Can Aggie Fans Keep Up?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Can Aggie Fans Keep Up?

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 19th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Gary Andersen seems to be taking this program to another level. Utah State's season ticket sales are embarrassing. When will Utah State's fans catch up with the progress/improvement that Coach A is making? Will it be after a bowl this season, assuming that happens? Need 7 wins, btw. What if the team only wins 6 games and doesn't go to a bowl? Does the fan support improve?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Can Aggie Fans Keep Up?

Post by ProvoAggie » August 19th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I think that people are waiting to see the improvement in the program. People want to see a winning season. People want to see a bowl game. People want to see a team that never gives up. This team has shown that they can be that team but they haven't yet shown that they are that team. When people see those things then they'll start buying season tickets.

2BlueBallzz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 2BlueBallzz » August 19th, 2011, 1:33 pm

You're speaking to the choir here, most the people in cache valley don't believe in the Aggs right now. I get laughed at all the time. One other problem is I know so USU alum who are season ticket holders at Ybu and are proud of it, they were giving my wife crap the other day. :bangwall:

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 19th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Most people in Cache Valley are plain and simple unaware. They'll buy the tickets if the product is worth buying - if their perception of Aggie football improves.

They've seen n more than 4 wins in the past, what, decade?

Until we up the win total, especially at home, your ticket sales will remain abysmal.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 19th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I come up to every home game from Farmington, and make it to some away games. My 13-year old is focused on playing football at Utah State. My 21 year-old daughter is about to graduate this coming school year, and my other 2 daughters are going to attend USU also.

I'm an Aggie. My wife is an Aggie. Win or lose, I'm an Aggie. I'm not an Aggie only if we are winning. That stadium should be sold out for every home game.

Full

Post by Full » August 19th, 2011, 1:53 pm

The Idaho game last year was not fun to watch as a fan. What I saw in that game was an emotional team focused on winning and a team that just wanted to get the beating over with. As a fan my perception was Idaho wanted to win and the Aggies did not.

I also watched a game earlier in the year that would make me want to go to another game. Actually it motivated me to travel through the I-15 Core Project the last day in September. Go Aggies!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 19th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Agreed! That Idaho game was terrible, much like the Hawaii game last year as well. Maybe it's an illness, but I'm still going to keep coming up with my son. It's great to be an Aggie!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 19th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? The answer is the AD and marketing. I believe that USU FAILS miserably at marketing their product and making it accessible for Wasatch Front Aggies. They have neglected them for so long that many do not feel any connection to the program. I know more people from Logan that drive to BYU games than Wasatch front Aggies that drive to Logan to watch games.

1. TV Coverage
USU has had the mentality that if the games are on TV fans will not come to games. How much revenue do ticket sales bring to the table and how much does advertising and merchandise bring to the table. You need a fan base, as big of a fan base as you can get. The CW30 deal and ESPN3 have helped but only the diehards will know when and where to find the games. I noticed Ray Citte and some other Ogden businesses have been advertising on CW30. Get more fans in the area and we can tap into more.

2. Radio Coverage
Absolutely pathetic night coverage of the Aggies for most of the Wasatch Front. Decision last year to ban online streaming was complete and utter BS. New and improved radio coverage this year is a good thing. We must insist on better promotion, interviews, etc. from SLC sports stations. We need to bring advertising $$$ from businesses to them and let them know they are advertising on their stations because of Utah State.

3. Ticketing policies
When USU played BYU in the ESA you could not, as a Wasatch front non-season ticket holder, buy a ticket to the game. Tickets were doled out to students, and up to 10 for each season ticket holder. You have to take care of those 2 groups first, I get it. But events like that should have been an opportunity to involve and showcase USU basketball to the Wasatch front Aggies. It sends the wrong message to hold a game like that and then exclude those in area from going. The same thing happened 2 years ago when BYU played in Logan. You could not buy a ticket unless you were a season ticket holder, which meant of course that you already had tickets to begin with.

For the out of conference part of the basketball season, single game tickets are not made available until the day of the game. It is impossible for most working Aggie fans to drive to Logan, in the winter, 19 times. Especially for Thursday games. I will not drive to Logan hoping and praying there is a ticket available for me when I get there.

4. Special Events/Promotions/Discounts/Packages for football games
There are no events or game day promotions designed to get Wasatch front Aggies to games. Why not have a Wasatch Front Aggie day with $15 GA tickets? Pick a game like Wyoming that Wasatch Front Aggies have some interest in that will not be a sellout. As part of that setup a tour of the Hall of Fame and have a small hospitality tent setup where you could show the incredible benefit of donations. Why is the Hall of Fame closed on game days?

Last year I spent nearly $300 on homecoming last year to bring my family and stay in Logan. Why not offer up some staycation type packages with some of the local hotels and restaurants. They need to understand the impact that the university has on the business community in Logan. Throw together some lunch/dinner and game packages and some meal/hotel and game packages. I stayed at the Best Western where there were many families that were staying there for the game. Some of the old time Aggie greats stayed there for their reunion. We had some fun with a couple of Hawaii fans that were there. It was a blast. You could even hold an evening reception to help Aggies connect.

For basketball work some similar type deals for the Gossner when the students are gone. Again this would bring $$$ to the university for games that are not selling out now.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » August 19th, 2011, 2:13 pm

I was talking to a new coworker today and telling him he should bring his kids out to Aggie family fun day next Saturday. He told me that he was thinking about it because his kid is playing little league football in Logan and was given season tickets to see the Aggies. I didnt know they were doing that but he said that every kid playing litle leage in the Cache Valley area was given them as a gift from Cache valley electric. I told him that was awesome and he laughed and sarcastically said no it wasnt because now he had to go buy season tickets so he could take is son. I told him it was the best deal in town and he agreed. Does anyone know if this is a new thing or have they always given season tickets out? I always thought they just got to attend one game for free.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 19th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Free tickets to the local elementary schools in combo with meet and greet days with the players visiting these schools. If the kids get excited and beg to go see their new favorite player, mom and dad will take them.

I also agree particular game packages are a good idea. In a day and age where schedules are filled with weddings, birthdays, and family obligations, the fringe fan doesn't dare commit to season tickets.

The economy is a factor, admit it or not. No one wants to spend the money unless their certain about the product first. Unfortunately, this program is in the win first, fan support later situation thanks to the last 30 years of football.

aggieblood

Post by aggieblood » August 19th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Last year our high school football coaching staff, six coaches, were each given two free tickets to every home game. I took them up on the offer once. This was a great way to deveop good relations here in southern Idaho.

Go Aggies!

Agsman

Post by Agsman » August 19th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Casual fans love a winner. If GA wins (which almost everyone on this board believes), the fans will fill the stands.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 19th, 2011, 2:39 pm

dyedblue, that is a spot on post. Well done, sir.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 19th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Agsman wrote:Casual fans love a winner. If GA wins (which almost everyone on this board believes), the fans will fill the stands.
Good point. Rarely are passionate fans just born like those of us on this board. Rather passionate fans are made from casual fans. Look at the University of Utah, not much loyalty or following there until they started winning and now they've all been "Ute fans for life". (life = since 2006)

Logan is a basketball town, and that is in large part to the winning tradition. I wish everyone could see that getting behind the football program could turn the tide, but the passion isn't there, and there frankly isn't enough fans like us board members to make a huge difference.

Utah State was sentenced to 30 years of football purgatory the day Utah and BYU decided to give us the collective cold shoulder. Those 30 years represent generations of Aggie football fans that weren't created or converted, which today would give the program the strong support we're needing. So we're pretty much starting from scratch. Let's do it!

I'm glad to hear about the season tickets to little league players. That's how you grow a fanbase. You got to get these kids before the whorish calls of Salt Lake and Utah County can lure them in.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 19th, 2011, 2:55 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Free tickets to the local elementary schools in combo with meet and greet days with the players visiting these schools. If the kids get excited and beg to go see their new favorite player, mom and dad will take them.

I also agree particular game packages are a good idea. In a day and age where schedules are filled with weddings, birthdays, and family obligations, the fringe fan doesn't dare commit to season tickets.
They're doing these two right now. My kids got free tickets to a game when the football players came to participate in a reading activity at their school last fall. And there was an ad in Sunday's Herald Journal about two-game ticket packages.

But reaching out to the Wasatch Front is critical. I don't see billboards or newspaper ads or TV ads or anything outside of Cache Valley. I know these things cost money, but you have to spend money to make it.

Winning will fix a lot of things, and I'm worried that if we don't win soon we'll lose our best opportunity for growth and progress for the next 10 years.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 19th, 2011, 3:05 pm

great point BLM, they should get at least 4 billboards between Brigham and Salt Lake. One west of Perry/Willard for the Box Elder county folks (including Tremonton), one in Ogden, one in Layton/Kaysville area, and one near downtown in SL.

TheWoodshed

Post by TheWoodshed » August 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:I was talking to a new coworker today and telling him he should bring his kids out to Aggie family fun day next Saturday. He told me that he was thinking about it because his kid is playing little league football in Logan and was given season tickets to see the Aggies. I didnt know they were doing that but he said that every kid playing litle leage in the Cache Valley area was given them as a gift from Cache valley electric. I told him that was awesome and he laughed and sarcastically said no it wasnt because now he had to go buy season tickets so he could take is son. I told him it was the best deal in town and he agreed. Does anyone know if this is a new thing or have they always given season tickets out? I always thought they just got to attend one game for free.

A few of the young men in our ward were telling me about this Cache Valley Electric thing. I believe it is brand new for this year. Every player on all the Cache Valley teams in the WFFL (Wastach Front Football League) gets a ticket to every home game this year.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 19th, 2011, 3:14 pm

dyedblue wrote:Do you know what the definition of insanity is? The answer is the AD and marketing. I believe that USU FAILS miserably at marketing their product and making it accessible for Wasatch Front Aggies. They have neglected them for so long that many do not feel any connection to the program. I know more people from Logan that drive to BYU games than Wasatch front Aggies that drive to Logan to watch games.

1. TV Coverage
USU has had the mentality that if the games are on TV fans will not come to games. How much revenue do ticket sales bring to the table and how much does advertising and merchandise bring to the table. You need a fan base, as big of a fan base as you can get. The CW30 deal and ESPN3 have helped but only the diehards will know when and where to find the games. I noticed Ray Citte and some other Ogden businesses have been advertising on CW30. Get more fans in the area and we can tap into more.

2. Radio Coverage
Absolutely pathetic night coverage of the Aggies for most of the Wasatch Front. Decision last year to ban online streaming was complete and utter BS. New and improved radio coverage this year is a good thing. We must insist on better promotion, interviews, etc. from SLC sports stations. We need to bring advertising $$$ from businesses to them and let them know they are advertising on their stations because of Utah State.

3. Ticketing policies
When USU played BYU in the ESA you could not, as a Wasatch front non-season ticket holder, buy a ticket to the game. Tickets were doled out to students, and up to 10 for each season ticket holder. You have to take care of those 2 groups first, I get it. But events like that should have been an opportunity to involve and showcase USU basketball to the Wasatch front Aggies. It sends the wrong message to hold a game like that and then exclude those in area from going. The same thing happened 2 years ago when BYU played in Logan. You could not buy a ticket unless you were a season ticket holder, which meant of course that you already had tickets to begin with.

For the out of conference part of the basketball season, single game tickets are not made available until the day of the game. It is impossible for most working Aggie fans to drive to Logan, in the winter, 19 times. Especially for Thursday games. I will not drive to Logan hoping and praying there is a ticket available for me when I get there.

4. Special Events/Promotions/Discounts/Packages for football games
There are no events or game day promotions designed to get Wasatch front Aggies to games. Why not have a Wasatch Front Aggie day with $15 GA tickets? Pick a game like Wyoming that Wasatch Front Aggies have some interest in that will not be a sellout. As part of that setup a tour of the Hall of Fame and have a small hospitality tent setup where you could show the incredible benefit of donations. Why is the Hall of Fame closed on game days?

Last year I spent nearly $300 on homecoming last year to bring my family and stay in Logan. Why not offer up some staycation type packages with some of the local hotels and restaurants. They need to understand the impact that the university has on the business community in Logan. Throw together some lunch/dinner and game packages and some meal/hotel and game packages. I stayed at the Best Western where there were many families that were staying there for the game. Some of the old time Aggie greats stayed there for their reunion. We had some fun with a couple of Hawaii fans that were there. It was a blast. You could even hold an evening reception to help Aggies connect.

For basketball work some similar type deals for the Gossner when the students are gone. Again this would bring $$$ to the university for games that are not selling out now.
Preach

There are a ton of Aggie alumni between Brigham City and Provo who would get involved and be great supporters if the University/AD/BBSF... would make it apparent and easy for them.

Does the Huntsman Business School have a Marketing Department? Maybe they could help.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Did they add the ticket price into the sign ups fees for the little leaguers? Even if it was like 5 bucks, could we count that towards attendance?

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 19th, 2011, 3:59 pm

If they were paid for by Cache Valley Electric then as long as they were sold at a certain minimum value they count. doesn't matter if or what the kids paid after that.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

jdubb12

Post by jdubb12 » August 19th, 2011, 4:09 pm

The kids tickets were all paid for by CVE, so it's paid attendance. It's a segment of the Jr Aggie program.

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » August 19th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I've posted this before the this thread needs to have the stat posted here as well. Our home attendance is up each of the last two years. Our attendance ranking is now greater than our stadium size ranking in the FBS, not something most non-BCS schools can say. So, the trend is up. As for the season ticket sales, what are the current year season ticket projections, what were the recent years' sales? If we can grow that number by a few hundred each year with four win seasons, we will be fine, especially when we start having more success.

Go Keeton/Kennedy/Hart! :)

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » August 20th, 2011, 10:15 am

When we go to a bowl game, people will notice.

Until then the general population could care less if we're 'improving' if it continues to not result in W's.

Full

Post by Full » September 19th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Bump. Look at what can happen in two years.

Locked Previous topicNext topic