How Could We Get Students Excited the Night Before a Game?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JasonJensen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How Could We Get Students Excited the Night Before a Game?

Post by JasonJensen » March 3rd, 2011, 12:24 pm

I was thinking about things they could do to create more of an event type atmosphere at Romney. We've all talked about what could be done on the day of a game but what about the night before a game?

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for but I wish they could get students involved and excited the night before. Couldn't they show a movie in the parking lot? Dance in the parking lot?

I think if we could create this environment you'd have more people camping out and that would create more people tailgating for the next day. I've heard at the big schools it starts the night before so why not at USU? At least in September when the weather is still beautiful.

Any thoughts about this?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: How Could We Get Students Excited the Night Before a Gam

Post by BigBlueDart » March 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm

A lot of schools do spirit rallies the night before. Wouldn't be a bad idea if people would get behind it and somebody stepped up to make it happen.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » March 3rd, 2011, 1:05 pm

Texas A&M Bonfire!!!

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 3rd, 2011, 1:45 pm

Organize a group floating party. You might even convert some BYU fans.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » March 3rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:Organize a group floating party. You might even convert some BYU fans.
Great idea! Let's make it a contest - if you move at all - you're out!

Twitter: UtahStizzle

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 3rd, 2011, 7:35 pm

1.Show a movie on the Scoreboard
2. get the downtown merchants to stay open on the night before the games
with food specials, live music, ect. Let the students paint the store windows

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » March 3rd, 2011, 8:13 pm

One could create demand by creating the illusion of need. In this case, make a list of twenty or so tailgating rules and publish them in The Statesman and in USU AD releases to create demand for something new: real tailgating. And since everyone wants what they can't have, start with some of the rules that the big schools have had to use to control their tailgates, such as: No tents or other structures may be erected in the tent and canopy tailgating area prior to 2 p.m. the day before games. You'll have students and others rushing to pitch tents and canopies at 2 p.m. every Friday! No motor homes may park before or after xx times, nor may any park in areas not designated for such parking. Parking lots for Tailgating open at 8 a.m. for afternoon games and 11 a.m. for night games. Cars must leave by 12 a.m. game night, except motor homes in designated lots which have until 10 a.m. Sunday for Saturday games, or 2 a.m. the morning immediately following a weeknight game. etc....

Of course, this means USU has to designate tent areas, and regulate the parking. But new people come every year. I really think pull through marketing could work for USU, and these suggestions are a form of that.

Be Blue!

Thelonius

Post by Thelonius » March 3rd, 2011, 9:59 pm

Winning and booze. Booze fuels tailgating, and few of our fans imbibe. Winning creates some demand, but by and large we need more party animals. That will fix all that ails our gameday. Sorry to offend a lot of you.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » March 4th, 2011, 3:04 pm

PAJAMA PARTY!!!!!!!!!!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 4th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Thelonius wrote:Winning and booze. Booze fuels tailgating, and few of our fans imbibe. Winning creates some demand, but by and large we need more party animals. That will fix all that ails our gameday. Sorry to offend a lot of you.
This ain't BYU. We've got a little thicker skin than that!!!

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 4th, 2011, 5:32 pm

WIN THE WEEK BEFORE..................

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » March 8th, 2011, 1:45 am

El Matatan wrote:
Thelonius wrote:Winning and booze. Booze fuels tailgating, and few of our fans imbibe. Winning creates some demand, but by and large we need more party animals. That will fix all that ails our gameday. Sorry to offend a lot of you.
To be honest, I don't think the community does...

Twitter: UtahStizzle

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 8th, 2011, 8:36 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
El Matatan wrote:
To be honest, I don't think the community does...
Thelonius is a good-hearted guy whose teasing is not only perfectly okeydokey but welcome, as far as this kid's concerned.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » March 8th, 2011, 8:59 am

This ain't BYU. We've got a little thicker skin than that!!![/quote]

To be honest, I don't think the community does...[/quote]

Give us locals a little break we are not nearly as thick skinned as you think we are.. We love the antics at the hoops games.. Would love the same at the FBall games...If Booz fuels your game face...Bring it on.. I love how everyone likes to think that because we are from logan we are isolated.. We do have a major party school in our midst..Believe me there aint nothin your gonna do to shock me..I've seen crap that would make you hair curl and your butt pucker in my travels...And I laughed...

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » March 8th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Your point is well taken. The drinkers certainly create a bit of Festivus for the rest of us, but down here in SEC country, I bet half the crowd doesn't drink a drop at some of the venues, like Arkansas and the Mississippi schools. That is not to say that the other half doesn't make up for it, but there is certainly room for both crowds to party respectfully together if that is how the alums and schools want it to be.

lexyd03

Post by lexyd03 » March 8th, 2011, 10:27 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » March 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm

This is the first time I've come back to this thread since I posted it. Some of the ideas mentioned would be awesome. I am sure if I posted this around Spring football or in August it would have a lot more responses. Maybe we can revive it then. I love the idea of having a movie on the field (if possible) or at least in the parking lot. Like someone mentioned, invite everyone from the students to the locals. This might only work for the 2 games we have in September but I am sure they'd be some great memories.

xtremeat

Post by xtremeat » March 9th, 2011, 6:40 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
Yossarian wrote:Organize a group floating party. You might even convert some BYU fans.
Great idea! Let's make it a contest - if you move at all - you're out!

TWSS

"Do your best and forget the rest!" ~Tony Horton

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 9th, 2011, 9:16 am

Our biggest problem is Mid October to Late November, even early December games. People don't know how to deal with the cold or the rain, which is ironic considering where we live. At least for the September through mid October games we have a full or nearly full Romney.

I don't understand why Aggie fans can't embrace cold weather like anywhere else in the the country where there's cold weather, ie NFL, Big 10, Big East, etc. Yes, we're not in the NFL or Big 10, but we are Utah State and there's no excuse. Besides, this level of football is just a level below the NFL.

If Aggie fans can go skiing, why can't they attend a late November game when it's 30 degrees? Bring your skiing gear and get into the game! Bring whatever and keep yourself warm and excited.

When it comes to the school, I wouldn't expect much to help attendance. But the first two things I'd like to see are to allow people to bring whatever they need into Romney Stadium for a cold weather game. Then I'd like to see the band show up and play their music throughout the game and not just whenever they feel like it. Those two things, not necessarily in that order.

If you want to see the school support for attendance improve, then people need to fill Romney for every game and show Utah State's sponsors that football games are something they need to be invested in if they want our fans to spend money at their businesses.
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on March 9th, 2011, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 9th, 2011, 9:25 am

As far as a night before pep rally in cold or inclement weather, it could be held in the Laub Center, the Field House or the TSA. If this is to happen it is going to have to start with the student leadership.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

ag4fr wrote: Nothing cures a cold a$$ like winning.
At this stage in Utah State football, every game is critical, no matter what our record.

Locked Previous topicNext topic