North Texas Reminds Me of....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2018, 6:43 am

...USU 2012. Three years ago UNT won one game. New coach came in and changed the mindset of the players and culture and now they are one of the top offensive teams in the nation. Their HC and OC spurned offers from P5 schools to stay put (unlike USU 2012) and continue to build the program. Plus, their QB, who threw 27 td's vs 5 int's this year is just a junior.

They seem really excited at the opportunity to play a top 25 team in USU and prove themselves.

Hopefully, our players have been able to focus amid all the distractions so they can finish with another 11 win season.

AggieSkiBum

Re: North Texas Reminds Me of....

Post by AggieSkiBum » December 14th, 2018, 7:48 am

That's what worries me. The line for the game has already been cut in half, indicating plenty of money coming in on North Texas. That loss at the Donkeys was heart-wrenching. Now our boys play against a team that is potentially better than Boise. I'd like to hope that the team responds well to everything going on, but nothing would surprise me. If we win by 20 or lose by 20 it wouldn't be a shock. This North Texas squad is pretty good.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2018, 7:57 am

AggieSkiBum wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 7:48 am
That's what worries me. The line for the game has already been cut in half, indicating plenty of money coming in on North Texas. That loss at the Donkeys was heart-wrenching. Now our boys play against a team that is potentially better than Boise. I'd like to hope that the team responds well to everything going on, but nothing would surprise me. If we win by 20 or lose by 20 it wouldn't be a shock. This North Texas squad is pretty good.
I agree, UNT is a very good team and yet there doesn't seem to be much discussion about the game. Our players are at a disadvantage with the turmoil among coaching and at least among the fanbase, it appears we are either taking UNT very lightly or just not excited about the matchup.

Meanwhile, UNT is chomping at the bit to prove themselves against a top 25 team. They have an offense that can hang points on anyone.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 14th, 2018, 8:03 am

They won an sec road game. They've proved themselves. Hope we can too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 14th, 2018, 8:04 am

I know that every match up is different, yadda yadda yadda, but keep in mind that UNT lost to a 4-8 Old Dominion and barely hung on to beat one of the worst teams in the country, UTEP, by only 3 points. YES we had a bad game against CSU in the snow, YES we lost to Boise in Boise by 9 points. I get it. But if you are doubting this team at this point? HA! Remember, Hawaii, a team we CRUSHED on the Island, ended up 8-5. Hawaii is one game away from having a similar winning record to UNT. Keep those things in mind.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » December 14th, 2018, 8:13 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 8:04 am
I know that every match up is different, yadda yadda yadda, but keep in mind that UNT lost to a 4-8 Old Dominion and barely hung on to beat one of the worst teams in the country, UTEP, by only 3 points. YES we had a bad game against CSU in the snow, YES we lost to Boise in Boise by 9 points. I get it. But if you are doubting this team at this point? HA! Remember, Hawaii, a team we CRUSHED on the Island, ended up 8-5. Hawaii is one game away from having a similar winning record to UNT. Keep those things in mind.
If we win by 20 points, and I think our guys are capable of doing just that, it wouldn't surprise me. This North Texas team is pretty good though, and nobody is talking about it. I hope our boys come prepared and play like they're capable of!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2018, 8:27 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 8:04 am
I'm not doubting our team at all; merely pointing out that there really is zero energy - at least here - about the game. Our players are at a severe disadvantage with the coaching turmoil while UNT is hungry to prove themselves.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 14th, 2018, 9:30 am

We show up to play and we win by 2 scores. If we show up with a Meh attitude, we’ll get beat by 2 scores. I really don’t think this group of seniors is going to let that happen though.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 14th, 2018, 10:12 am

Last night on either channel 4 or 13 was a quote from Quinn Ficklin. He said the team is having good practice’s and their goal for the game is not just to win...but to DESTROY NT. He said destroy with some emotion.

Doesn’t seem like we are at any disadvantage. I guess we will know soon)

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » December 14th, 2018, 10:54 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 10:12 am
Last night on either channel 4 or 13 was a quote from Quinn Ficklin. He said the team is having good practice’s and their goal for the game is not just to win...but to DESTROY NT. He said destroy with some emotion.

[/quote

I love Quin's emotion, hope they can channel that into the game. Did they have it for Boise?

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » December 14th, 2018, 11:35 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 10:12 am

I hope he's right ... if our boys play like they're capable of, it's a 3 TD win!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:...USU 2012. Three years ago UNT won one game. New coach came in and changed the mindset of the players and culture and now they are one of the top offensive teams in the nation. Their HC and OC spurned offers from P5 schools to stay put (unlike USU 2012) and continue to build the program. Plus, their QB, who threw 27 td's vs 5 int's this year is just a junior.

They seem really excited at the opportunity to play a top 25 team in USU and prove themselves.

Hopefully, our players have been able to focus amid all the distractions so they can finish with another 11 win season.
Can I say I spurned Kansas State too then? Kleimanm won the job over him, he didn’t turn it down. But the rest of your post seems legit.

Hail Aggies!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 14th, 2018, 3:50 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:...USU 2012. Three years ago UNT won one game. New coach came in and changed the mindset of the players and culture and now they are one of the top offensive teams in the nation. Their HC and OC spurned offers from P5 schools to stay put (unlike USU 2012) and continue to build the program. Plus, their QB, who threw 27 td's vs 5 int's this year is just a junior.

Can I say I spurned Kansas State too then? Kleimanm won the job over him, he didn’t turn it down. But the rest of your post seems legit.

I haven't taken any calls from Alabama recently...read into that what you will :cheers:

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » December 14th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Seems to me like both USU and UNT are teams with solid offenses and great, underrated QBs who also benefitted from weak schedules this season.

MWC >>> CUSA

Aggies by two scores

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 14th, 2018, 5:57 pm

If we come to play I think we win by 17,
Player led Team.
I think the green is getting too much credit , they are good but cmon is their D as good as Sparty, Boise or Wyo? I doubt it.
Do they have a bruising back like Maddison that can wear us down, I don't see it. I hope they try and run it on us, try to keep it away from us. If they try that I think it'll play into our strength.
If they try and throw it a lot I see some picks, they are good but I'm not buying the hype. Some talk like this 5'9" QB is as good as Rypien....
Vaggie listed their record in another post which I think was spot on.

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » December 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm

I can't help but recall the disaster of the first Hum Bowl when we were losing Lucifer and staff. I know a lot different in many ways but still................

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm

BobWilson wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 6:32 pm
I can't help but recall the disaster of the first Hum Bowl when we were losing Lucifer and staff. I know a lot different in many ways but still................
This reminds me exactly of that same situation. I think the result may be similar. NT really wants to win their 10th game, so I think they will come in hungry and motivated. Quin’s comments from the Monday presser may also show the general attitude of the team and that they really just don’t want to be there. NT fans will outnumber those of USU...probably not like NMSU last year, but 3-1 or 4-1. I’m going to say NT by 14-17.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

BobWilson wrote:
The Coaches show back then was at Quiznos, a friend and I were over there getting some food while Al was doing his show with John L. Before the North Texas Game. He's was in very good spirits, after the show we wished him and the players luck. As he was leaving the man was literally "Skipping" out of the front doors of Quiznos.
My friend and I looked at each other and wonderd WTF? Now know why. We went on to lose that game and then the Bowl game were I heard some of the players the night before were eating Marijuana and causing a big ruckus. Hated that time.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 14th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Machismo wrote:
December 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm
BobWilson wrote:
The Coaches show back then was at Quiznos, a friend and I were over there getting some food while Al was doing his show with John L. Before the North Texas Game. He's was in very good spirits, after the show we wished him and the players luck. As he was leaving the man was literally "Skipping" out of the front doors of Quiznos.
My friend and I looked at each other and wonderd WTF? Now know why. We went on to lose that game and then the Bowl game were I heard some of the players the night before were eating Marijuana and causing a big ruckus. Hated that time.
I also recall, JL was approaching it as a gift or a reward for a good season, as if it didn't matter win or lose. He said it was meant to enjoy and take in the experience. We go on to lose the game in frustrating manner. Presently, I like the attitude of QF; it's awesome to hear and feel. I believe this team will come out prepared and ready to go. The loss against BSU was painful and I don't see us losing this game. 35-24 USU.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 14th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I never did pay attention to the crowd when on the field so the numbers don't really matter, and most who have really played the game at any level should tend to agree.

There are concerns I have about our coaches being able to make effective real time position adjustments during the game. We are a better team, played in a tougher league and have more wins.... just the coaching changes are an issue for me.

redburnday
Has thanked: 0

Post by redburnday » December 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

I’ve forgotten most of the details from that game but I seem to remember our dudes making the news for some bar fight in Boise. That news story was immediately followed by Cincinnati players visiting children at the children’s hospital. I thought the contrast didn’t look so good for us. I hope I’m wrong but I feel like North Texas might be a little more motivated to put the ceramic pot in their trophy case tomorrow. I just hope we have the talent to overcome that. This feels like the Wyoming game to me.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 14th, 2018, 8:04 pm

redburnday wrote:I’ve forgotten most of the details from that game but I seem to remember our dudes making the news for some bar fight in Boise. That news story was immediately followed by Cincinnati players visiting children at the children’s hospital. I thought the contrast didn’t look so good for us. I hope I’m wrong but I feel like North Texas might be a little more motivated to put the ceramic pot in their trophy case tomorrow. I just hope we have the talent to overcome that. This feels like the Wyoming game to me.
I know a lot of people thought Quin Ficklins comments about not knowing what he will “do in Albuquerque for four days”, was funny, but it’s not sitting well with me. I know people in Utah get pretty riled up when basketball players complain about coming to Utah. I get that he isn’t a pro athlete, but c’mon. You’ll be there to play football! Plenty of people would love that opportunity... especially being a senior, you think he would have a better attitude about getting his one and only bowl win. If I was coaching, comments like that would make me seriously consider leaving his butt at home.

Locked Previous topicNext topic