Playing @Hawaii

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
wacfan08
Has thanked: 0

Playing @Hawaii

Post by wacfan08 » August 23rd, 2011, 11:34 pm

Anyone know why we didn't chose to play a 13 game this year with us getting a extra game for playing @ Hawaii ?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Playing @Hawaii

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 23rd, 2011, 11:36 pm

Would have been a great opportunity to bring in another team. We don't seem to take advantage of this loophole very much if I'm remembering right.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » August 23rd, 2011, 11:40 pm

Hipster how is your niece doing ?

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 24th, 2011, 7:08 am

wacfan08 wrote:Anyone know why we didn't chose to play a 13 game this year with us getting a extra game for playing @ Hawaii ?
I remember reading somewhere that Gary didn't want it -- would prefer having two bye weeks. Most of Hawaii's home opponents scheduled a 13th game -- only USU and BYU didn't.

Nobody here knows anything.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 24th, 2011, 7:38 am

I thought that it was because we didn't have time. I know that was the excuse that BYU had as well. Boise would have been our 13th game this year. By the time they pulled out of the conference it made it difficult to find another team to fill in the gap.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 24th, 2011, 8:23 am

That makes sense Provo.

I know it wouldn't show up in the win column cause only one can count, but would it have been at all profitable to just bring in another FCS team? I'm curious as to whether people think Aggie fans would come out to watch a second FCS game. I'm not sure they would, but when you're trying to build a winning attitude, something like that could be helpful to the team.

And wacfan08, she's currently battling a fever (~103), which is scary cause her immune system is at ground zero right now since she just finished a round of chemo. As always, thanks for your concern.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 24th, 2011, 9:48 am

The entire time we've been in the WAC with Hawaii we've never taken advantage of the 13th game when playing on the islands, I'm guessing that it has more to do with scheduling than anything else. Besides, who are we going to get to play us in Logan? We'd have to return the game eventually if it was a non-FBS. And if it's a FCS team we're playing, we'd probably end up playing two in one year, which even with a 13 game scheule, never looks good. I know Idaho has done it (sucessfully). Hell we could have played a D11 school like Western Oregon or someone? But we would have had to do it at the begining of the season, and that cuts into our BB game$.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

JasonJensen
Been thanked: 0

Post by JasonJensen » August 24th, 2011, 9:50 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:That makes sense Provo.

I know it wouldn't show up in the win column cause only one can count, but would it have been at all profitable to just bring in another FCS team? I'm curious as to whether people think Aggie fans would come out to watch a second FCS game. I'm not sure they would, but when you're trying to build a winning attitude, something like that could be helpful to the team.

And wacfan08, she's currently battling a fever (~103), which is scary cause her immune system is at ground zero right now since she just finished a round of chemo. As always, thanks for your concern.
We have a bye the 3rd week of the season. To me, having a bye week in football is terrible. I usually dread it every year. It's nice to get players healthy and work out a few kinks on the team, but it's a whopping 2 weeks until you see a game again.

I would personally take that September 17th date and play another FCS team. September is beautiful in Logan and I love nothing more than being out in the fresh air watching a football game. It's too bad we couldn't make it happen. The average person that might go to the game sees a win as a win no matter who it is against. It hasn't hurt our basketball team so I don't know why we wouldn't take advantage of it. Playing the well known teams of college football every year for 4-5 games per year is what has killed us in my opinion.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 24th, 2011, 10:10 am

A couple of additional complications that arise from the 13th game:

You have to pay the FCS team. On a bare-bones budget like ours, we don't have the scratch to pay for two teams to come to Logan. Sure, we get our $800,000 or whatever from Auburn, but we need that for our own department expenses. If Weber or Idaho St. were to actually sell out, it might make a difference. But even 24,000 people and concessions will barely net you $250,000. FCS teams usually want more than that to play us.

The 13th game also puts you in the position where you have to win 7 games to go to a bowl. We can barely win 4 a year. Let's not make things too difficult on ourselves just yet.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 24th, 2011, 12:13 pm

play unlv. don't have to pay and get a free win.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 24th, 2011, 12:31 pm

JasonJensen wrote: We have a bye the 3rd week of the season. To me, having a bye week in football is terrible. I usually dread it every year. It's nice to get players healthy and work out a few kinks on the team, but it's a whopping 2 weeks until you see a game again.
While I would love to have another Sept. home game, I think that bye week will come in handy. Colorado St. is a very important game for us, and the time off will only help IMO. If it was before the Weber game, I don't think I would feel that way.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Locked Previous topicNext topic