USU Athletics Makes Improvements

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
blazing7s
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USU Athletics Makes Improvements

Post by blazing7s » February 8th, 2011, 8:12 pm

to the Stan Laub Indoor Training Center

http://fb.me/PuSYn3Tl

Agzrule

Re: USU Athletics Makes Improvements

Post by Agzrule » February 9th, 2011, 12:06 pm

It looks great, I really wish we would fix the field at romney, that aggie blue in the laub building looks awesome.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » February 9th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Why don't they use it very much for football...they even took the goal post out of it...Maybe that's why our kickers suck.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » February 9th, 2011, 9:18 pm

blazing7s wrote:to the Stan Laub Indoor Training Center

http://fb.me/PuSYn3Tl

Now we need a real Division 1 weight room. Then a real D1 press box. 2 bowl games in a row should get it for us.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 10th, 2011, 10:52 am

I wish they would have taken the turf from the stadium and put in in the Laub building, and then put the new turf in the stadium.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

kofdog

Post by kofdog » February 10th, 2011, 11:08 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:I wish they would have taken the turf from the stadium and put in in the Laub building, and then put the new turf in the stadium.
Yeah, cause rumor has it, the tuff in the laub center is better now than the stadium and they don't even practice in it.

Servo

Post by Servo » February 15th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Agzrule wrote:I really wish we would fix the field at romney,
Indeed. I was watching the video from the last time SJSU came to Romney and the turf was closer to the Spartan blue than the Aggie blue.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

coolag

Post by coolag » February 15th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Thanks alot Rance Pugmire!

SoCalAggie

Post by SoCalAggie » February 15th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:I wish they would have taken the turf from the stadium and put in in the Laub building, and then put the new turf in the stadium.

+1,000,000

The practice center is great for winter conditioning really, bowl games (if we could ever get onother one), and not much more when it comes to football... cept maybe preping us to play in the Kibbie Dome. The real-world simulation of the stadium is much better when it come to practice. You don't play FB inside a big climate controlled building (again, unless you are Idaho), so prepping to play outside in all-weather conditions is much better. Why do you think high schools out in the Coachella Valley area of So-Cal do so good in Football? It isn't because of the huge population, or the racial make up of the kids, that's for sure. It's the conditioning in 110+ degree heat every day. That is what separates the men from the boys!

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

jdubb12

Post by jdubb12 » February 15th, 2011, 4:39 pm

SoCalAggie wrote:

+1,000,000

The practice center is great for winter conditioning really, bowl games (if we could ever get onother one), and not much more when it comes to football... cept maybe preping us to play in the Kibbie Dome. The real-world simulation of the stadium is much better when it come to practice. You don't play FB inside a big climate controlled building (again, unless you are Idaho), so prepping to play outside in all-weather conditions is much better. Why do you think high schools out in the Coachella Valley area of So-Cal do so good in Football? It isn't because of the huge population, or the racial make up of the kids, that's for sure. It's the conditioning in 110+ degree heat every day. That is what separates the men from the boys!
If you read the article it seems that the anonymous donor made the donation specifically for the Laub Center. I don't think it was the decision of the Athletic Department to replace the turf in the Laub center over Romney Stadium.

Aggieup2

Post by Aggieup2 » February 15th, 2011, 9:36 pm

THE REAL REASON FOR THE TRUF REPLACEMENT....

The Laub Center truf and the stadium truf were different in texture. Practicing on one surface and playing on an other
was something Coach A believed was is in the stadium. Now the LC can be fully utilized.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 16th, 2011, 8:37 am

Aggieup2 wrote:THE REAL REASON FOR THE TRUF REPLACEMENT....

The Laub Center truf and the stadium truf were different in texture. Practicing on one surface and playing on an other
was something Coach A believed was is in the stadium. Now the LC can be fully utilized.
OK, but why couldn't they have put the stadium turf in the LC and put new turf of the same texture (and proper colors) in the stadium? My guess? Nobody thought about that.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » February 16th, 2011, 9:14 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:

OK, but why couldn't they have put the stadium turf in the LC and put new turf of the same texture (and proper colors) in the stadium? My guess? Nobody thought about that.
Answer...Cost! You are talking about ripping out the turf in the stadium, moving it to the LC, installing it and then installing a whole new field in Romney. That would cost much more than the original turf installation. We need those funds elsewhere. Lets worry more about how the play on the field looks rather than the field itself. IMHO

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » February 16th, 2011, 9:50 am

The turf in the stadium is nearing the end of its life. The seams are deterorating
and I would guess it only has two or three years of life left in it. At that time we will finally
get the endzones replaced

Aggieup2

Post by Aggieup2 » February 16th, 2011, 11:17 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:

Answer...Cost! You are talking about ripping out the turf in the stadium, moving it to the LC, installing it and then installing a whole new field in Romney. That would cost much more than the original turf installation. We need those funds elsewhere. Lets worry more about how the play on the field looks rather than the field itself. IMHO
Right. Not worth the cost--larger area to cover in RS and moving old stuff and relaying it --really expensive.

The Laub truf was OLD technology and was discarded. It was replaced with the same type of new improved truf as we have in
RS. This improvement was made in order that there would be no diff in field practice condition between the two facilities.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 16th, 2011, 12:23 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:The turf in the stadium is nearing the end of its life. The seams are deterorating
and I would guess it only has two or three years of life left in it. At that time we will finally
get the endzones replaced
really? I thought it was touted as having a 10-15-year life?

2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 16th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I was advised the life of the turf was 18+ years. Much less than this and the turf wasn't cost effective regarding offsetting mowing, watering, fertilizing, weed control, spot turf replacement and painting the turf each season.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » February 16th, 2011, 2:21 pm

When was the turf install 2002? That would make it 8 or 9 years old.
I think the manufactures sell may promote it as having a 18 year life but
what I have read is 10 years is about the norm. Unless it is blue and
then you have to replace it every other year.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 16th, 2011, 2:26 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:When was the turf install 2002? That would make it 8 or 9 years old.
I think the manufactures sell may promote it as having a 18 year life but
what I have read is 10 years is about the norm. Unless it is blue and
then you have to replace it every other year.
I want to say it was installed before the 2004 season. I remember Kim talking about it and what it was like for the band to march on, and we met in the Fall of 2003. I could be getting the timeline wrong, though.

And Sprinturf offers and 8 year warranty on their fields:

http://www.sprinturf.com/index.cfm?fuse ... 29-56-1138

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 16th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Looks like it went in for the 2004 season - that means 7 seasons - or about 40 games have been played on it. Doesn't seem like a very economical spending, to me.

Aug 13, 2004 was first practice on new turf

2020 PICK'EM GOOGLE Docs -
BOWLS (pick entry)

WEEK 15 (results)

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 16th, 2011, 3:21 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:Looks like it went in for the 2004 season - that means 7 seasons - or about 40 games have been played on it. Doesn't seem like a very economical spending, to me.

Aug 13, 2004 was first practice on new turf
But the team also practices most of the time on the turf, don't they?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 16th, 2011, 4:06 pm

The installed cost was reported to be $750K. If we enjoy 10 years of life from the turf we have $75K per season as a raw cost. Anyone out there who wouldn't maintain a football field for $75K a year? Water, fertilize, mark, mow, weed control etc. What is wrong with this picture?

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » February 16th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Yes We could easily maintain the field for less then 75K per year but only if the team doesn't practice on it and the high schools can't use it and you don't mind worn patches and muddy spots appearing during the year that can't get fixed week to week with being played on every week doesn't give it time to grow.

I am no expert but have seen in my years of doing landscaping professionally and non professionally (read hired and non hired grunt labor) that football fields with take a lot of abuse and the more games are played and the more extreme the climate the more damage a football season will wreak on said field. The Turf may not have saved us money in the long run but allows for significantly more usage than we ever could have with grass.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » February 16th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Also keep in mind that now many club sports (for example Flag football) are also able to use the Turf. and it get used year around now. I played on the original grass and the Turf when It was put in. In bad weather it is much safer because it does not get muddy or as slippery.

FatAg

Post by FatAg » February 17th, 2011, 8:19 am

Does anybody know why the original construction of the Laub indoor facility didn't plan for a 100 yard field? I'm guessing $$$ was obviously some sort of determining factor, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're going to be spending a couple of million to build the thing, why not just pay the additional couple hundred thousand to complete it.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 17th, 2011, 8:51 am

You don't really need a full 100 yards for a practice facility, do you? Why not save that extra money for something else, like a new NEZ facility?

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » February 17th, 2011, 10:17 am

I think CSU's new indoor is only 75 yards

kofdog

Post by kofdog » February 17th, 2011, 10:19 am

ag4fr wrote:
FatAg wrote:Does anybody know why the original construction of the Laub indoor facility didn't plan for a 100 yard field? I'm guessing $$$ was obviously some sort of determining factor, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're going to be spending a couple of million to build the thing, why not just pay the additional couple hundred thousand to complete it.
Many of these indoor practice facilities don't have 100 yard fields. Many are 70 or 80 yards. BYU's has two fields. One is 55 yards and the other is 65 yards. I'm not sure why 100 yards would be much better than 80, but let's be grateful for what we do have and enjoy the fact that we have had it long enough to need to replace the turf. Fresno and Nevada don't have indoor practice fields.

I'm greatful we have it for soccer and softball and such. Wish we had one that football wanted to use.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 17th, 2011, 12:31 pm

i think the turf has a warranty of some sort if it runs down too quickly.

FatAg

Post by FatAg » February 18th, 2011, 8:33 am

ag4fr wrote:
FatAg wrote:Does anybody know why the original construction of the Laub indoor facility didn't plan for a 100 yard field? I'm guessing $$$ was obviously some sort of determining factor, but in the grand scheme of things, if you're going to be spending a couple of million to build the thing, why not just pay the additional couple hundred thousand to complete it.
Many of these indoor practice facilities don't have 100 yard fields. Many are 70 or 80 yards. BYU's has two fields. One is 55 yards and the other is 65 yards. I'm not sure why 100 yards would be much better than 80, but let's be grateful for what we do have and enjoy the fact that we have had it long enough to need to replace the turf. Fresno and Nevada don't have indoor practice fields.
I didn't realize that. I was just thinking that a full field would be more beneficial. Guess not.

Locked Previous topicNext topic