Scrimmage Today!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Re: Scrimmage Today!

Post by GeoAg » March 27th, 2015, 8:52 pm

GUS wrote:If DG had quit, Meyer would no longer be practicing with the receivers.
This ^^^^^

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 28th, 2015, 6:17 am

GUS wrote:If DG had quit, Meyer would no longer be practicing with the receivers.
Who is this receiver named Meyer? It is really difficult to draw much from these scrimmages, but I'll give it a whirl anyway. I recall two years ago before CK went on to account for 18 td and 2 int his first four games the offense looked awful in the scrimmages. I mostly agree with JackMormon on this one, with a few exceptions:

Defense

D-Line: Solid group with lots of depth. They really got after it in the run game and pass game. This will be a tough group. Moala and Alifua will be difference makers this year. So much push from the interior.

LB: Good pursuit sideline to sideline. Made tackles in space and will be a formidable force come fall if all starters get back healthy.

CB/Safety: I was pleasantly surprised by how well this group played. There were a few PI calls, but that's to be expected with the brand of press/physical defense our scheme calls for. Saw lots of different guys rotate in. Rocquermore at safety at least looks physically imposing. Leavitt got in a bit and I really wish he was eligible this year. Jalen Davis will play on sundays if he continues to progress. He looks a little bigger and faster. Some really good play from this group as a whole

Did Not Dress/Injured: Nielsen, Seefeldt, Filiaga (noticeable limp- won't be seeing him soon), Fackrell, Vigil, Cheney

Offense:

O-Line: Lots of work to be done here. The 2nd and 3rd string center snapped it at the QBs feet on multiple occasions. Opened up a few good holes for a better traditional between the tackles running attack. This group needs to gel a bit more. A few guys didn't participate in practice, so that could've been part of the problem.

QB: Chuckie looked like his old mobile self. Explosive and improvisational. He overthrew some guys, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he hasn't played much with these new backs/receivers. He threw an absolute dime of a long ball to Hunter Sharp down the sideline. It's a throw I don't think he could've made two years ago. You all should give yourselves permission to be excited about Chuckie this year.
Hobbs didn't play all that well, but didn't have a lot of time/opportunity to shine. Many snaps were at his feet or hit the ground. Our O-line depth really doesn't help in getting him quality reps.
Nelson a few of the same problems as Hobbs. Bad o-line play hindered what he was trying to do. He made a really nice block to spring Rashad Hall for a change of direction score. I didn't see much here to be excited about.

RB: Lots of guys that played ok. Hervey had a few nice runs against the twos but appears to have stone hands in the passing game. Hunt played decent as well as Lindsey. Mays is quite slow but is a guy that can get us 2-3 yards when we need them. Seems to be falling forward. Rashad Hall had a nice TD run against the threes.

WR: This will be a position of strength for us again this year. Hunter Sharp is still Hunter Sharp. Can't rave enough about his performance and how I think he'll be. JoJo didn't have his best outing, but I'm confident he'll have a nice year. TVL Jr got some reps with the ones, which I found interesting. He appears to run good routes. Braelon Roberts, as he seems to do in every scrimmage, impressed. He could be a guy that we could use in the end zone. His contested catch on a fade route was beautiful. I think he sees the field more. Beyond those guys, I didn't see much from: Myers, Fox, or Rodriguez.

TE: I think we will like this group a lot. Horne and Houston both had nice catch and runs. They both seem to block well. I hope they get utilized quite a bit.

DNP/Injured: Robinson, Moseley, Simonich, Swindall, Garretson

I'm sure I missed a bunch, but that's my take.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 28th, 2015, 9:17 am

Thanks for the write ups guys!!!

Aggie1990

Post by Aggie1990 » March 28th, 2015, 10:15 am

To be fair to Hobbs not playing well I don't know many QB's who are able to do much with getting balls off the ground or over their head and having a swiss cheese O line. Simply put I'm worried about our depth on the O line.

:utah: :state:

bullshot

Post by bullshot » March 28th, 2015, 11:43 am

Tranquilo. Weber will work his magic :sarcasm:

ususports

Post by ususports » March 28th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Aggie1990 wrote:To be fair to Hobbs not playing well I don't know many QB's who are able to do much with getting balls off the ground or over their head and having a swiss cheese O line. Simply put I'm worried about our depth on the O line.
Can we not provide jockstraps for our players? Carpet burn in that area sounds painful.

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » March 28th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Aggie1990 wrote:To be fair to Hobbs not playing well I don't know many QB's who are able to do much with getting balls off the ground or over their head and having a swiss cheese O line. Simply put I'm worried about our depth on the O line.
The safety went right through his hands. Cant blame the center on that. He dropped the ball. Hobbs looks bad, real bad.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » March 28th, 2015, 4:12 pm

aggiefan444 wrote:
The safety went right through his hands. Cant blame the center on that. He dropped the ball. Hobbs looks bad, real bad.
Sounds like Hobbs is the one who should be thinking about switching positions.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 28th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Hobbs had a bad practice, it happens. Let's wait and see how he turns out with more reps. He has all the physical tools. It takes time to develop at QB, although we're used to seeing pretty good play immediately.

Aggie_Pride50
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aggie_Pride50 » March 28th, 2015, 5:33 pm

ususports wrote:
Can we not provide jockstraps for our players? Carpet burn in that area sounds painful.
Gross. Why would you feel this would be an appropriate question?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 28th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Aggie_Pride50 wrote:
ususports wrote:
No really...he's got a point.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 28th, 2015, 6:36 pm

Aggie_Pride50 wrote:
ususports wrote:
Seems like a legit concern to me. Just looking out for our players well-being.

bleu

Post by bleu » March 28th, 2015, 8:02 pm

I was more than impressed with Hobbs in the first practice I saw. Being a new guy, in a new system, playing behind a well below average offensive line, I would expect he won't be playing at 100% during the first scrimmage of the season. Hobbs is a crazy good athlete who I fully expect to lead this team to great things. Cut him a little bit of slack.

parkrob78

Post by parkrob78 » March 28th, 2015, 9:16 pm

bleu wrote:I was more than impressed with Hobbs in the first practice I saw. Being a new guy, in a new system, playing behind a well below average offensive line, I would expect he won't be playing at 100% during the first scrimmage of the season. Hobbs is a crazy good athlete who I fully expect to lead this team to great things. Cut him a little bit of slack.

That would be a valid excuse but he's been here a year. I'm all over the Hobbs bandwagon I'd just write it off as a bad practice kid is CRAZY athletic

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 28th, 2015, 9:40 pm

bleu wrote:I was more than impressed with Hobbs in the first practice I saw. Being a new guy, in a new system, playing behind a well below average offensive line, I would expect he won't be playing at 100% during the first scrimmage of the season. Hobbs is a crazy good athlete who I fully expect to lead this team to great things. Cut him a little bit of slack.
I'm not writing him off after one scrimmage, but he is not a new guy and the systems doesn't look all that new.

The statement that he will lead this team to great things might be a bit optimistic. From the limited time I have been able watch Hobbs in fall camp and yesterday, I wouldnt say its clear that will ever lead the team. To me, at least, he looks like the 4th best option. But I hope he and the other QBs all continue to improve,

UncleRico

Post by UncleRico » March 28th, 2015, 9:41 pm

parkrob78 wrote:

That would be a valid excuse but he's been here a year. I'm all over the Hobbs bandwagon I'd just write it off as a bad practice kid is CRAZY athletic
Hobbs has been here a year, but did he really get any meaningful reps last year? I would guess no?

And I know it has been mentioned in this thread that Hobbs got a lot of bad snaps - it really was half, if not more than half. Every other play he was either bending down to snag a ball aimed at his shins or picking up a ball off the turf like a shortstop fielding a ground ball. Pretty hard to get an honest read on him.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » March 29th, 2015, 11:49 am

[youtube][/youtube]

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 29th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Btw-
My source on what I said about DG just confirmed. That was absolutely the reason he wasn't at the scrimmage.
Now obviously there's a chance he pulls a Rudy and comes back...but that is why he wasn't there.

Hieronymus_Bosch

Post by Hieronymus_Bosch » March 29th, 2015, 5:42 pm

I can confirm that Darell Garretson has quit the team.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 29th, 2015, 5:44 pm

Hieronymus_Bosch wrote:I can confirm that Darell Garretson has quit the team.
Why?

The day keeps getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » March 29th, 2015, 5:46 pm

2004AG wrote:
Why?

The day keeps getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do bad things really come in 3's! Queue Jana?

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 29th, 2015, 5:54 pm

So no then???

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 29th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Well that sucks. I guess he didn't want to sit out this year and start the next two years. I don't think Hobbs or Myers would have beaten him out. Heck.... He would've given Chuckie a challenge this year.

I guess Myers will stop the wr experiment.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Scrimmage Today!

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 29th, 2015, 6:06 pm

And when I brought this up on Saturday, some said "this board has become unbearable."
Jacka$$es.

Aggie_Pride50

Post by Aggie_Pride50 » March 29th, 2015, 6:42 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:And when I brought this up on Saturday, some said "this board has become unbearable."
Jacka$$es.
You didn't really have any proof though. Just some rumors.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » March 29th, 2015, 6:45 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Well that sucks. I guess he didn't want to sit out this year and start the next two years. I don't think Hobbs or Myers would have beaten him out. Heck.... He would've given Chuckie a challenge this year.

Wow.. I don't blame the Kid at all. If I remember right, we were discussing who was going to transfer if CK got his Med red shirt. If the rumor is true then what I feared has come true. The Guy is red shirting and has to come in because CK gets injured. He comes in and wins a bunch of games then Helps beat N. Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl. The next Season he sits on the bench again behind CK. Boom, CK goes down again. DG Comes in AGAIN and wins some games including the Boogs on the road. Too back he broke his wrist. Now he's expected to sit behind CK AGAIN! I love CK and all but I'd take DG over the next 2 Seasons. I really hope that he has a great run of what is left for him.

aggiebydefault

Post by aggiebydefault » March 29th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Is it possible there is more to this than just his position on the depth chart? I was able to make it to Tuesday's practice and his wrist was noticeably bothering him after several of the plays.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2015, 6:51 pm

Machismo wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Wow.. I don't blame the Kid at all. If I remember right, we were discussing who was going to transfer if CK got his Med red shirt. If the rumor is true then what I feared has come true. The Guy is red shirting and has to come in because CK gets injured. He comes in and wins a bunch of games then Helps beat N. Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl. The next Season he sits on the bench again behind CK. Boom, CK goes down again. DG Comes in AGAIN and wins some games including the Boogs on the road. Too back he broke his wrist. Now he's expected to sit behind CK AGAIN! I love CK and all but I'd take DG over the next 2 Seasons. I really hope that he has a great run of what is left for him.
Disappointing from the outside looking in. The kid still had a redshirt to burn, a possible medical redshirt, and only one more year to wait out Keeton. He transfers, loses his redshirt anyway while sitting out a year. He must have been less sure of his future as the starter to replace Chuckie than it would appear. Makes little sense with the clear implication Myers is behind him and the subpar reports of the play of Hobbs. Is he worried that the certain brother of a certain Wyoming Star QB is the heir apparent when the guy hasn't even set foot on campus. DJ Nelson?..lol

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » March 29th, 2015, 6:54 pm

The DG loss may not be too bad if Cade Smith is the real deal.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 29th, 2015, 6:56 pm

This is going to really hurt us when Chuckie's knee inevitably gives out in game 3.

What a (I can't express myself without swearing) day to be an Aggie :(.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 29th, 2015, 7:04 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:This is going to really hurt us when Chuckie's knee inevitably gives out in game 3.

What a s*** day to be an Aggie :(.
Yes, not having him to take over with this group of receivers would be a shame. Love Chuckie..but he's 1 for 4 getting more than halfway through a season.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 29th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Aggie_Pride50 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:And when I brought this up on Saturday, some said "this board has become unbearable."
Jacka$$es.
You didn't really have any proof though. Just some rumors.
That's fine. I didn't claim to. And I explained it wasn't sure, and was very reserved about it. But still was met with criticism.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 29th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Gotta think the Myers experiment is over, right?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 29th, 2015, 7:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Gotta think the Myers experiment is over, right?
I would hope that he would be competing with Hobbs for the backup spot. Which may very well play quite a bit this year.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 29th, 2015, 7:36 pm

aggieaggie wrote:The DG loss may not be too bad if Cade Smith is the real deal.
Well, I don't expect Cade to be able to come in as a Freshman and fill DG's shoes right away. But Brett Smith (Cade's brother) was pretty good at Wyoming. Is Cade supposed to be better than Brett? Anyone know?

Locked Previous topicNext topic