhhhh...yea -
There you go digging up facts like stats and stuff. :)
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
taniataylor

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 20th, 2019, 9:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm
taniataylor wrote:
I mean, sometimes a Moms’ gotta do what a Moms’ gotta do ;)
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
aggies22

QuackAttackAggie

Rank the units

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 20th, 2019, 10:26 pm

taniataylor wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Same thing I've been saying: the concern is about volume. It's hard to know if that's a good stat without context. I assume that stat is from the team keeping track since it isn't an official NCAA stat. Using data that is available, he was 11th on the team in catch rate (but again that's using only 5 games or so that gave data on targets and 3 of them went 1/1).

None of that matters much to me because catch rate doesn't mean much. Receivers who are deep threats have bad catch rates. Gronkowski has a bad catch rate. Julio Jones too. In fact, from what I can see, there isn't a WR1 in the top 50 for catch rate in the NFL (which does track drops and targets). The leaders in catch rate are all backup RBs and third option slot guys. And honestly I don't even care about drops that much. It's all about getting open consistently.

I think he is going to be fine, but I don't think our group of WRs are as good as last year and neither does anybody that I've seen. I won't be surprised if he doubles his catches this year. That doesn't change the fact that we need a bigger guy to step up too.

I'm not attacking Jordan or anybody else. We've just gone from our best WR group to our fewest returning yards that I can ever remember.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 20th, 2019, 10:52 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 10:26 pm
taniataylor wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Same thing I've been saying: the concern is about volume. It's hard to know if that's a good stat without context. I assume that stat is from the team keeping track since it isn't an official NCAA stat. Using data that is available, he was 11th on the team in catch rate (but again that's using only 5 games or so that gave data on targets and 3 of them went 1/1).

None of that matters much to me because catch rate doesn't mean much. Receivers who are deep threats have bad catch rates. Gronkowski has a bad catch rate. Julio Jones too. In fact, from what I can see, there isn't a WR1 in the top 50 for catch rate in the NFL (which does track drops and targets). The leaders in catch rate are all backup RBs and third option slot guys. And honestly I don't even care about drops that much. It's all about getting open consistently.

I think he is going to be fine, but I don't think our group of WRs are as good as last year and neither does anybody that I've seen. I won't be surprised if he doubles his catches this year. That doesn't change the fact that we need a bigger guy to step up too.

I'm not attacking Jordan or anybody else. We've just gone from our best WR group to our fewest returning yards that I can ever remember.

Oh I know you’re not attacking him Quack, I do think that everyone here forgets that everyone’s stats would have been different had there not been been so much switching out or 2nd 1/2 pulls.
It seems every year at this time there is a full cup of concern because of all the unknown, I believe that every group is going to be prepared and until fall camp all of the unknowns are just a product of lack of football ( for us) and all of the newcomers including the coaching staff
(It was a MWC stat from their top 52)

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 21st, 2019, 2:11 pm

Some major concerns for me , despite coach speak the O line has very little experience when games where on the line. Big difference playing with a 40 point lead instead of a tight game against better players.

We need a running back that is good between the Tackles, new folks will need to be able to do that.

Receivers are a concern because there is not a returning possession receiver from last season. I also think we will have a drop off at Tight end Dax was damn good.

It could be that new kids will step in and get it done, but as of today I do not know for certain.

I'm not down on the team at all. I think we win 8 this season which would be very good for USU.

With 2 P-5 schools on the road, plus SDS and FSU in games in California, combined with BSU and YBU in Logan we have a tough row to hoe.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am

I think trending "way down" is a bit misleading. It's more of an unknown. It helps that they have Love throwing them passes. It helps that even our backup QBs have solid playing time. It helps that we have a pretty decent running game. It helps that we have what appears to be a good fit with OC. It is part of the college game that guys come and go. They are all still Division 1 football players, they have talent. I wouldn't write them off so quickly to say "way down".

It's the Defensive Backs that are usually the biggest worry for me and are this year. Often times, someone steps up and that concern is lessened. I was really on board the Shaq Bond train last year until that unfortunate injury. That being said, I'm never too worried about a Gary Andersen defense, especially considering we aren't really rebuilding and we have some absolute hosses in the front 7.

What cant be overstated for me either, for both sides of the ball, is having a serviceable punter to start the season as opposed to where we finished last season. Field position cannot be overstated in how important it is.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
oleblu111taniatayloraggies22AggieFBObsession

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » July 22nd, 2019, 10:11 pm

I disagree that Woodward won't have as good a year. Linebackers have great numbers when they have great D-linemen. We have that. Plus, another year of experience will help big time. Look for Woodward to thrive!
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post:
AggieFBObsession

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 5:42 pm

1) The Big
2) G
3) Mike Lewandowski

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic