Well's fake punt reaction

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NAggsty Butler

Well's fake punt reaction

Post by NAggsty Butler » October 20th, 2013, 5:35 pm

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

JSHarvey

Re: Well's fake punt reaction

Post by JSHarvey » October 20th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I thought it was a great play. Obviously unscripted. And given our history with injuries this year a risk which "shouldn't" have been taken - but it was really fun to see! :-)

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

liquidforce
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by liquidforce » October 20th, 2013, 5:50 pm

The best part is the night runner and the sideline laughing, I know it was on the line of being shady but it is fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » October 20th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I loved it, if they aren't going to defend you then you take advantage. Bentrude did that and some.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I remember watching a game years ago, it was probably USC or UCLA, and the punter did the exact same thing, unscripted just took off running because as soon as he got the ball he realized no one was keyed in on him so he took off for the 1st down, got the TD instead. The coach wasn't thrilled, but happy about the outcome.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

SchwartZTeve

Post by SchwartZTeve » October 20th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Wells said it himself in postgame. If people think it was out of line it's the punter's job to read the defense and the defense's job to make stops.

CapitolAggie

Post by CapitolAggie » October 21st, 2013, 7:24 am

Now now. lets talk about feelings.... of course we have had teams grind it onto us for years. So I can see it both ways. But if you roll out and there is nothing to see but green in front of you - are you supposed to fall down? I think not.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 21st, 2013, 7:28 am

CapitolAggie wrote:Now now. lets talk about feelings.... of course we have had teams grind it onto us for years. So I can see it both ways. But if you roll out and there is nothing to see but green in front of you - are you supposed to fall down? I think not.
No, you're supposed to run backwards into your own endzone, kneel down for a safety, and then politely present the ball to the referee.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 21st, 2013, 8:22 am

I absolutely loved the fake punt. You could almost see Bentrude's eyes get huge when he saw all the green in front of him!

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » October 21st, 2013, 8:29 am

treesap32 wrote:
CapitolAggie wrote:Now now. lets talk about feelings.... of course we have had teams grind it onto us for years. So I can see it both ways. But if you roll out and there is nothing to see but green in front of you - are you supposed to fall down? I think not.
No, you're supposed to run backwards into your own endzone, kneel down for a safety, and then politely present the ball to the referee.
Well that's just stupid. Everyone knows the punter is supposed to present the ball to the first defender to get to him and proceed to block for him while he runs it in for a touchdown.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 21st, 2013, 8:47 am

Can someone post this highlight. That was one of the few plays I missed as I briefly switched over to check on the beating that FSU gave Clemson.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

glendayle

Post by glendayle » October 21st, 2013, 8:52 am

[youtube][/youtube]

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 21st, 2013, 9:14 am

Serves New Mexico right for declining the foul on 3rd down!

AggiePhotog

Post by AggiePhotog » October 21st, 2013, 10:51 am

This had to be my favorite play of the game

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 21st, 2013, 11:01 am

I would rather we had not scored there, but you have to love the kid's initiative . . . especially when kickers are notoriously unaware of game situations.

Bentrude has some speed. Who knew?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 21st, 2013, 11:07 am

It was a fun play to see. The problem with is that play will not work again this year. Every other team we face has now seen that and won't leave it open. We didn't need it against New Mexico. Perhaps we will need it against a team down the road.

But again, I did enjoy seeing it.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » October 21st, 2013, 12:42 pm

AgMac wrote:It was a fun play to see. The problem with is that play will not work again this year. Every other team we face has now seen that and won't leave it open. We didn't need it against New Mexico. Perhaps we will need it against a team down the road.

Every team from here on out will also make sure they wait until the ball leaves our kickers foot. This should help our punt coverage. I'm not a big fan of saving trick plays, use them when they will work. If you put them (trick plays) on tape other teams have to spend prep time on them, thus taking away from other prep time.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 21st, 2013, 12:53 pm

I can't fault any player for wanting to score, but I most certainly would never fault a punter. This will (most likely) be Bentrude's only touchdown of his career. I'm happy that he got it. If UNM can't stop a punter from scoring on a running play from 72 yards out...well I don't think anyone can be too upset about it.

frankiedoeshollywood

Post by frankiedoeshollywood » October 21st, 2013, 7:46 pm

Albrecht already apologized. Nothing to worry about anymore.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » October 21st, 2013, 8:00 pm

My word too much political correctness if he did apologize. They can be offended if they want. We were offended at how multiple opponents over multiple years screwed us hard and when we were down they screwed us even more. But, please don't apologize the fools didn't even play that down properly. Their own fault.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 21st, 2013, 8:01 pm

crazywookie wrote:My word too much political correctness if he did apologize. They can be offended if they want. We were offended at how multiple opponents over multiple years screwed us hard and when we were down they screwed us even more. But, please don't apologize the fools didn't even play that down properly. Their own fault.
Wookie, even you should realize that it was well beyond human decency to needlessly pour salt into the open woulds by inconsiderately running up the score like that. Especially when New Mexico was only playing their JV squad.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 21st, 2013, 10:07 pm

AgMac wrote:It was a fun play to see. The problem with is that play will not work again this year. Every other team we face has now seen that and won't leave it open. We didn't need it against New Mexico. Perhaps we will need it against a team down the road.
It probably wasn't going to ever work again anyways. Most teams are smart enough to guard the punter and watch for it without us doing it. And, I'm sure Jaron has been looking for an opening EVERY time he has been brought in, just hasn't found it until now.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 22nd, 2013, 7:28 am

AgMac wrote: It probably wasn't going to ever work again anyways. Most teams are smart enough to guard the punter and watch for it without us doing it. And, I'm sure Jaron has been looking for an opening EVERY time he has been brought in, just hasn't found it until now.
Exactly. Just smile and enjoy the ride. :scotsman:

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 22nd, 2013, 8:28 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
It probably wasn't going to ever work again anyways. Most teams are smart enough to guard the punter and watch for it without us doing it. And, I'm sure Jaron has been looking for an opening EVERY time he has been brought in, just hasn't found it until now.
Exactly right. It was one of those situations that comes along every couple of years or so. NM had given up and didn't stay in their lanes leaving the left side wide open. In fact, had the game been close, my guess is Bentrude would simply be trying to get a good kick away rather than taking a quick glance at the defense.

Anyway, always neat to see the punter score a touchdown. That's once in a lifetime right there.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » October 22nd, 2013, 8:44 am

It is their job to stop it. Wells didn't call it, and Bentrude just took advantage of the situation. Nothing to see. Awesome that he got to score, though.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Chod

Post by Chod » October 22nd, 2013, 8:57 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:It is their job to stop it. Wells didn't call it, and Bentrude just took advantage of the situation. Nothing to see. Awesome that he got to score, though.
Yep, it was the punter's version of the read option... if it's there, run.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 23rd, 2013, 8:24 am

You know what suprised me? Bentrude is pretty fast, a lot faster than I thought.

It's interesting that since they went to the "rugby style" of punting, he has been a lot more accurate with less shanks. Anything that improves that is great, as far as I'm concerned.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 23rd, 2013, 8:47 am

The funny thing with all of this is that Bentrude is only likely second on the list for highest scoring punter in school history. I think the top spot goes to Leon.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » October 23rd, 2013, 9:08 am

GeoAg wrote:The funny thing with all of this is that Bentrude is only likely second on the list for highest scoring punter in school history. I think the top spot goes to Leon.
Wow! Who was the punter a couple of years ago? I remember thinking he was really good.

Where only sage brush grows

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 23rd, 2013, 11:53 am

MrBiggle wrote:
GeoAg wrote:The funny thing with all of this is that Bentrude is only likely second on the list for highest scoring punter in school history. I think the top spot goes to Leon.
Wow! Who was the punter a couple of years ago? I remember thinking he was really good.
Caldwell? He probably never scored off a punt.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » October 23rd, 2013, 1:14 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

Probably not but I think he had a dang good leg.

Where only sage brush grows

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 23rd, 2013, 2:02 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

And amazing hair.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm

treesap32 wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
MrBiggle wrote:

And amazing hair.
I personally fancy Conans Hair ;)

Locked Previous topicNext topic