Gawd it would be so easy to expand our stadium

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Gawd it would be so easy to expand our stadium

Post by ViAggie » September 16th, 2013, 12:27 am

lets just f'in do it! The west side stands have plenty of growing room. What's a little cement and metal to complete the tasks? :scotsman:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

kkalian311

Re: Gawd it would be so easy to expand our stadium

Post by kkalian311 » September 16th, 2013, 6:14 am

ViAggie wrote:lets just f'in do it! The west side stands have plenty of growing room. What's a little cement and metal to complete the tasks? :scotsman:
According to the meetings I've been in. We can't add on to the west side the way it currently is due to structural integrity. If we wanted to expand the west side it has to be redone from the ground up which was said to cost 35-50 million.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 16th, 2013, 7:12 am

ViAggie wrote:lets just f'in do it! The west side stands have plenty of growing room. What's a little cement and metal to complete the tasks? :scotsman:
Let's hit Home Depot this weekend and pick up some 2x4's, 2x6's, 4x4's, cement and a whole bunch of nuts and bolts. Renovation will be ready for the YBU game.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 16th, 2013, 8:55 am

yea not buying the structural integrity bs, the landscaped (if you want to call it that) sides of the stadium have the same soil, slope, etc. as the rest of the seating next to it. If nothing else we can excavate down a couple of feet and back fill it with gravel. Its just SEATS we not building an enclosed structure! Geeze!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 16th, 2013, 8:59 am

ViAggie wrote:yea not buying the structural integrity bs, the landscaped (if you want to call it that) sides of the stadium have the same soil, slope, etc. as the rest of the seating next to it. If nothing else we can excavate down a couple of feet and back fill it with gravel. Its just SEATS we not building an enclosed structure! Geeze!
It isn't up to current building code. As soon as you touch it, you have the whole thing up to code.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 16th, 2013, 9:50 am

Those seats have to hold their own weight, the weight of a press box, luxury suites and 2 million pounds of Aggie-ice-cream-eating fans. I'd rather have them tear the thing to the ground and build it right than patchwork the thing together like Boise did with their stadium. Boise's stadium is ugly and has terrible sight lines.

glendayle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by glendayle » September 16th, 2013, 9:56 am

I hate to be the debbie downer on stadium expansion, but until we can sellout games for several seasons and ticket prices go up significantly, we should not be expanding the stadium. As much as I hate UT, they have been selling out games even in their bad years. I think they've sold out all of their games for 5+ years. Their ticket prices have gone up. IMO UT should be considering expansion if their is a market for it, but it appears that there is. It was not very long ago that our attendance was putting our FBS affiliation at risk.

natco

Post by natco » September 16th, 2013, 10:02 am

The easy place to expand is to add a section on each end on the upper east side. Both sections would sit on the hill side. Could be done easy for less than $500,000. If attendance continues like it has, it would pay for itself in just a few years. Seems like the thing to do.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 16th, 2013, 10:07 am

I agree with glendayle. But I also think the west-side stands are going to need to be done sooner rather than later from a safety point of view. I'm no structural engineer, but from what I understand concrete can only be relied upon for structural integrity for 50 years or so and then it begins to weaken (especially older concrete - I think modern concrete is better than that). That concrete on the west side is getting up there in years. I don't really trust it to be packed with fans for many more years.

When it comes down to it, we should do it as soon as we have the money to do it.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » September 16th, 2013, 10:11 am

It would be fairly inexpensive to add 3-5,000 seats with temporary metal bleachers in the south endzone. When the time comes for a permanent structure, sell them off to a high school.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » September 16th, 2013, 10:34 am

I'm willing the start the arson, I'm leaving in country in a bit. I need an alibi and suggestions where to start said fire.

Not sent from Tapatalk

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » September 16th, 2013, 10:43 am

I was thinking about this while I sat in my west side chair back seat on Saturday.
Step 1- Create a section 20 above section 12
Step 2- Build in the bowl around the south endzone
Step 3- Build press boxes above east bleachers
Step 4- Knock down upper west side chair back sections/press box
Step 5/6- Rebuild upper west side chair back sections, wrapped around above section 8. Build new press box
Step 7- Convert east side press box in to company suites
Step 8- Win BCS title

Final product = 48,000 seat stadium and a National Championship!

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » September 16th, 2013, 10:52 am

trevordude wrote:I'm willing the start the arson, I'm leaving in country in a bit. I need an alibi and suggestions where to start said fire.
Anything but that, arson is what lead Idaho to have the dome they currently have and we've seen the wonders that has done to the Vandals. lol

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 16th, 2013, 12:17 pm

We just need somebody with a tank (obviously military) to be doing a drill in the parking lot, fall asleep at the wheel and "accidentally" drive up the hill and plow through a few pillars.

(The tank is obviously necessary so that said driver doesn't get crushed.)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » September 16th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
ViAggie wrote:yea not buying the structural integrity bs, the landscaped (if you want to call it that) sides of the stadium have the same soil, slope, etc. as the rest of the seating next to it. If nothing else we can excavate down a couple of feet and back fill it with gravel. Its just SEATS we not building an enclosed structure! Geeze!
It isn't up to current building code. As soon as you touch it, you have the whole thing up to code.
From what I understand we have the same issue in the spectrum with the seats. If we were to replace all the seats we would have to meet code regarding seat width and room between rows, which would drastically reduce our capacity.

Servo

Post by Servo » September 16th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Houston tried "expanding" their stadium once when they were hosting Texas with temporary bleachers. Then 9-11 happened, the admins looked at the thing, shook their heads, realized that ~10k crazed football fans jumping up and down in the thing was pretty dangerous and took it all down.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » September 16th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Servo wrote:Houston tried "expanding" their stadium once when they were hosting Texas with temporary bleachers. Then 9-11 happened, the admins looked at the thing, shook their heads, realized that ~10k crazed football fans jumping up and down in the thing was pretty dangerous and took it all down.
At the USA/Mexico game on Tuesday they put temporary wooden bleachers on the stage at Columbus Crew Stadium, and it was exactly that, thousands of crazy people jumping all game. The bleachers were definetly bending with every bounce, and were flimsy enough that a few people ripped sections off to take home as souvieners.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 16th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Don't they use temporary bleachers to expand the UNLV stadium for the Las Vegas Bowl each year? I imagine this is done frequently.

jme
Been thanked: 0

Post by jme » September 16th, 2013, 2:16 pm

It's more of an ADA issue than a structural integrity issue. I was told that because Romney is not currently ADA compliant no new additions can be made without also fixing the current ADA issues. The NEZ complex escaped this because it is a separate building.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 16th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Back in 1996 I asked Chuck Bell about the stadium and ADA compliance and he said all it will take is a handicap sports reporter who cannot access the press box to force the University/state to upgrade the stadium.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 16th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Double post - sorry

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » September 16th, 2013, 2:43 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Don't they use temporary bleachers to expand the UNLV stadium for the Las Vegas Bowl each year? I imagine this is done frequently.
Isn't it pretty much what Boise did also? When we were there for the Potato Bowl it seemed like they were just metal bleachers in the end zone that they had put up on the track that goes around the field. They certainly didn't feel sturdy and permanent.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 16th, 2013, 2:44 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:Back in 1996 I asked Chuck Bell about the stadium and ADA compliance and he said all it will take is a handicap sports reporter who cannot access the press box to force the University/state to upgrade the stadium.
So, we just need someone to pull a Tonya Harding on one of the BYU reporters before the game?

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » September 16th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Don't you think we're maybe jumping the gun a little here? We have one and a half successful seasons and FINALLY sell out a non BYU/Utah game for the first time that I can remember and we want more seats? No way. We averaged 20k fans last year which is only 80% of our already tiny stadium... and we won eleven games!!
Let's wait until we regularly sell out games against our average opponent. Let's also remember that as much as we love the Aggies and some of us are willing to travel a couple hours to watch, Logan isn't exactly a huge metro area and only the die-hards (like us that post on these boards) from the Wasatch Front are going to drive 90 minutes for a football game, six times a year.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » September 16th, 2013, 4:23 pm

The upper half of Air Force's stadium is metal bleachers on one side. It seems that most of nevada's is as well.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 16th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Had my directions wrong meant east side my bad

Servo

Post by Servo » September 16th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Stadium improvements will continue. Barnes has said so many times. The Estes Center is the main construction project right now. Is there a timeline anywhere on the net for when we should expect future improvements?

Here is the campus Master Plan from 2011:
http://www.usu.edu/facilities/docs/plan ... 20Plan.pdf

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » September 16th, 2013, 11:30 pm

Would the stadium get much louder if the SEZ was closed of with an upper bowl?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 17th, 2013, 12:18 am

tjensen_25 wrote:Would the stadium get much louder if the SEZ was closed of with an upper bowl?
No, with the air flow cut off the stadium would become a high pressure zone and all the extra noise would escape straight up, seeking out the low pressure air. You need that air flowing through or a dome to keep all the noise down. One other way to counteract the low pressure zone would be to increase the amount of tuba's in the band by 627.

Hail Aggies!

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » September 17th, 2013, 12:26 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
tjensen_25 wrote:Would the stadium get much louder if the SEZ was closed of with an upper bowl?
No, with the air flow cut off the stadium would become a high pressure zone and all the extra noise would escape straight up, seeking out the low pressure air. You need that air flowing through or a dome to keep all the noise down. One other way to counteract the low pressure zone would be to increase the amount of tuba's in the band by 627.
I read most of that comment thinking it was the first serious comment I've ever seen from you...nope. That's why you're one of my favorite posters, you always get a crack in. They're pretty funny most of the time too :)

AggieHokieDawg

Post by AggieHokieDawg » September 17th, 2013, 8:39 am

Has anyone ever done a rendering of what Romney might look like if we were to complete the bowl on the south end, or even extend the east side seats up the hill? Even a rudimentary one would be interesting and would help the imagination. There must be someone on here who is adept enough to put together some sort of visuals using existing photos.

To those who say that we need to fill the stadium to capacity consistently before we expand:
I would suggest that you want to expand before you experience the need. One, it generates the perception that the Aggies are successful and, if years of living in Utah have taught me anything, Utahns love the trendy new thing. Further, if we're turning students away now (for Weber State, no less), we're already at the place where we have demonstrated demand for the product on the field. It would take a couple of years to secure funding, plan, and build any additions if we made the decision today to expand. These students will graduate soon and will continue to build the loyal fan base around the region. Another thing it demonstrates is a commitment to the formula that has brought us the success over the past 4-5 years. (Yes, even the 4-8 seasons were successful. Wins are not the only metric that determines a team's success, particularly when a team is rebuilding.) Building the stadium out signals an end to the complacency and apathy that surrounded the program for decades.

As far as bleachers on the south end zone... When I was at Virginia Tech, the north end zone in Lane Stadium had what I would call semi-permanent bleachers. They weren't the kind of metal bleachers that were temporary and moveable. But, it was clear that they were an adequate, cost-effective mid-term solution to adding seating. I have long thought that this would make a huge difference in the look and feel of MOFaRS.

But mostly, I want someone to fire up Photoshop or some 3D rendering. Even a snarky MS Paint version would do. =)

Formerly Dallin

You know, from Aggzilla's signature.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 17th, 2013, 9:20 am

What I'd like to see Romney be one day is a design similar to the new Husky Stadium but remove the roof and replace Husky's north-end bleachers and have our NEZ building instead.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 17th, 2013, 9:25 am

I did a quick mock up of an SEZ enclosure with this picture:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 17th, 2013, 9:28 am

Looks great BBD. I love the Doric columns and the classic art deco scoreboard with the bull on top.

AggieHokieDawg

Post by AggieHokieDawg » September 17th, 2013, 10:34 am

Those were some risky decisions. For example, the Ferris wheel seems like it would provide some unique views of the action. Also, how will it affect the orca tank to have so many people sitting in the sports bar patio right above it?

But, despite that, it really comes together very nicely.

Formerly Dallin

You know, from Aggzilla's signature.

Locked Previous topicNext topic