S.I. Bowl Prediction for us

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueAggie

S.I. Bowl Prediction for us

Post by BigBlueAggie » November 25th, 2018, 3:41 pm

SI's bowl predictions came out late yesterday and has us going to the Frisco Bowl Dec. 19 vs Temple. I'd be totally down for that. Be nice to get a new look at a bowl. I just wish it was the "San" Francisco Bowl. But it is in Frisco Texas (just 30 miles north of Dallas).

It is one of the last "At Large" bowl games, played at Toyota Stadium, a relatively new/modern stadium that is mostly used for their pro soccer team I think.

Only downer would be the low payout. $750,000 (not sure that is right, but that is what I could find). Sigh. What could have been....

For comparison:
Cheez-It Bowl (formerly Copper/Cactus): $1 million
New Mex Bowl: $1 million
Las Vegas Bowl: $2.7 million
Idaho (potato) Bowl: $950,000
Hawaii Bowl: $1 million
Arizona Bowl: $412,000

Payouts are from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... bowl_games

However some are questionable and others are better than they say because they include compensation for travel etc.

Winner of Championship will obviously end up in Las Vegas short of Central Florida losing.

Leaving the premium teams of Fresno, San Diego State and USU to have first dibs on the next level down. I believe due to TV market size (yes I know SLC is a bigger market technically than Fresno, but its a Cal school), and travel history both teams would be preferable to us unfortunately. So I think the Frisco bowl makes some sense.

Going to be a long week while we wait to see where our next game is!

Here is the link: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... redictions

GeoAg

Re: S.I. Bowl Prediction for us

Post by GeoAg » November 25th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I believe we would be ahead of San Diego State in bowl preference

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SectionFaggie

Re: ESPN's take

Post by SectionFaggie » November 25th, 2018, 9:03 pm

ESPN.com duo of Bonagura and Sherman has us in Lockeed Martin Armed Forces in Fort Worth Dec. 22 vs. Army (what a fun, hugely marketable opportunity for us) or the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl Dec. 29 vs. Troy. That would also be a good yardstick heading into next season, but less audience likely.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ns-week-13

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 25th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I think our best option is for UCF to lose, which would likely free up the Cheezit for us. I like any option not in boise.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

cbingham

Post by cbingham » November 26th, 2018, 4:51 am

Feel like getting to one of the TX bowls would be huge for recruiting. Given coach relationships we seem to have more and more players coming out of TX and OK.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » November 26th, 2018, 6:56 am

Anything but the Potato Bowl. I can't watch a game on that blue carpet monstrosity.

mcaggie1

Re: ESPN's take

Post by mcaggie1 » November 26th, 2018, 8:04 am

SectionFaggie wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 9:03 pm
ESPN.com duo of Bonagura and Sherman has us in Lockeed Martin Armed Forces in Fort Worth Dec. 22 vs. Army (what a fun, hugely marketable opportunity for us) or the NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl Dec. 29 vs. Troy. That would also be a good yardstick heading into next season, but less audience likely.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ns-week-13
I have a son in Plano...20 minutes from Frisco.....and 35 or 40 minutes from FT. Worth. I’m there!!
I didn’t check....but doesn’t the AF Bowl pay more than the Frisco? Checked it. $900,000.

Also....AF Bowl in a 45,000 seat stadium. Frisco in a 20,000 seat soccer stadium. Yuck. Oh well, I guess it would look more full. ;)

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 26th, 2018, 8:16 am

cbingham wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 4:51 am
Feel like getting to one of the TX bowls would be huge for recruiting. Given coach relationships we seem to have more and more players coming out of TX and OK.

Agreed. And the Rocquemore family would be there in force. Less than 20 minutes away from Frisco.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 26th, 2018, 8:55 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:16 am
cbingham wrote:

Agreed. And the Rocquemore family would be there in force. Less than 20 minutes away from Frisco.
I am firmly team Cheez-it Bowl if that is available, but the Armed Forces or Frisco Bowl vs. an American Conference team would be fun too.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 26th, 2018, 11:22 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 8:55 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
cbingham wrote:

I am firmly team Cheez-it Bowl if that is available, but the Armed Forces or Frisco Bowl vs. an American Conference team would be fun too.
Is the Cheez-it Bowl a possibility???

Donman

Post by Donman » November 26th, 2018, 11:40 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:22 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
cbingham wrote:

It would appear to me that there are many possibilities on the table. I've tried anticipating them all but I think it will drive us all crazy until we get notice next Sunday.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 26th, 2018, 11:43 am

Donman wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:40 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:22 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
cbingham wrote:

It would appear to me that there are many possibilities on the table. I've tried anticipating them all but I think it will drive us all crazy until we get notice next Sunday.
Well it will certainly be better than last year. It was pretty stressful sitting in church wondering what was going on with the Arizona bowl. At least we for sure will be in a bowl this year.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 26th, 2018, 12:16 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 11:43 am
Well it will certainly be better than last year. It was pretty stressful sitting in church wondering what was going on with the Arizona bowl. At least we for sure will be in a bowl this year.
Let's not count chickens. We once had a basketball team that went 25-3 (similar win percentage to this year's football team) and was left out of the NCAA tournament (after a semifinal loss in the conference tournament).

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Cheez-It bowl would probably require Washington State to get picked for an at-large NY6...which is very possible given that they are a 10 win team and there just aren't that many P5 10 win teams to choose from. They would probably have to be picked over a 9-3 Penn State. Anyway, if that happens, the PAC XII won't be able to fill the Cheez-it and it opens up for the MWC as the backup. For us to go to the Cheez-It they would have to take us over the loser of the Championship game which would be more likely if it was Fresno.

The ideal would be that Washington State gets picked and UCF loses. This would mean the winner of the Championship game would get the NY6 bid and the loser of the championship game would likely go to Vegas or Cheez-It with us getting the other.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 26th, 2018, 12:50 pm

jpswensen wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 12:16 pm
Let's not count chickens. We once had a basketball team that went 25-3 (similar win percentage to this year's football team) and was left out of the NCAA tournament (after a semifinal loss in the conference tournament).
I'm all about not counting chickens, but we will for sure be in a bowl game. In the past decade has a team with 7 or more wins not received a bowl invite? We have 10 wins and a pretty exciting product to put on the field.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm

November 26th, 2018, 12:50 pm
jpswensen wrote:
I'm all about not counting chickens, but we will for sure be in a bowl game. In the past decade has a team with 7 or more wins not received a bowl invite? We have 10 wins and a pretty exciting product to put on the field.
I believe LA Tech back when we won the WAC? If memory serves correctly, they were their own worst enemy. They held out for a bigger bowl and wound up with nothing.

I would be surprised if this happened to us. You have a bunch of 6-6 teams in the MWC that would have to be taken over us.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 26th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Donman wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 12:56 pm
November 26th, 2018, 12:50 pm
jpswensen wrote:
I believe LA Tech back when we won the WAC? If memory serves correctly, they were their own worst enemy. They held out for a bigger bowl and wound up with nothing.

I would be surprised if this happened to us. You have a bunch of 6-6 teams in the MWC that would have to be taken over us.
Yeah, but they declined a bowl they thought was beneath them. Hopefully we're not stupid enough to do that, though we are in a similar situation.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » November 27th, 2018, 12:20 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 3:41 pm
SI's bowl predictions came out late yesterday and has us going to the Frisco Bowl Dec. 19 vs Temple. I'd be totally down for that. Be nice to get a new look at a bowl. I just wish it was the "San" Francisco Bowl. But it is in Frisco Texas (just 30 miles north of Dallas).

It is one of the last "At Large" bowl games, played at Toyota Stadium, a relatively new/modern stadium that is mostly used for their pro soccer team I think.

Only downer would be the low payout. $750,000 (not sure that is right, but that is what I could find). Sigh. What could have been....

For comparison:
Cheez-It Bowl (formerly Copper/Cactus): $1 million
New Mex Bowl: $1 million
Las Vegas Bowl: $2.7 million
Idaho (potato) Bowl: $950,000
Hawaii Bowl: $1 million
Arizona Bowl: $412,000

Payouts are from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... bowl_games

However some are questionable and others are better than they say because they include compensation for travel etc.

Winner of Championship will obviously end up in Las Vegas short of Central Florida losing.

Leaving the premium teams of Fresno, San Diego State and USU to have first dibs on the next level down. I believe due to TV market size (yes I know SLC is a bigger market technically than Fresno, but its a Cal school), and travel history both teams would be preferable to us unfortunately. So I think the Frisco bowl makes some sense.

Going to be a long week while we wait to see where our next game is!

Here is the link: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... redictions
Those are total payouts. Divide those by 2 and that is what USU would be receiving for participation. The payout from the LV bowl would be nice (1.3 mil per) but they’ll take Fresno if Boise goes to the NY6.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » November 27th, 2018, 2:12 pm

SBnations updated predictions has:
Las Vegas: Fresno st vs Stanford
Cheez-it: Utah State vs TCU
Potato: Nevada vs NIU
New Mexico: Marshall vs Boise st
Arizona: San Diego St vs ULM

I would love that matchup in the cheez-it with a middle P5 we can beat.
If I was a Boise fan I would not be happy at all if it plays out like this. IMO I dont think it will.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 27th, 2018, 2:27 pm

I believe the MWC itself gets 50% of the bowl gross from any conference team that participates, then Utah State gets 50% of the remaining balance before the rest of the schools get their cut. The other MWC schools in then divvy up the remaining 25% in equal portions. Anyone with more or better information feel free to jump in here.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 27th, 2018, 2:49 pm

CHEEZ IT CHEEZ IT CHEEZ IT! :)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » November 27th, 2018, 2:53 pm

If we don’t get the Cheez-It bowl, I really hope we get either the Armed Forces, vs a ranked Army team, or the Frisco Bowl as an at-large vs an AAC team.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » November 27th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Toyota Stadium (Frisco bowl) is a cool venue to watch football. It was the main field that Jason Shelley (U of U qb) played on in high school. They built the star (Dallas Cowboy training facility) that is also used for Frisco high school games. The Armed Forces bowl is actually in Ft Worth at TCU. I would selfishly love either option as that is an easy drive for me.

If we could get into the cheez it bowl with TCU, that would be worth the trip to watch that game as well.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 27th, 2018, 4:44 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 2:53 pm
If we don’t get the Cheez-It bowl, I really hope we get either the Armed Forces, vs a ranked Army team, or the Frisco Bowl as an at-large vs an AAC team.
If we can't get a P5, I would like the AAC matchup because it could help start changing the narrative that the AAC is the best G5.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 27th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Looks like the Arizona Bowl will be open for a MWC team this year as well, that's good news for the conference. I hope Boise gets the Fiesta Bowl, I think we'd have a shot at LV if that happens.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

dogie

Post by dogie » November 27th, 2018, 6:18 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Looks like the Arizona Bowl will be open for a MWC team this year as well, that's good news for the conference. I hope Boise gets the Fiesta Bowl, I think we'd have a shot at LV if that happens.
The Arizona Bowl is one of the basic MWC tie-ins, so I don’t think there is anything new here.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 27th, 2018, 8:48 pm

If Fresno loses to Boise, I do not understand why they are a logical choice over usu.

Locked Previous topicNext topic