Questions about Zone Defenses

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usubobcat

Questions about Zone Defenses

Post by usubobcat » March 14th, 2019, 1:03 pm

So it seems like I find myself often being annoyed when my team runs a zone defense, because it seems like teams with any sort of decent offense can always find the soft spots in a zone and exploit them, which usually seems to lead to a reception by a wide-open receiver.

Am I the only one who dislikes zone coverage? Why do teams run them? Is it because you theoretically should always have somebody near where the ball goes? It reduces the likelihood of catastrophe when one player gets beat by his man? Is it used simply as a different look to throw off the opposing quarterback? Does it allow the defense to rest a bit? Is it easier to disguise where the blitz is coming from, or compensate for the blitzer by still having someone in the general area?

If you can't tell, I'm excited about the prospect of playing a lot of good man coverage. Of course, I understand that a good man scheme will fall apart and not work at all if your personnel, especially the corners, can't handle it. I'm hoping we've got the guys for it!

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line