Last Point about Wisky game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blueballs
Has thanked: 0

Last Point about Wisky game

Post by Blueballs » September 19th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Ok, I know we are moving on to CSU etc. but I can't let this pass. That big 10 officiating crew stole the game from USU. Yes we should have made the field goal, but the bogus PI call against Bartlett, and it WAS bogus if you understand the rules. He is allowed to engage during the first five yards and his route was a five yard curl. Also the bogus PI called by a ref thirty yards behind the play with 2:42 left in the game giving Wisky another set of downs was suspicious. These two penalties and their timing at the end of the game are very telling IMO. The big ten was looking out for one of their own. Its a bunch of Bullhockey. End of statement. Turn the page. Go Aggies, beat CSU!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Last Point about Wisky game

Post by BigBlueDart » September 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Wouldn't they have been WAC refs?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 19th, 2012, 7:54 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Wouldn't they have been WAC refs?
Why?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 19th, 2012, 7:57 pm

I thought that the visiting team brought the refs?

GUS

Post by GUS » September 19th, 2012, 7:59 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:I thought that the visiting team brought the refs?
Not in the money games. The team with the money gets to pick the refs.

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » September 19th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Unfortunately, no. They were Big Ten refs. Ridiculous that we have to play in their stadium with their refs. Its a bogus system for sure.

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » September 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Here is the list of Refs for that game. You can do your own search to see which of these bozos made those two critical calls.
Referee: Todd Geerlings • Umpire: Rick Nelson • Linesman: M. Mahouski • Line judge: Ron Tipton • Back judge: Rob Luklan • Field judge: Darrel Leftwich • Side judge: Ed Smith • Scorer: Joe Dempich

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 19th, 2012, 9:00 pm

I am pretty sure that the 5 yards engagement rule applies only to the defense so if Bartlett did push off, I have not seen a replay, then it was the correct call. Either way, just like BYU, we had a make able FG to win. That is on us and not the refs.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 19th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I just watched the game, and it appears to be PI - surely a close call, and I'm not sure how the guy from down field could make the call. From way down field in the stands it looked clean, but the angle the camera had, looked much more like a good call. The worst of it is, the receiver wasn't going to catch the ball, it was in the dirt.

Another thing I am not sure was right - and cost us about 40 seconds was - they started the clock after the holding call which immediately followed the PI call - which forced us to us our timeouts before 3rd down.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:I just watched the game, and it appears to be PI - surely a close call, and I'm not sure how the guy from down field could make the call. From way down field in the stands it looked clean, but the angle the camera had, looked much more like a good call. The worst of it is, the receiver wasn't going to catch the ball, it was in the dirt.

Another thing I am not sure was right - and cost us about 40 seconds was - they started the clock after the holding call which immediately followed the PI call - which forced us to us our timeouts before 3rd down.
We should have declined the penalty and taken the loss of down and got the ball back sooner.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 19th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Not to mention the roughing the passer flag on the pick was a terrible call. The QB was still in bounds, the Aggie player was less than two steps from the QB at the time of the throw and the push wasn't very hard.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 19th, 2012, 9:51 pm

dyedblue wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:I just watched the game, and it appears to be PI - surely a close call, and I'm not sure how the guy from down field could make the call. From way down field in the stands it looked clean, but the angle the camera had, looked much more like a good call. The worst of it is, the receiver wasn't going to catch the ball, it was in the dirt.

We should have declined the penalty and taken the loss of down and got the ball back sooner.
Except we needed to make it harder for them to get the first down.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm

brownjeans wrote:Not to mention the roughing the passer flag on the pick was a terrible call. The QB was still in bounds, the Aggie player was less than two steps from the QB at the time of the throw and the push wasn't very hard.
What I heard was the problem was Tavaris extended his arms after the ball was released.

aggie16
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggie16 » September 19th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Blueballs wrote:Ok, I know we are moving on to CSU etc. but I can't let this pass. That big 10 officiating crew stole the game from USU. Yes we should have made the field goal, but the bogus PI call against Bartlett, and it WAS bogus if you understand the rules. He is allowed to engage during the first five yards and his route was a five yard curl. Also the bogus PI called by a ref thirty yards behind the play with 2:42 left in the game giving Wisky another set of downs was suspicious. These two penalties and their timing at the end of the game are very telling IMO. The big ten was looking out for one of their own. Its a bunch of Bullhockey. End of statement. Turn the page. Go Aggies, beat CSU!
I am re-watching the game again and I agree 100%. We got robbed. :bs:

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » September 19th, 2012, 11:35 pm

That kinda stinks. I can't call fowl on the PI call too much. The time of the clock hurt us though. That bald head is scaring me too!

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

dangeroos
Been thanked: 0

Post by dangeroos » September 20th, 2012, 12:26 am

Blueballs wrote:Ok, I know we are moving on to CSU etc. but I can't let this pass. That big 10 officiating crew stole the game from USU. Yes we should have made the field goal, but the bogus PI call against Bartlett, and it WAS bogus if you understand the rules. He is allowed to engage during the first five yards and his route was a five yard curl. Also the bogus PI called by a ref thirty yards behind the play with 2:42 left in the game giving Wisky another set of downs was suspicious. These two penalties and their timing at the end of the game are very telling IMO. The big ten was looking out for one of their own. Its a bunch of Bullhockey. End of statement. Turn the page. Go Aggies, beat CSU!
The rulebook stole the game away from us. It isn't right that a late hit on the QB penalty can negate an interception. Late hits don't affect the follow through of a pass. Late hit penalties should tack -15 yards on to the end of the spot of the interception. It's likely we would have scored soon after had a flag not been thrown on that 1st quarter play resulting in an interception.

The PI call at the end didn't bother me. We had stolen all the momentum back and were outplaying them. The kick just didn't go where it was supposed to go.

We have to go deeper.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 20th, 2012, 9:11 am

It is my understanding that the offensive receiver can make contact and push off within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, as long as the ball is not yet in the air.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 20th, 2012, 9:19 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:It is my understanding that the offensive receiver can make contact and push off within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, as long as the ball is not yet in the air.
That's an nfl rule i think

Posted from my Android

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » September 20th, 2012, 9:22 am

I haven't seen replays of either the PI against Bartlett or the PI against Jake Murphy in the Utah game, but from the stands, they both looked like very similar calls. For those of you that believe that the Bartlett PI was a bad call, do you also believe the Jake Murphy PI that benefitted USU was a bad call?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » September 20th, 2012, 9:50 am

BRuss804 wrote:I haven't seen replays of either the PI against Bartlett or the PI against Jake Murphy in the Utah game, but from the stands, they both looked like very similar calls. For those of you that believe that the Bartlett PI was a bad call, do you also believe the Jake Murphy PI that benefitted USU was a bad call?
My first thought after the Bartlett PI was that now I know how Utah fans felt the previous week. I do think one difference between the two is that Bartlett didn't get the separation from the Wisconsin defender that Murphy got from Brady.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 20th, 2012, 10:07 am

You were there so you would know better than I, but I don't remember the clock starting before we called timeout. At the time, I couldn't believe we wasted a timeout there.

I don't think the clock should start, but if it were to start, we should have obviously declined that penalty and gone to 2nd and 7 or 8.

The PI call was probably technically correct, and my guess is the official that called it only saw the receiver's arms fully extended into the body of the defender and called it. But, that kind of contact happens a lot and is very rarely called so it was a tough deal to have it called at that juncture, just like it must have been for Utah the prior week.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 20th, 2012, 10:18 am

I just watched it last night on DVR and it did start. I had thought that the clock was running from the play before, so that's why I paid special attention to that sequence - and that's when I realized both penalties were back-to-back

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 20th, 2012, 11:08 am

brownjeans wrote:Not to mention the roughing the passer flag on the pick was a terrible call. The QB was still in bounds, the Aggie player was less than two steps from the QB at the time of the throw and the push wasn't very hard.
C'mon now. You know better than that. There's no reason that the defender needs to put his hands on the QB in that situation. The defender needs to anticipate the QB throwing the football. The official's obligation is the protect the QB when the QB is in a vulnerable position. Tavaris simply made what was in my opinion the most egregious mistake of the game. If the Ags get the INT in that case, the game isn't so close in the 2nd half and it's a completely different game where Wisconsin is forced to throw more which would've bode well for the Aggies because their passing game leaves a lot to be desired.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 20th, 2012, 3:21 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
What I heard was the problem was Tavaris extended his arms after the ball was released.
Good call, bonehead move. It was avoidable. I thought the officiating was fine.

l. No defensive player shall charge into a passer or throw him to the
ground when it is obvious the ball has been thrown. This is roughing
the passer, and the penalty is added to the end of the last run when it
ends beyond the neutral zone and there is no change of team possession
during the down (Exception: A defensive player who is blocked by a
Team A player[s] with a force so that he has no opportunity to avoid
contact with the passer. However, this does not relieve the defensive
player of responsibility for personal fouls as described in Rule 9-1-2-a.)
(A.R. 2-30-4-I and II; A.R. 9-1-2-XIV, XXVII and XXVIII; and A.R.
10-2-2-XXXIII, XXXV and XXXVI).

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic