What makes you happy?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

How many wins will it take for you to be satisfied with this season?

No votes
1%
38%
38%
22%
1%
No votes
I'm way out of touch with reality(11+)
No votes

Total votes: 77

aceofspadeskb

What makes you happy?

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 16th, 2017, 8:49 am

Just curious how everyone else feels after a 3-9 season last year. What makes this year satisfactory to you?

taniataylor

Re: What makes you happy?

Post by taniataylor » August 16th, 2017, 8:53 am

I think even double what happened last year would make me feel pretty decent

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » August 16th, 2017, 9:17 am

Saving money not buying season tickets for the first time in 12 years. Hope for a winning season in-spite of my boycott. But until a new coach is hired, I am out of here. Don't agree fine, but let me be happy with my personal stand on Wells.

I support our troops, especially the snipers.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 16th, 2017, 9:35 am

It seems like you are still here, why is the question ? I support the kids and the program.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 16th, 2017, 9:41 am

oleblu111 wrote:It seems like you are still here, why is the question ? I support the kids and the program.
:crazy: ^^^^

:rock:

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 16th, 2017, 10:15 am

I'd love a bowl game this year and some great momentum heading into next season.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

7 for me.

Either 6-6 and winning a bowl game or 7-5 regular season and I am satisfied.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » August 16th, 2017, 10:27 am

Intermeddler wrote:7 for me.

A win over BYU and/or BSU and I'm satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 16th, 2017, 10:29 am

7-6 for me, that includes a Bowl win.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 16th, 2017, 10:32 am

I know this sounds odd, but I really think it took multiple abnormal events for us to even end up 3-9 last year. That team was a 6-6 team that somehow found every pothole in the road - some things were self inflicted and some were just plain bad luck. This is why I expect something better than 6 wins to consider this season an improvement over last.

I know it will be argued that wins is the only measurement that matters and 3 is what we earned but are we honestly going to see refs blow replay reviews again at the rate they did last year? Are we going to see coach Wells make that many mistakes in clock management or with poor in-game decisions? Are we going to suffer that many injuries at key positions with a big drop off in talent behind the starter? The point is not to make excuses for last year but to point out that we almost had to try to lose that many games last year. We found new and inventive ways to do it each week.

I also think people forget that we weren't out of these games or being outclassed by other teams even though most of us felt like it was our least talented team in a number of years. Boise St. still remains the only team with more collective talent in our division and yet people are predicting losses to UNM and CSU and WYO.

While you just have to deal with the refs and blown calls, hopefully the calls even out a bit over time. Outside of that, I feel like we are deeper at every position than we were going into last year with a smaller drop off in talent to the 2nd man. Also, Wells should be better at managing the game now that he's not pulling double duty and Yost is there to worry about play calling. We'll see how it plays out but I feel much better going into this season than last.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 16th, 2017, 11:05 am

I think that you have a lot of valid points, Aglicious. I do think that we had some balls bounce the wrong way for us a few times (though there were also some blown plays by the players that killed us). The AF game last year I still feel comes down to the refs. And I do feel like we have at least a little more depth and experience going into this year than last, though it will have to be proven on the field, of course.

But for me the biggest issue last year was that the team just seemed to come apart mentally and emotionally over the course of the season. They weren't synced and they couldn't find any fire in themselves. The coaching and play calling just seemed to have really lost its direction. The bad part is that we still have Wells as the HC, though I am not absolutely turning my back on him. I still have some hope that he just lost a handle on things and needed the offseason after a really bad season to reflect and retool. Time will tell if the Yost and Tommerdahl adds turn out well. I'm hoping that the talk about turning the play calling over to Yost is genuine as I think Wells would benefit from taking a step back there. The coaching staff structure last year was a jumbled mess, so I'm also hopeful that there is some more clarity and structure there, especially on the offensive side of the ball. No more co-coordinator there, at least.

In all, there have been some tangible changes from last season at a few key points where they could make the difference. I still have a lot of worries, but I suppose I can't help but hope that we see a significant turn around this season. Regardless, I'll be at every home game, and probably the AF game, sporting my Aggie blue (or fighting white) spandex suit.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 16th, 2017, 11:51 am

thansen wrote:

Either would be great, but if we somehow win one of those and fall flat on our faces afterwards and miss a bowl, I will be pretty disappointed.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 16th, 2017, 11:57 am

Intermeddler wrote:
thansen wrote:

Either would be great, but if we somehow win one of those and fall flat on our faces afterwards and miss a bowl, I will be pretty disappointed.
Agreed. The fact that we have gone 5-14 since smashing Boise State makes that win pretty meaningless to me.

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » August 16th, 2017, 12:04 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
thansen wrote:

Agreed. The fact that we have gone 5-14 since smashing Boise State makes that win pretty meaningless to me.
5 and 14 since Boise!? That is insane. We were 23 and 11 (including that Boise blowout) up until that point with Wells.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 16th, 2017, 12:30 pm

7-5 with a win over a solid team -- byu, boise, wake, or wisconsin

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Smoky old pool rooms, clear mountain mornings, little warm puppies, children, and girls of the night.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 16th, 2017, 12:39 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:7-5 with a win over a solid team -- byu, boise, wake, or wisconsin

100% this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » August 16th, 2017, 12:41 pm

He said happy, not just satisfied. Satisfied is when you your interest hasn't waned by the end of the season. Happy is when you are really looking forward to every game and sometimes find yourself smiling while driving thinking about a play/series/game.

I would be satisfied with 6 or 7 wins. I would be happy with 8 wins.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » August 16th, 2017, 1:14 pm

I said 8 wins. Most importantly wins against BYU and BSU.

I'd be pretty happy with that.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 16th, 2017, 1:23 pm

This is a family-friendly forum so I really can't say what makes me happy without being banned. ;-0

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:Smoky old pool rooms, clear mountain mornings, little warm puppies, children, and girls of the night.
Waylon and Willie, who doesn't like little warm puppies. Of course poor old Willie cant handle Mountain mornings anymore.

Full

Post by Full » August 16th, 2017, 1:48 pm

I have two completely different answers depending on what you are asking.

If your asking what level of performance would I like to see on the field this season, I think anything less than a bowl game (6 wins) is not enough for me to be satisfied with the coaching staff. The program should now at a minimum make a bowl game. I'm actually ok with a coach having a 3-9 season, but not ok with the W-L record consistently getting worse over time. The games are more fun for me when they have meaning and bandwagon fans are happy (and attendance is higher). Six wins is where I think a coach would have to keep the program to maintain interest in the team and play meaningful games. I hope that the team is in the race to appear in the championship game late into the season.

The next answer is that I go to the game because it is an event I can take my family to and enjoy bonding time with my kids. I enjoyed going to games as a family when I was young and my kids seem to have a positive experience going to the games. My happiness isn't about the outcome as much as the time I get to spend with the kids, and them enjoying the game.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » August 16th, 2017, 2:35 pm

I put 7, but that comes with a caveat. We can't get blown out by anyone in conference or BYU. I think the first two or three games will tell me enough about the team to determine if things are headed back in the right direction. If it appears that they are, I'll gain some happiness from that but for me to be happy about the season as a whole the number is 7.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 16th, 2017, 2:45 pm

AggieDude wrote:I put 7, but that comes with a caveat. We can't get blown out by anyone in conference or BYU. I think the first two or three games will tell me enough about the team to determine if things are headed back in the right direction. If it appears that they are, I'll gain some happiness from that but for me to be happy about the season as a whole the number is 7.
Do you mean without the exception of Wisconsin? I'm pretty confident teams like them (USC last year) will blow us out. Other than Wisconsin, I am happy this year if we get to 7 wins with the only blowout against Wisconsin.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » August 16th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
AggieDude wrote:I put 7, but that comes with a caveat. We can't get blown out by anyone in conference or BYU. I think the first two or three games will tell me enough about the team to determine if things are headed back in the right direction. If it appears that they are, I'll gain some happiness from that but for me to be happy about the season as a whole the number is 7.
Do you mean without the exception of Wisconsin? I'm pretty confident teams like them (USC last year) will blow us out. Other than Wisconsin, I am happy this year if we get to 7 wins with the only blowout against Wisconsin.
I said within conference plus BYU. I expect a rough go of it at Wisconsin, but would love to see us play them tough.

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » August 16th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:Smoky old pool rooms, clear mountain mornings, little warm puppies, children, and girls of the night.
Women think about they selves when menfolk ain't around. And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down..... Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes. God bless little children while they're still too young to hate.... Ever had a drink of watermelon wine he asked....? Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 16th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Tr0ll wrote:
Women think about they selves when menfolk ain't around. And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down..... Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes. God bless little children while they're still too young to hate.... Ever had a drink of watermelon wine he asked....? Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine.
Good ol Tom T. Hall

Full

Post by Full » August 16th, 2017, 4:52 pm

A shot of Nightrunner and David Yost wold make me smile as well.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » August 16th, 2017, 9:24 pm

This, plus some good whiskey and a nice cigar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 17th, 2017, 6:42 am

A bowl game this year. As I have been saying this team is young. I believe 2018 could be a very good year.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » August 17th, 2017, 7:38 am

Bowl game, or bust (1st definition)

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

inigo

Post by inigo » August 17th, 2017, 8:11 am

I would like to see less of this at the end of the game:

That would make me happy.

Locked Previous topicNext topic