Date selected to play byu

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 19th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Hopefully going forward our game against BYU will be held on the traditional conference weekend. I absolutely hate the idea of playing them in November.
Utah complain about it last year. Even the Idaho state is wanting to get out of playing them in November.

slcagg

Re: Date selected to play byu

Post by slcagg » July 20th, 2019, 5:12 am

I don’t think you’ll see us do it again. Although I think part of it might have been so we could get LSU on the schedule, which I w oils have liked playing them earlier as well.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 20th, 2019, 8:44 am

I do not like playing them between conference games. They hold the cards in this match up, because in the minds of many aggies it is the biggest game of the year. It is one of the few possible sellouts in Logan.

If USU was to drop them from the schedule for what ever the reason it could cost the A.D. his job. Until or if aggies decide that the conference is more important this kind of stuff will continue.

Of course to play them on LDS conference weekend makes USU look like BYU lite.IMHO

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 20th, 2019, 9:45 am

Being non LDS myself, I always liked the idea of playing BYU-U on your conference weekend. The weather is great, people are excited, and it gets very strong national attention. Keep it then and forget moving it again.

Also, outside of Mormons, most people nationally either don’t know or care it is conference weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 20th, 2019, 9:57 am

I am all in on Conference Weekend for the Wagon Wheel. I see the following benefits:

1. It eliminates the issue of scheduling against an event that many LDS members may choose to attend in place of a Saturday game.
2. The Friday kickoff almost always guarantees us a spot on ESPN/ESPN2. Can't beat that national attention.
3. BYU has front-loaded schedules, and I love the thought of their fans treating this game as a break in the action and then getting pummeled anyway.
4. In case of a loss, I don't have to go to church on Sunday and listen to BYU fans. Most of them are casual fans anyway and have forgotten about it by the next weekend.
5. I like that we get an extra day to rest and prepare for a conference game the week after. Since the turnaround season, we are 4-2 in games played the week after BYU (when we play them on Conference Weekend). One of those two losses was Boise State after we lost Chuckie.
6. It is a unique event that is held on Friday that reflects the fanbases' predominant culture. Sort of in the same vein as playing on Thanksgiving Thursday.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyFistBump

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 20th, 2019, 10:40 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 9:45 am
Being non LDS myself, I always liked the idea of playing BYU-U on your conference weekend. The weather is great, people are excited, and it gets very strong national attention. Keep it then and forget moving it again.

Also, outside of Mormons, most people nationally either don’t know or care it is conference weekend.

I should have put down as a main reason I do not like playing it on conference weekend is because it is on a Friday. That's when I like to watch high school football. It does get more media and T.V. coverage because it is on a Friday.

I do wish our fans were more concerned with MWC games than they are with this one. BSU is the most important game for me.

I very likely will give my seat in the club area for the YBU game to a Ute fan I know from the Valley he has a warm spot for USU so in a effort to show him what can be received for a small amount of money as a USU ticket holder compared to what he pay's to go down to SLC for a much worse seat.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
donlarson8

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 20th, 2019, 12:42 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

I should have put down as a main reason I do not like playing it on conference weekend is because it is on a Friday. That's when I like to watch high school football. It does get more media and T.V. coverage because it is on a Friday.

I do wish our fans were more concerned with MWC games than they are with this one. BSU is the most important game for me.

I very likely will give my seat in the club area for the YBU game to a Ute fan I know from the Valley he has a warm spot for USU so in a effort to show him what can be received for a small amount of money as a USU ticket holder compared to what he pay's to go down to SLC for a much worse seat.

Having local HS football take a hit when they play is the main downside to having the game then.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 20th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 12:42 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

Having local HS football take a hit when they play is the main downside to having the game then.
It is a downside for me, because I enjoy going to High school games. It also can be a game in between conference games which is a tough thing. I would like to have all the OOC games done by the time we start MWC play.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » July 20th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Keep it General Conference weekend - it keeps attendance high that week, which would otherwise take a hit.

Never play BYU in November again.

Just my opinion.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 22nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Hopefully going forward our game against BYU will be held on the traditional conference weekend.
I like that my time away from Utah has caused me to forget what you meant when you said "conference weekend." I honestly thought initially that you were talking about playing the game during the MWC "conference" season - until I read down further in the thread.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 22nd, 2019, 7:40 pm

What difference does it make if we play them in November vs. the first Friday in October? Just win.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 22nd, 2019, 7:47 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:What difference does it make if we play them in November vs. the first Friday in October? Just win.
Uhm...let's see. We play Boise State then BYU then the MW championship game or we play Boise, have a bye week, and then play in the championship game.

That's the difference. Sorry, but I'm losing patience with those that don't get it or don't care. It is stupid to play the game in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
JSHarvey

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » July 23rd, 2019, 8:12 am

dyedblue wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 7:47 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:What difference does it make if we play them in November vs. the first Friday in October? Just win.
Uhm...let's see. We play Boise State then BYU then the MW championship game or we play Boise, have a bye week, and then play in the championship game.

That's the difference. Sorry, but I'm losing patience with those that don't get it or don't care. It is stupid to play the game in November.

This.

It's nice to beat BYU like a drum, but at the end of the day we need to optimize our chances at winning the Mountain West. Playing BYU in November is a distraction from that goal.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post (total 4):
thegreendalegelfWAAggieJSHarveyFistBump

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 10:11 am

We have also won 3 straight against byu on conference weekend.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » July 23rd, 2019, 10:21 am

As it's a non-conference game, if it's going to be on the schedule I'd like it to be in September. I don't hate it being LDS conference weekend, but I don't love having it during conference play, so ideally would be earlier. Also, living/working basically anywhere south of Davis County makes it hard to attend when the game is in Logan on a Friday night. I'll make it, but it's a PITA. College football should be played on Saturday afternoon whenever possible. When I lived out of state, I didn't particularly care when the game was since it was on TV.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

ususports

Post by ususports » July 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am

dyedblue wrote:

Speaking of people who don't get it, it was USU that requested that this year's game be played in November so that we could schedule LSU. The game was originally scheduled for conference weekend, but we asked for the change.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfFistBump

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 23rd, 2019, 11:44 am

ususports wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am
dyedblue wrote:

Speaking of people who don't get it, it was USU that requested that this year's game be played in November so that we could schedule LSU. The game was originally scheduled for conference weekend, but we asked for the change.
I believe you are correct, it is indeed sad that we must continue to play revenue games in order to have enough coin to succeed. If we ever get the fan support to make it possible to just play OOC games that are home and home that will be a great day.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieFistBump

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 12:25 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 11:44 am
If we ever get the fan support to make it possible to just play OOC games that are home and home that will be a great day.
Quoted for truth.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
FistBump

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 23rd, 2019, 12:59 pm

dyedblue wrote:

Don't be that guy. A LOT of scheduling is outside the control of our own administrators. Every now and then we will have to play the Y on a weekend other than the Friday before conference. Especially if an opportunity for a money game presents itself.

Please provide some clarification to your rebuttal.... We play byu on November 2nd and don't play the Broncos until November 23rd. What alternate reality does your interpretation of the schedule exist in which Boise State is first on the schedule, followed by BYU, followed by the MW Championship that we haven't qualified to play in since 2013?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 23rd, 2019, 1:22 pm

It doesn't matter when the Aggies play them but it does line up perfectly for the Aggies to possibly finish off their bowl eligibility dreams. They might come into that game with only 1 win. Even if they have 2 they would have to beat SDSU on the road in the season finale to get to 6 if the Aggies beat them. Pretty fun stuff.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 23rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
ususports wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am
dyedblue wrote:

I believe you are correct, it is indeed sad that we must continue to play revenue games in order to have enough coin to succeed. If we ever get the fan support to make it possible to just play OOC games that are home and home that will be a great day.

That is going to be very hard. Cache Co. only has 150k residents, so to get a stadium up to 30k and draw more fans is going to take a lot of people coming a distance to games.

Locked Previous topicNext topic