Chuck Jacobs interview...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigPermAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chuck Jacobs interview...

Post by BigPermAg » August 19th, 2011, 10:10 pm

I hadn't seen Chuck interviewed before and wanted to pass it along:

http://www.cachevalley.com/tabid/361/Vi ... fault.aspx

A lot of interviews in there. :golfclap:

dogie

Re: Chuck Jacobs interview...

Post by dogie » August 19th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Cliff Andreasen would have made him cut his hair. Butch Gutke would have as well.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 20th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Good interviews. I'm not a long hair fan for FB players either, but hey... if the coach is cool with it, and they perform... :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 20th, 2011, 7:15 pm

I like it! Sounds like a good Kid. Don't care about the hair, as long as a Player has good character and is a team player don't care :cheers:

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » August 20th, 2011, 7:26 pm

dogie wrote:Cliff Andreasen would have made him cut his hair. Butch Gutke would have as well.

Butch Gutke?? Now talk about a blast from the past! Does anyone have any old footage of Butch running the football? I hear he was the best running back to ever come out of Cache Valley. Good to see we've got some old timers here. Butch was my coach in Junior High. What I remember about him is that everything was prefaced with "hey, hey..". We ended up calling "Hey, Hey Gutke" (behind his back of course!). Had I known in Junior High what a great collegiate player he had been, I would have been more respectful. :thanks:

...and sorry for hijacking the thread. Jacobs sounds like a real humble kid. From Richmond, California, he would have had a very challenging upbringing. Unless you've spent time in some of those neighborhoods, you have no idea. I could care less about his hair. It's what's in the heart that counts.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 21st, 2011, 7:53 am

Butch Gutke?? Now talk about a blast from the past! Does anyone have any old footage of Butch running the football? I hear he was the best running back to ever come out of Cache Valley. Had I known in Junior High what a great collegiate player he had been, I would have been more respectful. :thanks:

Where did Butch play college ball? Regret I missed following him. Also consider Jay Van Noy from Cache Valley who may still hold a USU running back record or two, and he played in the late 40s or early 50s. Eric Maughan played at USU 64-66 and was an excellent running back, and Eric was on the same team as MacArthur Lane, and split playing time with "The Truck". That says a lot.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 21st, 2011, 9:06 am

I did summer sales in Richmond. Rough place. I hope Jacobs does well not only as a football player but as a person. Best of luck to him.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » August 21st, 2011, 9:35 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Butch Gutke?? Now talk about a blast from the past! Does anyone have any old footage of Butch running the football? I hear he was the best running back to ever come out of Cache Valley. Had I known in Junior High what a great collegiate player he had been, I would have been more respectful. :thanks:

Where did Butch play college ball? Regret I missed following him. Also consider Jay Van Noy from Cache Valley who may still hold a USU running back record or two, and he played in the late 40s or early 50s. Eric Maughan played at USU 64-66 and was an excellent running back, and Eric was on the same team as MacArthur Lane, and split playing time with "The Truck". That says a lot.

He played at Utah State. I heard he was just a phenomenal running back. I'd like to know more. He may have gotten some national accolades too.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 24th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:...and sorry for hijacking the thread. Jacobs sounds like a real humble kid. From Richmond, California, he would have had a very challenging upbringing. Unless you've spent time in some of those neighborhoods, you have no idea. I could care less about his hair. It's what's in the heart that counts.
I also am not bothered by what a player's hair looked like. I just wanted to bring up my former football coach, Cliff
Andreason, and especially my grandfather, Butch Gutke. Coach Gutke has another half-dozen grandsons on this board.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 24th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:Butch Gutke?? Now talk about a blast from the past! Does anyone have any old footage of Butch running the football? I hear he was the best running back to ever come out of Cache Valley. Had I known in Junior High what a great collegiate player he had been, I would have been more respectful. :thanks:

He played at Utah State. I heard he was just a phenomenal running back. I'd like to know more. He may have gotten some national accolades too.
Harold Gutke played for the Aggies in the late '30s and then after his mission through probably about 1943. He wasn't an All-American, but played well for USU. I think he had some minor injuries during his years at USU. He was invited to the New York Giants training camp as a punter (probably in about '44), but joined the Navy instead.

He coached high school football in Sheridan, WY; Sugar City, ID; Tooele, UT; and at North Cache High - and then at NC Junior High. He also coached basketball and track. He showed me how to shoot foul pitches and do the broad jump. He advised me against playing football because of injuries and against playing soccer because - well - he just thought it was a waste of a sport. I'm guessing he stopped coaching in the early- or mid-70s. He died about ten years ago.

LittleJohn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LittleJohn » August 24th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Don't forgt Earl Lindley out of South Cache High School. He is an Aggie Hall of Famer who went on to have a great career playing in the Canadian Football League.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » August 25th, 2011, 2:08 pm

I graduated North Cache Junior High in '72. Harold Gutke was our football coach (as previously stated)----along with Coach Hess (cannot recall his first name) and Evan Hall. I learned years later that Coach Gutke was a "phenomenal" running back (I hope my information is accruate). I had no idea of this at the time he was my coach. If any Gutke family members can give us more information on his football career it would be appreciated. Agan, I heard he was just a great running back. In retrospect that did not surprise me because he was not a tall man, but seemed to have powerful legs. I can envision him as a short, fast back with great cutting ability.

Thanks,

Locked Previous topicNext topic