Gary Andersen

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
liquidforce
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gary Andersen

Post by liquidforce » October 1st, 2013, 8:05 am

Gary Andersen is simply using Keegan as a convenience to watch BYU and get some live, in game, scouting on a team he faces this season. I believe this is his main motivation. Sure he wants to see his kid play, but if we're playing Weber, he's not coming.

satireag

Post by satireag » October 1st, 2013, 8:07 am

As long as he stays away from our recruits I will cheer for him. Who knows maybe Bronco will have to make the funny face again because he has something smelly in the pantalones because GA scares him.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 1st, 2013, 8:42 am

Won't need to call him down on the field. I bet he's either on the field or in the endzone complex and comes down on the filed for part of the game.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 1st, 2013, 8:53 am

Hopefully it's not a distraction, that would be my only worry. And of course, don't let him hang around the recruits.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » October 1st, 2013, 9:01 am

I hope he is not on our sideline during the game. That would be a huge distraction to the players. I can't imagine a coach from another college team on our sideline. Seems like crazy talk to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 1st, 2013, 9:02 am

ViAggie wrote:I'm ready to forgive to, but the thing that pisses me off the most is that if GA stuck around we'd probably be 5-0 right now. Not knocking MW, he's doing a bang up job, but he's inexperienced a bit as HC and it's shown through a few times, namely the Utah and USC games. GA should have held out for the SC job anyway, everyone knew LK was getting sacked this year. He rushed the gold too soon IMHO.
I don't know, we blew some big games (especially on the road) with Andersen. Off the top of my head.

Auburn 2011
BYU 2011
Wisconsin 2012
BYU 2012

We ended up winning, but darn near blew a double digit 4th quarter lead against La Tech. Don't get me wrong the guy was an amazing motivator, one of the best recruiters of talent in the country, and a phenomenal coach. I would say his biggest weakness though is his game management skills. That improved immensely once Baldwin left, but against OSU and ASU this year, Wisconsin showed some of the same mistakes USU did in our close losses.

In any event, I am grateful to Gary though. He built the program on a solid foundation for the next coaches, left some really good players, which is unlike any other coaches we have had in 3 decades. (Even the ones that had some success.)

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 1st, 2013, 9:03 am

There are few men in the world that I would gladly hug. Having been to many terrible games during the past 20 years, I would bear hug Gary Andersen with tears rolling down my cheeks. I love that man!

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 1st, 2013, 9:07 am

He better not be wrapping his arms around our recruits. Other than that, he's just a father watching his son. Anything more at this time would be awkward.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 1st, 2013, 9:13 am

AgMac wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I think it would be cool to let the fans give him an ovation. Now that we've seen MW and know we're in good hands, I think many (myself included) are ready to forgive.
Eh. Not really a fan of this. Don't hate it, just seems awkward and forced.

Maybe Andersen can address the crowd and tell us how special we are.

This is a tremendous idea.

After many offers for different snacks, Gary Andersen has promised that he will sit through the entire first quarter. One play in he will get up and go for a hot dog.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 1st, 2013, 9:16 am

aggieaggie wrote:He better not be wrapping his arms around our recruits. Other than that, he's just a father watching his son. Anything more at this time would be awkward.
Well stated. I still don't feel a lot of love for Gary, not because of what he did but how he did. I don't hate the man and we should welcome him back as we would any player's father. However, him being on the sideline would be completely out of place as would hosting him in the complex. He is the coach at another D-1 school. He should not be around the players, he should certainly not be around any recruits. Just let him come and go and not make a big deal out of anything.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 1st, 2013, 9:24 am

He'd better wear a gameday shirt. Or a screw the Y shirt. Jack, hook him up and send me the bill.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

I'm not sure why people harbor any ill will for GA. The whole "I don't hate him for what he did but how he did it" is baffling to me. He was certain he would stay before the WI job opened, even if he wasn't- what was he supposed to say? "No, i'm actually going to leave if a program like WI comes calling." Get real. We might not have Aggie football if not for GA. I'm glad he will be in the stands on Friday as he is primarily responsible for getting USU football on the map again.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » October 1st, 2013, 9:57 am

Actually makes complete sense. I feel the same way. It's not the fact that he left it's HOW he left! And all the many many promises. "It's not about the money" "I looked into my players EYES and I know this is the place for my family" Those are strong statements! If he would have come back and at least done a small press conference stating what had happened I would have been just fine and understanding...but the fact that nothing was really ever said to fans.

We all understand it was a better gig....but to think we should all be peachy about how it all played out! Not everyone has to feel the same way. And NO I don't hate him. But I sure wasn't happy with him and how everything went down.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 1st, 2013, 10:11 am

I really do appreciate everything that Gary did for this program (even though, let's face it, the man behind the music is really Scott Barnes), but it can't hurt to poke fun just a little. Wisconsin is my de facto Big 10 team now because of him and I am thankful for the amazing job he did here.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 1st, 2013, 10:43 am

dyedblue wrote:
aggieaggie wrote:He better not be wrapping his arms around our recruits. Other than that, he's just a father watching his son. Anything more at this time would be awkward.
Well stated. I still don't feel a lot of love for Gary, not because of what he did but how he did. I don't hate the man and we should welcome him back as we would any player's father. However, him being on the sideline would be completely out of place as would hosting him in the complex. He is the coach at another D-1 school. He should not be around the players, he should certainly not be around any recruits. Just let him come and go and not make a big deal out of anything.

What a ridiculous statement. He's the former head coach who turned our program around. The players love him. He's not here to poach recruits. He absolutely should be feted by the team and University.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 1st, 2013, 11:01 am

Smokin Joe wrote:What a ridiculous statement. He's the former head coach who turned our program around. The players love him. He's not here to poach recruits. He absolutely should be feted by the team and University.
It isn't ridiculous, he tried recruiting players to Wisconsin last season that had committed to USU.

Marwin Evans, for example, was offered by Bill Busch even though he had verbally committed to USU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... ans-136987
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2561&t=11148036

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 1st, 2013, 11:33 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:What a ridiculous statement. He's the former head coach who turned our program around. The players love him. He's not here to poach recruits. He absolutely should be feted by the team and University.
It isn't ridiculous, he tried recruiting players to Wisconsin last season that had committed to USU.

Marwin Evans, for example, was offered by Bill Busch even though he had verbally committed to USU.

He's doing his job. Welcome to college football. You recruit the players you know and have a relationship with. Moral codes don't apply when it comes to putting food on the table for your family.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 1st, 2013, 11:55 am

FWIW Marwin is an Aggie!!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 1st, 2013, 12:05 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:Moral codes don't apply when it comes to putting food on the table for your family.
You watching Breaking Bad?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 1st, 2013, 12:26 pm

brownjeans wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:Moral codes don't apply when it comes to putting food on the table for your family.
You watching Breaking Bad?
Like Walter white, Gary needed to make a few million a year instead of a poultry 800,000 to feed his family after he dies from cancer in a few years.

Sent from my iPad

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 1st, 2013, 12:27 pm

I'm still convinced that cash had little to do with his leaving. Anyone who disagrees likely hasn't been to a B10 game.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 1st, 2013, 12:44 pm

Wisconsin is the only job I couldn't fault him for taking. Anyone who went to that game last year knows that place is special. He went to a quality school and program.

I'll cheer him and cheer for him, and thank him if I get a chance to. I think our boys love him still, and that is good enough for me.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » October 1st, 2013, 1:00 pm

Wait, I thought we were special.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » October 1st, 2013, 1:05 pm

Are we arguing here? Any disagreement with the following?

Andersen was a good-great coach who really helped turn our football program around.

Since Andersen has a son on the team he should be welcome at mofars with open arms.

Since Andersen is a d1 coach and could provide a distraction to our players/recruits he should not be on our sideline/locker room for the game.

BigPermAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by BigPermAg » October 1st, 2013, 1:09 pm

I agree with that Empire! Now let's get Scott Barnes out on the field and I will stand and clap to that. Not to mention other major players that are involved with arranging donations and more of the backbone of what started this ship in the right direction before Gary even showed his face in Logan.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 1st, 2013, 1:25 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:

So Marwin Evans is your only example. He's from Wisconsin. The notion that GA is here to recruit our commits is absurd and beyond the pale. Talk about tilting at windmills. Sheeesh.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 1st, 2013, 1:27 pm

I'm not sure GA would be a distraction to our team. There are players on our team that love that man and will play their hearts out for him. I think his presence adds a bit of motivation to our team. With that being said, I am in agreement with Smokin Joe's statement.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » October 1st, 2013, 2:15 pm

If they announce him at all I will stand and clap and cheer. I think it's smarter if they don't because it's still so soon and we haven't seen exactly where our program is without him. I do hope that he has 100% positive interaction with every Aggie he sees this weekend.

DixieAggie

Post by DixieAggie » October 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm

GA did Great things for USU, and he didn't cripple us by taking his whole staff to Wisconsin, he left a recruiting roadmap. Yes he left after saying he wouldn't, but the Wisconsin job wasn't on the table until after he promised us he'd stay. I can understand why he left $$$ & recognition. Most if not all of us do that at some point in our professional careers. Lets just remember the old saying " What goes around, eventually comes around." Let's now jump 7 years in the future and the Ags have maintained their winning success and Matt Wells leaves us for the OU or OSU job, and GA's run at Wisconsin is over. You never know, and you never say never, GA might at some point be back at USU.

He should be treated well and loved (Coach speak) "Put our arms around him" and hope he feels regret for leaving and has a desire to always be an Aggie.

You never know! Would you rather he maintains strong connection here at USU or at UofU?

Thanks GA for your time and hard work.
Lead on MATT and GO Aggies!!!

Go Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 1st, 2013, 3:01 pm

GA on the sideline? No. MW is our coach.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 1st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

So Marwin Evans is your only example. He's from Wisconsin. The notion that GA is here to recruit our commits is absurd and beyond the pale. Talk about tilting at windmills. Sheeesh.
He wasn't the only one. Not that I fault him. But he got a commit from a QB we were recruiting (who we had no chance to land, anyway)

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 1st, 2013, 3:22 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

He's doing his job. Welcome to college football. You recruit the players you know and have a relationship with. Moral codes don't apply when it comes to putting food on the table for your family.
Exactly, and it is our job to not let other coaches have access to our players.

Plus, Alvarez did request the last staff not recruit players that verbally committed to Wisconsin after the previous coach left.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 1st, 2013, 3:23 pm

Empire of Dirt wrote:Are we arguing here? Any disagreement with the following?

Andersen was a good-great coach who really helped turn our football program around.

Since Andersen has a son on the team he should be welcome at mofars with open arms.

Since Andersen is a d1 coach and could provide a distraction to our players/recruits he should not be on our sideline/locker room for the game.

Pretty much my feelings.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 1st, 2013, 3:41 pm

I want Gary to win, win, win! I want Wisconsin or someone else to come in and throw even bigger money at him. Gary has the potential to be one of our best donors. He already gave like 500k last year? Or was it more?

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 1st, 2013, 3:41 pm

hopefully he's sharing some of his wisdom about byu w/ wells.

Locked Previous topicNext topic