New offensive system being installed.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GUS

Post by GUS » February 28th, 2017, 8:32 am

According to the football twitter page.

AggieBlues

Re: New offensive system being installed.

Post by AggieBlues » February 28th, 2017, 8:53 am

Triple pistol option formation? Horseshoe flying wedge? The 'ol Inverted I formation? (that's where the Half and Full back face backwards to be better positioned when the QB is chased out the back of the pocket)

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 28th, 2017, 9:01 am

Single Wing, Baybee!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 28th, 2017, 9:09 am

I'd simply settle for installing offense at Utah State. I don't care if it is new, old, whatever. I just want to see us commit to running the dammed football and attack different parts of the field.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on February 28th, 2017, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » February 28th, 2017, 9:16 am

R.I.P. Screen Game
(fingers crossed)

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » February 28th, 2017, 9:23 am

dyedblue wrote:I'd simply settle for installing offense at Utah State. I don't care if it is new, old, whatever. I just want to see us commit to rubbing the dammed football and attack different parts of the field.

Not sure how rubbing helps...But anything should be better than our strategy last year.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 28th, 2017, 9:31 am

Gretsch wrote:
dyedblue wrote:I'd simply settle for installing offense at Utah State. I don't care if it is new, old, whatever. I just want to see us commit to rubbing the dammed football and attack different parts of the field.

Not sure how rubbing helps...But anything should be better than our strategy last year.

What y'all do in the privacy of your own bedroom is none of my business.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » February 28th, 2017, 9:59 am

dyedblue wrote:I'd simply settle for installing offense at Utah State. I don't care if it is new, old, whatever. I just want to see us commit to running the dammed football and attack different parts of the field.

As long as they are installing a new offensive line they might have a chance with that. Will losing 3 of the worst O-lineman in the country (Stephens ain't bad) be a good or bad thing? It should make you nervous that there are guys competing for spots this year that couldn't beat them out last year. That's the question for the season I think.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 28th, 2017, 10:12 am

hickaggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:I'd simply settle for installing offense at Utah State. I don't care if it is new, old, whatever. I just want to see us commit to running the dammed football and attack different parts of the field.

As long as they are installing a new offensive line they might have a chance with that. Will losing 3 of the worst O-lineman in the country (Stephens ain't bad) be a good or bad thing? It should make you nervous that there are guys competing for spots this year that couldn't beat them out last year. That's the question for the season I think.
It's not that the kids that are competing for spots now couldn't beat them out, it's that physically they just weren't ready yet and they spent the season redshirting (ie. Demytrick Ali'ifua, Amu McMoore, Sean Taylor). That or they weren't on the roster yet (ie. Quinn Ficklin, Roman Andrus, Rob Castaneda). I would also throw Brandon Taukeiaho into the mix and he missed last season with an injury.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 28th, 2017, 10:25 am

I'll be very surprised if the system changes much.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » February 28th, 2017, 10:44 am

Gretsch wrote:

I thought that was what Troutputz said was the problem. Too much rubbing and extracurricular activities were harming the athletic ability...

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » February 28th, 2017, 11:04 am

Video here

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 28th, 2017, 11:32 am

I saw a bubble screen at near the two minute mark. Sounds like Kent is going to be able to see more than one receiver.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 28th, 2017, 12:02 pm

NVAggie wrote:I saw a bubble screen at near the two minute mark. Sounds like Kent is going to be able to see more than one receiver.
More bubble screens :shock:

ususports

Post by ususports » February 28th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I like that we are practicing real football game circumstances. At the 1:31 mark in the video, we were snapping the ball inside the end zone. I can't count how many games we lost last year by not being prepared for that situation, but I am glad we are addressing it in the off season.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 28th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Wait Wait Wait...It's Luke Wells as the inside WR coach??? ohhhhhh mmmmmm ggggggggg

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » February 28th, 2017, 1:05 pm

taniataylor wrote:Wait Wait Wait...It's Luke Wells as the inside WR coach??? ohhhhhh mmmmmm ggggggggg
Is that bad or good? I'm guessing bad.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » February 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I haven't heard many good things.....call me skeptical

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » February 28th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I really want to see the septuple option. It would throw everyone off.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 28th, 2017, 3:17 pm

hickaggie wrote:

Does it make you even more nervous that more than half of that OL was voted All-Conference Honorable Mention? :shock:

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » February 28th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:R.I.P. Screen Game
(fingers crossed)
After watching the highlights of the first day, most of the plays were outside screens or rb sweeps...

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 28th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Any shotgun based read option style offense is going to use the screen as a constraint play. It is part of every spread offense in the country. We just sucked at it.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 28th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Any shotgun based read option style offense is going to use the screen as a constraint play. It is part of every spread offense in the country. We just sucked at it.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with the bubble screen. The problem was our execution, our telegraphing the play, and never using as misdirection to catch the defense cheating.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 28th, 2017, 5:53 pm

If we could do a misdirection screen and execute it, that alone could do wonders for the offense.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » February 28th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Any shotgun based read option style offense is going to use the screen as a constraint play. It is part of every spread offense in the country. We just sucked at it.
Thank you so very much for using the proper terminology and offensive theory. I have been SCREAMING about it to no avail for a few years now. Whenever anyone talks about "keeping a defense honest", that's what a constraint play is. This isn't accomplished by connecting on plays over the top or busting a big run loose as so many think. Those are simply execution. Constraint plays are accomplished through mundane bubble screens or read options or other base plays that can be then altered to take advantage of a defensive lapse. The key is that they appear the same at the beginning of the play to get the defenses momentum or thinking past a point of no return, and then there is the twist. Boise runs constraint plays to perfection. Even when you know you're due for a trick, they still execute it. We suck at it, like Intermeddler says. We'll get better.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 1st, 2017, 9:02 am

Kent Myers was quoted as saying that because of the offense there is going to be someone open on every play. NEWSFLASH, there was someone open on every play last year too, just because you only stare down one receiver doesn't mean that someone else wasn't open. I don't care how many open guys there are if you a) don't see them b) can't deliver the pass c) see them and have the ability to throw it too them but take so long to move off first receiver you are sacked.

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » March 2nd, 2017, 8:48 am

Did I hear them call it an "Air Raid" offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 2nd, 2017, 9:13 am

Coloraggie wrote:Kent Myers was quoted as saying that because of the offense there is going to be someone open on every play. NEWSFLASH, there was someone open on every play last year too, just because you only stare down one receiver doesn't mean that someone else wasn't open. I don't care how many open guys there are if you a) don't see them b) can't deliver the pass c) see them and have the ability to throw it too them but take so long to move off first receiver you are sacked.
I have to disagree. I feel we have had some of the worst route combinations and running I've ever seen. Very seldom that anyone is open enough for our below average QB to throw to. It also makes perfect sense because we do terrible when it comes to YAC. That's because our receivers never get any separation from their defenders. This is just my opinion from what I've seen the past 4 years.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 2nd, 2017, 9:14 am

Coloraggie wrote:Kent Myers was quoted as saying that because of the offense there is going to be someone open on every play. NEWSFLASH, there was someone open on every play last year too, just because you only stare down one receiver doesn't mean that someone else wasn't open. I don't care how many open guys there are if you a) don't see them b) can't deliver the pass c) see them and have the ability to throw it too them but take so long to move off first receiver you are sacked.
: :golfclap:

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 2nd, 2017, 10:22 am

ultramagnus wrote:Did I hear them call it an "Air Raid" offense?

Yup. Feed KM's strength?...

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 2nd, 2017, 10:32 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
I have to disagree. I feel we have had some of the worst route combinations and running I've ever seen. Very seldom that anyone is open enough for our below average QB to throw to. It also makes perfect sense because we do terrible when it comes to YAC. That's because our receivers never get any separation from their defenders. This is just my opinion from what I've seen the past 4 years.

Agreed. Lots of sideline breaking routes that are tough throws that don't yield YAC.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 2nd, 2017, 12:34 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Agreed. Lots of sideline breaking routes that are tough throws that don't yield YAC.
No attacking the coverage whatsoever. The issue is and always has been the scheme.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 2nd, 2017, 1:59 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

No attacking the coverage whatsoever. The issue is and always has been the scheme.

But still good enough to beat USU.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 2nd, 2017, 2:01 pm

I always felt like the reason we threw the timing routes to the sidelines was due to the lack of speed at WR that is necessary to get by a defender or create separation from a defender and really open things up.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 7th, 2017, 2:18 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

OK, maybe we can compromise as I think our receivers were OK but not the best. I highlighted a part in your post that I think is key. My first question is how much separation does a receiver need to be considered open for our below average QB? Would those receivers be considered open with an above average QB?

With YAC I put less blame on receivers and more on the QB throwing passes too high so the receiver has to jump and loses stride or behind the receiver so they have to slow down or stop to catch the ball. Look at the swing passes to the RBs or WR screens and see the difference between when Chuckie would lead the running back so they caught the ball moving forward and KM who makes the RB stop and then have to start again giving the defense time to catch up. Most of KMs balls do not hit the receiver in stride so it is tough to get YAC when the defenders are able to gain an extra step or two while the receiver adjusts to the ball. Watch the film and you will see that YAC are not the receivers fault but the QB fault.

Locked Previous topicNext topic