Hartwell should fire Wells too

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Naked Bull Rider

Hartwell should fire Wells too

Post by Naked Bull Rider » March 11th, 2018, 11:39 pm

If 3 losing seasons in a row is the measure by which a USU coach gets canned, then Hartwell should sack up and have the balls to give Matt the boot too.

GeoAg

Re: Hartwell should fire Wells too

Post by GeoAg » March 11th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Disagree. 8-9 wins this year will have you feeling better.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » March 11th, 2018, 11:55 pm

I think this year s key, they have 18 starters back and 8-9 wins is attainable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » March 12th, 2018, 12:05 am

Can't bag on Duryea so back to Wells now?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 12th, 2018, 9:12 am

With any coach you need to have expectations. It was reported on here that Wells needed to get to a bowl game to save his job this year and he met that expectation. He also had a .500 record in MW play. It wasn't a great season but it appears that he did what he needed to do.

Old Timer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Old Timer » March 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Go for it , but don't to forget to include Jana

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm

This is no doubt a make or break year for Matt Wells. I think fans will be content with what the team does this year(though probably not blown away) and Matt will get a short extension. Probably another 2 years.

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » March 12th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Disagree. Don’t like Matt, but there are some key differences in the MW situation vs that of Duryea. Matt barely saved his job this season. 2018 is do or die for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donman

Post by Donman » March 12th, 2018, 1:53 pm

USU has a basketball history that didn't exist with football.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 12th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:39 pm
If 3 losing seasons in a row is the measure by which a USU coach gets canned, then Hartwell should sack up and have the balls to give Matt the boot too.
Oh....Please!
We are poised talent wise, and schedule wise for a solid 8 win minimum season. I see possible 9. Yeah, let's fire Matt at this juncture.
If we fall flat on our face and barely get 6 wins.......then, fine get a new coach. But why bring this up at this point, just because we are making a coaching change from a coach who has had NO success. Wells has been less than stellar the last few years, but he has had great success, and it looks like he is now headed in the right direction.

Geeeesh!

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 12th, 2018, 3:16 pm

I am amazed that we can be in March and people can be calling for his head still. Relax. Nothing will change until the season, whether you like him or not, now isn't the time. Support the team and if we start to see problems during for the season, call up ole Harty and tell him what you think. But the time for a change as passed. We can't make a move now without getting in a bad spot because the coaching carousel has ended. Save it for the season. Right now our job is to get way to hyped about the season and start thinking that we are in a position to win the MW, go to the CFP, and win the natty, even though we all know it won't happen.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 12th, 2018, 3:20 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:I am amazed that we can be in March and person can be calling for his head still. Relax. Nothing will change until the season, whether you like him or not, now isn't the time. Support the team and if we start to see problems during for the season, call up ole Harty and tell him what you think. But the time for a change as passed. We can't make a move now without getting in a bad spot because the coaching carousel has ended. Save it for the season. Right now our job is to get way to hyped about the season and start thinking that we are in a position to win the MW, go to the CFP, and win the natty, even though we all know it won't happen.
‘Person’. FIFY

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 12th, 2018, 4:15 pm

In Wells' defense I do feel like the football program has upward momentum and some cause for optimism right now. Guess we'll see after next season.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 12th, 2018, 4:20 pm

GeoAg wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 11:42 pm
Well that's optimistic. For Wells to win 8-9 games, he's going to have to coach and produce offense a lot better in close games and during the 4th quarter. We don't win many close games late and I attribute that to poor offensive approach and poor coaching. I expect something closer to 7 wins leaving us in limbo with coaching again.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Hartwell can only die on so many hills. His biggest problem is basketball right now, not football. Women's basketball was actually a bigger train wreck than men's. But nobody much cares because it isn't a money sport like the big 2 are and expectations are negligible. But USU is under-performing in pretty much every area right now confernence-wise. I'm feeling a little like SJS fans must feel, i.e., is there any end to this dark tunnel?

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm

USUBlue wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 4:20 pm
GeoAg wrote:
Well that's optimistic. For Wells to win 8-9 games, he's going to have to coach and produce offense a lot better in close games and during the 4th quarter. We don't win many close games late and I attribute that to poor offensive approach and poor coaching. I expect something closer to 7 wins leaving us in limbo with coaching again.
I disagree. I think given our schedule, he’s being realistic. Optimistic would be a 10 Win season (only losing to Boise and Michigan State).

Expecting only 7 wins, injures barring, is really selling the team short don’t you think?

We return our whole offensive line, 6 of our 7 front 7 (with 2 power 5 transfers coming in), our starting QB, our top 2 receivers, a pretty solid secondary, and 3 of the teams that we lost to last year just lost most of their offensive production (New Mexico State, Wyoming, and Colorado State).

If we only win 7 games Wells should be gone. Period.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 12th, 2018, 5:54 pm

This year we were returning something like 7 starters (one of the lowest numbers in the country) from a 3-win team. We were predicted to finish at the bottom of our division. Matt Wells turned that into a bowl team. I'm not ready to give him a lifetime contract, but he certainly deserves another year. I think Hartwell should have given him at least a short extension. If we miss a bowl game next year (or even finish 6-7 again), then it's time to think about making a change. But I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have a much better season next year and we can finally see an end to the endless "fire Wells" threads.

Sike

Post by Sike » March 12th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Last 3 seasons:

Matt Wells won 15 out of 38 games, which equals .394 win %

Tim Duryea won 47 out of 49 games, which equals .490 win %

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » March 12th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Sike wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 6:00 pm
Last 3 seasons:

Bad analogy. We can't schedule easy wins in football like we do in basketball. Usually we only have one cupcake OOC game in football along with one money game that is an automatic loss most seasons. The expectations are higher in basketball because it's much easier to coast to a winning record.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » March 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Sike wrote:
Last 3 seasons:

Apples to grapefruit comparison. Wells has taken USU to 2 bowl games in that time, even though we lost them both. Duryea has zero post-season invites and none were on the horizon. Wells' conference record has been 4 games under .500 over the last 3 years. Duryea hasn't sniffed at a .500 conference record. Wells' trajectory is up this next year (and darn well better be!). Duryea's trajectory was flat.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 12th, 2018, 7:02 pm

utaggies wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Sike wrote:
Last 3 seasons:

Apples to grapefruit comparison. Wells has taken USU to 2 bowl games in that time, even though we lost them both. Duryea has zero post-season invites and none were on the horizon. Wells' conference record has been 4 games under .500 over the last 3 years. Duryea hasn't sniffed at a .500 conference record. Wells' trajectory is up this next year (and darn well better be!). Duryea's trajectory was flat.
I don’t have any confidence in Wells, but he is certainly earned the right to coach this year and prove what he can do. If you can finish one or two in our division and win eight games, clearly an extension is in order. If you win six or seven games maybe he just coaches out his contract.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 7:07 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 6:24 pm
Sike wrote:
Last 3 seasons:

Bad analogy. We can't schedule easy wins in football like we do in basketball. Usually we only have one cupcake OOC game in football along with one money game that is an automatic loss most seasons. The expectations are higher in basketball because it's much easier to coast to a winning record.
I hate to agree with StanfordAggie, but this is accurate. Matt Wells went .500 in league the past two years. Duryea never did.
Then when you take into account ooc games it is complete apples and oranges. Here is what Duryea beat last year ooc: Montana State, Mississippi Valley State, Northeastern, New Hampshire, UC Irvine, Life Pacific and Youngstown State. In football you don't get that luxury. We only get to schedule 1 game similar to those.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Wells deserves next year. If he doesn't improve the program I will agree with his critics, but he doubled the win total last year. You don't fire a coach who took the program from 3 to 6 wins and a bowl birth especially with mostly a new team. Again if he fails to keep improving we can talk, but for now it was the right call to bring him back.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 12th, 2018, 7:13 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm
USUBlue wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
I disagree. I think given our schedule, he’s being realistic. Optimistic would be a 10 Win season (only losing to Boise and Michigan State).

Expecting only 7 wins, injures barring, is really selling the team short don’t you think?

We return our whole offensive line, 6 of our 7 front 7 (with 2 power 5 transfers coming in), our starting QB, our top 2 receivers, a pretty solid secondary, and 3 of the teams that we lost to last year just lost most of their offensive production (New Mexico State, Wyoming, and Colorado State).

If we only win 7 games it will be a disappointment, but I doubt USU fires a coach with a winning record. I don't think we are there yet as a program. If Wells goes 7-5 next year I'd be very surprised if he is let go.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 7:13 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm
USUBlue wrote:
GeoAg wrote:

If we only win 7 games it will be a disappointment, but I doubt USU fires a coach with a winning record. I don't think we are there yet as a program. If Wells goes 7-5 next year I'd be very surprised if he is let go.
Valid point. Technically he would be improving the record too, so they would probably hang onto him after that.

stang

Post by stang » March 13th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Wells absolutely deserves another year. If things don't go well this year, it's time for a change. But he earned one more shot. I'd be quite displeased with the administration if he were fired, and that definitely will not be the case. It's March, time to move on from this topic.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 15th, 2018, 7:35 pm

O M G!!!! This is the most discussed topic ever!!! Last yr at this time Wells wasnt gonna see a bowl game..Wrong....he was gonna get canned mid season....again WRONG....last yr wasnt 1/2 as bad as you all predicted given the youth of the team...8-9 wins is absolutely possible and if tht happens Wells will also be FREE to go somewhere else and likely be snatched up so you guys should probably be hoping he loves Usu as much as he claims and sticks around

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 15th, 2018, 11:18 pm

taniataylor wrote:
March 15th, 2018, 7:35 pm
O M G!!!! This is the most discussed topic ever!!! Last yr at this time Wells wasnt gonna see a bowl game..Wrong....he was gonna get canned mid season....again WRONG....last yr wasnt 1/2 as bad as you all predicted given the youth of the team...8-9 wins is absolutely possible and if tht happens Wells will also be FREE to go somewhere else and likely be snatched up so you guys should probably be hoping he loves Usu as much as he claims and sticks around
Tania, you hit the nail on the head here. I say we get him off of the hot seat let the man do his job.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » March 16th, 2018, 8:39 am

taniataylor wrote:
:-) Pretty much nailed it.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 16th, 2018, 8:54 am

This subject is just sooooo exhausting....If anyone is going to the scrimmage today say hi to my favorite player for me!!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm

I say we add Tania to the list of those we want to fire at USU, it is not long enough yet.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 17th, 2018, 12:06 am

dyedblue wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm
I say we add Tania to the list of those we want to fire at USU, it is not long enough yet.

If I go I take #16 with!!! :rock:

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 17th, 2018, 1:39 am

taniataylor wrote:
Preaching Truth!

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 17th, 2018, 9:59 am

taniataylor wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
March 16th, 2018, 6:55 pm

If I go I take #16 with!!! :rock:
No, NOT CHUCKIE!!!!!

Hail Aggies!

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » March 20th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I saw a team that lost 2 games it should have won because of the coaching. Offensive side of the ball specifically.

And, how long are we going to continue to lose games (big games) because we can't kick a FG? You'd figure that missing a trip to the Orange Bowl would be a motivator? Nope.

Locked Previous topicNext topic