I am Not Sure if We Should Have Home FB Games on TV Just Yet

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JasonJensen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I am Not Sure if We Should Have Home FB Games on TV Just Yet

Post by JasonJensen » August 4th, 2011, 1:14 pm

The NFL will black out any city from television(Jacksonville) that doesn't sell out its home football games. USU basketball sells out or is close to selling out plenty of basketball games. I understand why they would be televised. On the other hand, our football team needs everyone it can get in the stadium. There are plenty of people in this valley that would rather not buy a general admission ticket and sit home and watch it on TV, especially on the bad weather days. Heck, I even know of people that would sit home and watch the Aggie basketball games that were die-hard fans if it meant they didn't have to drive in the snow. What say ye?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: I am Not Sure if We Should Have Home FB Games on TV Just

Post by ProvoAggie » August 4th, 2011, 1:25 pm

It's too late for that. The only 2 home games that aren't scheduled to be on TV yet are Weber State and La Tech and the La Tech one is on ESPN3.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » August 4th, 2011, 2:29 pm

I agree. I don't like the fact our home games are on local TV. It would be just fine if we were drawing a good crowd for our games but we struggles as is with no tv. This gives way too many casual fans a reason to stay home on warm sunny days, and it only gets worse when the weather isn't ideal.

Servo

Post by Servo » August 4th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Expand the question: what should be the blackout radius?

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 4th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I see Fresno, Weber St., and Hawaii that don't have any TV or internet showing options Provo. Maybe the Site Admin. hasn't updated the schedule page though. Why don't you send him a boardmail and rip him a new one.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 4th, 2011, 3:57 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:It's too late for that. The only 2 home games that aren't scheduled to be on TV yet are Weber State and La Tech and the La Tech one is on ESPN3.
NVAggie wrote:I see Fresno, Weber St., and Hawaii that don't have any TV or internet showing options Provo. Maybe the Site Admin. hasn't updated the schedule page though. Why don't you send him a boardmail and rip him a new one.
This thread was about blacking out home games. Fresno and Hawaii are both road games this year. I hope that they end up on TV somewhere but as of right now I'm not aware of any television plans.

USUNLV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by USUNLV » August 4th, 2011, 9:54 pm

TV exposure is always good, even locally. What's to stop a fair-weather fan from listening to the game on the radio or read about in the paper? If we're good people will come. If we suck, fair-weather fans will stay home whether the game is televised or not. I believe television exposure will strengthen and build our local fan base even when the games are played at Romney.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » August 4th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I see where you're coming from, but I think that this could also help bring back some fans driven away by years of losing. Especially those along the Wasatch Front. I wouldn't mind if Cache Valley was blacked out, because those of us that live that close need to be there at the games, especially with how cheap season tickets are.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 5th, 2011, 9:13 am

I think the benefit of exposure to the casual fan in Cache Valley and the Wasatch Front outweighs the theoretical drop in attendance.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » August 5th, 2011, 1:50 pm

+1000

Right now getting exposure to as many people as possible is the most important thing to do. The very casual fan won't even think about showing up to games unless it gets put there somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if throughout the year year you will find some people who saw the game on TV and from there decided it would fun to actually go to one.

Look at history yBu back in the day put every game they could on TV while the Ewe blacked out the area to try and make people show up to games. In the end the casual fans became yBu fans because they were the local team that was on TV all the time and the ewe has had to use BCS years to finally get to 3/4 of the attendance yBu has. Visibility is priceless.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 5th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I dont know anything about the makeup of ticket sales... BUT... is there another possible scenario? With the size of USUs football fan base, will it really matter? I'm going to go ahead and assume, that people who went to the games before are going to continue to go... The people who maybe went to a game sporadically, or never went anyway... will have the opportunity to become "more of a fan" while catching a game they other wise may not have. Being on TV means more media coverage. If we play well, that media coverage can turn into more fans. More fans means more people coming into Romney Stadium... Is that a possible scenario?

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 5th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Maybe we can blackout online streaming and all radio coverage too. That will surely build up some excitement for the team.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 5th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I agree with those in favor of televising every game possible. The BYU versus Utah example is very good. I grew up seeing everything BYU on KSL. The market was flooded with BYU. I knew everything about every player, whether I wanted to or not. I felt like I knew them personally.

This type of exposure for USU players would be huge, especially in the state of Utah. Local kids would see how much TV coverage they would get if they became Aggies. Increased viewership might lead to expanded coverage into larger markets. I see this as a very positive thing.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » August 7th, 2011, 2:01 am

This isn't new. They've been on TV for a while.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Locked Previous topicNext topic