Are the QB's still splitting reps in practice?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tkmad
Has thanked: 0

Are the QB's still splitting reps in practice?

Post by tkmad » August 23rd, 2011, 4:47 pm

I can live with not "announcing" the starting QB to the media as long as he has named a starter and he is getting the majority of reps with the other first teamers. Anyone know if that i the case? If we are still splitting reps between Kennedy and Keeton to this point, coach A is taking one out of Mendenhall's and Brent Guy's playbook..

aggieaggie

Re: Are the QB's still splitting reps in practice?

Post by aggieaggie » August 23rd, 2011, 4:57 pm

Nice try Gene Chizik. You thought we were going to fall for that one.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 23rd, 2011, 4:57 pm

He said on the radio earlier that the coaching staff is pretty confident in who the starter is going to be and he's pretty sure that the players know who it is as well. It didn't really sound like he had made an official announcement to the team from what I heard though. He said that he's definitely not going to run a 2 QB system but there is a fairly decent chance that both will play in the 1st game.

JasonJensen
Been thanked: 0

Post by JasonJensen » August 23rd, 2011, 5:14 pm

Both of quarterbacks have been playing today but I was only there for part of practice at which point Keeton was on the field. Let's just say he looked really good today. We're lucky too have a dual qb threat.

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » August 23rd, 2011, 5:15 pm

aggieaggie wrote:Nice try Gene Chizik. You thought we were going to fall for that one.

:lol:

tkmad

Post by tkmad » August 24th, 2011, 3:01 pm

IMO, Coach A is going against everything he preached this Spring abou the QB. SPlitting reps through preseason between two QBs does not work. SEE: Riley Nelson and Jake Heaps. If he isn't planning a two QB system, why not let the starting QB get as much as practice as possible with the other first teamers??? This is the first step down the wrong path and there is plenty of history to show this won't end well..

"QB still a mystery :
Don’t expect a starting quarterback to be named before the Auburn game, Andersen said. Both Chuckie Keeton and Adam Kennedy are still splitting the first-team snaps. The USU coach says he pretty much knows who will get the start, but does not want to tip his hand before the season opener. “I would like Auburn to have to prepare for both quarterbacks,” Andersen said. It appeared last week that Keeton had the edge, based on his lack of turnovers. Andersen said it was possible that both QBs would play against Auburn.

2BlueBallzz

Post by 2BlueBallzz » August 24th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Settle down mad the team knows who the starter is and so do many on this board who have been attending practice on a regular basis.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » August 24th, 2011, 3:24 pm

as well as those who have not attended practice on a regular basis...

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 24th, 2011, 4:23 pm

tkmad wrote:IMO, Coach A is going against everything he preached this Spring abou the QB. SPlitting reps through preseason between two QBs does not work. SEE: Riley Nelson and Jake Heaps. If he isn't planning a two QB system, why not let the starting QB get as much as practice as possible with the other first teamers??? This is the first step down the wrong path and there is plenty of history to show this won't end well..

"QB still a mystery :
Don’t expect a starting quarterback to be named before the Auburn game, Andersen said. Both Chuckie Keeton and Adam Kennedy are still splitting the first-team snaps. The USU coach says he pretty much knows who will get the start, but does not want to tip his hand before the season opener. “I would like Auburn to have to prepare for both quarterbacks,” Andersen said. It appeared last week that Keeton had the edge, based on his lack of turnovers. Andersen said it was possible that both QBs would play against Auburn.
Coach has specifically said he won't be "splitting" QB time in games (like BYU did last year). "Both QBs would play" is meaningless. One could take one snap and that would be true. It's all just coach speak for "lets keep 'em guessing"

Cougargradaggiefan

Post by Cougargradaggiefan » August 24th, 2011, 4:47 pm

I heard from a reliable source that Adam Keeton will be the starter ;)

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 24th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I heard from a reliable source that Uncle Rico will be the starter.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 24th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Cougargradaggiefan wrote:I heard from a reliable source that Adam Keeton will be the starter ;)
I hope Chuckie Kennedy keeps his head up. We may still have need of him. :noidea:

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 24th, 2011, 5:40 pm

I just got back from practice and that was one of the main things I was looking at, and I felt like they shared the reps with the 1st teamers pretty evenly this afternoon. Both looked pretty decent I thought, but I felt like the defensive line was all over the O-line today making them both run for their lives.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 24th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I thought practices were now closed?

Come on, we need to face the reality that is USU is Auburn's scrimmage game. They aren't trolling our boards for insight as though it might help as they feel they may need a key first down late in the fourth quarter. in their minds this game should be over by halftime regardless of scouting.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » August 24th, 2011, 7:42 pm

2BlueBallzz wrote:Settle down mad the team knows who the starter is and so do many on this board who have been attending practice on a regular basis.
I get that a starter has been "chosen" and that the team knows. I don't get why that starter isn't getting the majority of reps in practice? Tony Jones reported both are still splitting reps in practice evenly. I haven't heard a very good answer.

If we look at our neighbors to the South and how they screwed up their season last year, they will tell you that Heaps didn't develop until the second half of the season when he started getting the majority of reps in practice once Nelson went down. If we were to be planning on playing a true freshman as well, seems like it would be nice to get him all the reps possible under center in the practices leading up to the season opener....

ryanolsen

Post by ryanolsen » August 24th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I suspect next week the starter will get at least most of the reps with the 1's. There's only one more practice and 2 scrimmages anyway. Where's the roll call post for the scrimmage Saturday? Who's going to be there tomorrow?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 24th, 2011, 8:32 pm

My son and I will both be there.. Wouldn't miss it. Good to hear the D Front is playing well. On the other hand the O line sounds suspect.. Got me kinda nervouse

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 24th, 2011, 9:11 pm

I'm fine with waiting for the Auburn game, keep them guessing, with a new QB and two very capable ones in the system, why tip your hand when you don't have to?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

tkmad

Post by tkmad » August 24th, 2011, 9:21 pm

ViAggie wrote:I'm fine with waiting for the Auburn game, keep them guessing, with a new QB and two very capable ones in the system, why tip your hand when you don't have to?
This method assumes that having Auburn not know who our QB is going to be is more valuable than extra reps in practice for the starting QB. I don't agree with that, but I'm no coach. I just don't see Auburn sweating bullets on whether or not we have a pocket passer of dual threat. They won't admit it, but I bet they are spending a good amount of time already prepping for Mississippi State who they play the week after us.

Again, this is how I feel:

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 25th, 2011, 8:49 am

tkmad wrote:This method assumes that having Auburn not know who our QB is going to be is more valuable than extra reps in practice for the starting QB. I don't agree with that, but I'm no coach. I just don't see Auburn sweating bullets on whether or not we have a pocket passer of dual threat. They won't admit it, but I bet they are spending a good amount of time already prepping for Mississippi State who they play the week after us.
I agree with you 100%, tkmad. I'm fine with not publicly naming a starting quarterback, but the equal splitting of reps suggests that the decision has not been made, which I think hurts us at this point. I don't buy the excuse that we are trying to make Auburn prepare for two different quarterbacks. Doesn't that suggest that play-calling/packages/schemes will be different depending on who is at quarterback? That can be the only logical inference. Accordingly, that means that the entire offense, not just the quarterback, is only getting half as many reps as they should be getting on the play-calling/packages/schemes that will be used in the game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic