PAC-2 this much closer to merging in with us

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bullnamed_gus

PAC-2 this much closer to merging in with us

Post by Bullnamed_gus » March 15th, 2024, 3:50 pm

The new CFP payouts will average over 2 million per G5 school per year. (I took
The G5% of total share divided it by the number of G5s, got to the 2M Number) Maybe more for the MWC and AAC, then less for smaller G5 conferences.

The PAC2 will be getting 350k each. Add in the lack
Of TV Contracts. It’s becoming that much more unsustainable for the PAC2 to try and hang as a “P5” by a thread.

Has it even been reported how much they’re actually keeping from the conference dissolving?

In my opinion they’re absolutely idiotic to not merge with us. They could, in theory, merge with us, keep a huge money advantage, beat up on all of us, and then get pulled up to the Big 12 or the other bigger conferences when the next cycle comes.

I personally think we’re a lot closer now to this happening.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
USU78ViAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: PAC-2 this much closer to merging in with us

Post by USU78 » March 15th, 2024, 4:47 pm

They've got nowhere else to go.

These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
ViAggieFloridaAggie13

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2024, 5:58 pm

Yeah it is only a matter of time.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 15th, 2024, 6:30 pm

At first all this stuff seemed exciting, but now... ???? *shrugs shoulders* yays we get Oregon State and Washington State in our conference, yays *shrugs shoulders* At least Wazu is good in Basketball! I'll give them that. Makes us easily the best west coast BB conference (B12 doesn't count because they are a mid-west based conference).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 28th, 2024, 8:44 pm

I just posted my thoughts in the "MWC Schools" thread. I'm sure you'll all want to rush right over. Because who wouldn't want my insights, right?
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
SeattleAgUSU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 28th, 2024, 8:52 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 6:30 pm
At first all this stuff seemed exciting, but now... ???? *shrugs shoulders* yays we get Oregon State and Washington State in our conference, yays *shrugs shoulders* At least Wazu is good in Basketball! I'll give them that. Makes us easily the best west coast BB conference (B12 doesn't count because they are a mid-west based conference).
One of the most financially broken decisions was when the PAC-2 didn't merge with the MWC when they still had their bowl tie-ins: Rose Bowl, Sun Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Jimmy Kimmel Bowl, etc. Absolutely idiotic. And then to make that decision even worse they join a conference that sometimes gets 2 bids and sometimes gets 1 bid in the NCAA tournament instead of joining a conference that gets at least 4 bids and recently 5 and 6 bids. That decision by the PAC-2 will go down in college sports history as one of the worst ever.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 28th, 2024, 9:01 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 8:52 pm
ViAggie wrote:
One of the most financially broken decisions was when the PAC-2 didn't merge with the MWC when they still had their bowl tie-ins: Rose Bowl, Sun Bowl, Las Vegas Bowl, Jimmy Kimmel Bowl, etc. Absolutely idiotic. And then to make that decision even worse they join a conference that sometimes gets 2 bids and sometimes gets 1 bid in the NCAA tournament instead of joining a conference that gets at least 4 bids and recently 5 and 6 bids. That decision by the PAC-2 will go down in college sports history as one of the worst ever.
Did I miss something? Did the PAC-2 already join another conference?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » March 28th, 2024, 9:10 pm

LKGates wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
They pulled a BYU and joined the WCC for non-football sports.

cval

Post by cval » March 28th, 2024, 9:26 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:10 pm
LKGates wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
…and made a scheduling alliance with us for FB.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 28th, 2024, 9:31 pm

cval wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:26 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
LKGates wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Ah. OK. I don't think they actually JOINED the WCC. I believe it's just a short term scheduling alliance for olympic sports, just like they did with us for football.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 28th, 2024, 9:49 pm

cval wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 9:26 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
LKGates wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Leave it to Gloria and the MWC presidents to not learn the lesson that they should've learned with YBU. :crazy:

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » March 29th, 2024, 11:50 am

Has the MWC offered the PAC-2 a one-time discounted enrollment fee in light of their current situation with a specific expiry date, like in the next 10 days?

Take it or leave it. This represents the MWC's full and only offer in 2024.

I am sure my vision of where the PAC2 is going is not without bias. Sooner or later, the PAC2 comes to their senses.

It is time to 5h1+ or get off the pot.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 29th, 2024, 4:39 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:50 am
Has the MWC offered the PAC-2 a one-time discounted enrollment fee in light of their current situation with a specific expiry date, like in the next 10 days?

Take it or leave it. This represents the MWC's full and only offer in 2024.

I am sure my vision of where the PAC2 is going is not without bias. Sooner or later, the PAC2 comes to their senses.

It is time to 5h1+ or get off the pot.
What's the rush? Honestly, the MWC is fine just as it is, for now. I think the better strategy is to let things play out. I don't think any other conference is going to offer them. If they come in under duress, they're going to resent it. If they get two years out, and are about to lose their status as a conference, they'll come of their own accord. I'd love to have them, but only if they're coming willingly, wanting to stay and build the conference.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 4):
vegasaggieJSHarveyJjoey52Harcher

stwinward

Post by stwinward » April 1st, 2024, 10:44 am

With today's news of Big 10 expansion, does the AAC now come after the Pac2?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » April 1st, 2024, 10:45 am

stwinward wrote:With today's news of Big 10 expansion, does the AAC now come after the Pac2?
I think you’ve fallen for an April fool’s joke my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 1st, 2024, 11:30 am

Yes we are interested. No special cut outs or unique status, thanks. Been there. Done that.

Those are the conditions under which I would be happy to welcome WSU/OSU to the MWC.

The Truth

Post by The Truth » April 1st, 2024, 12:04 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
this was done deliberately and with purpose. the bowl tie-ins were never going to follow the PAC2 so that isn't really an argument. they signed on to become an affiliate member of the WCC in olympic sports to so as to help show during their legal proceedings with the 10 departing schools that they did not have a singular landing place for all their sports. they were aiming to show hardship. they had 2 full years before having to make anything really permanent so there was no hurry on their end as they try to fight for as much of the PAC12 $$ as they can get.

while they did win control of the remaining PAC12 funds, they were also ordered to be sure it is distributed in a fair manner so i'm not really convinced it's going to turn out much different than it would have anyway. they'll end up getting a little more than the departing schools and that will be that. in the end it won't prevent them from having to make budget cuts and reevaluate how they are going to operate on a slice of pie that is more MWC sized now.

the MWC made out like bandits in this deal. PAC 2 are paying a $2M admin fee + $1.5M/per PAC2 home game ($9M total) + $3M General Participation Fee = $14M for one year of football scheduling with MWC schools. $12M of that $14M are being split evenly among the 12 MWC schools...basically $1M each for their 1 game against either PAC team.

eventually, all 14 teams will be in one conference together in all sports - there are currently no other options for anyone involved.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » April 1st, 2024, 12:47 pm

This was on twitter over the weekend. Every time I try to link it it turns to poop. So here is a screenshot.Image

TLDR: In 2 years they are broke bettys
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 1st, 2024, 1:14 pm

The Truth wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 12:04 pm

this was done deliberately and with purpose. the bowl tie-ins were never going to follow the PAC2 so that isn't really an argument.

while they did win control of the remaining PAC12 funds, they were also ordered to be sure it is distributed in a fair manner so i'm not really convinced it's going to turn out much different than it would have anyway. they'll end up getting a little more than the departing schools and that will be that. in the end it won't prevent them from having to make budget cuts and reevaluate how they are going to operate on a slice of pie that is more MWC sized now.

the MWC made out like bandits in this deal. PAC 2 are paying a $2M admin fee + $1.5M/per PAC2 home game ($9M total) + $3M General Participation Fee = $14M for one year of football scheduling with MWC schools. $12M of that $14M are being split evenly among the 12 MWC schools...basically $1M each for their 1 game against either PAC team.

eventually, all 14 teams will be in one conference together in all sports - there are currently no other options for anyone involved.
Thanks for this well thought out detail. I only don't see your point in one aspect. The PAC-12 is ultimately legally maintained like a corporation. Someone that understands the legal details in more details please correct me.

Given that it's a corporation and that corporation has contracts, those contracts can't be dissolved without the corporation dissolving. And given that those contracts included very lucrative bowl games, what on earth would drive anyone in control of said corporation to not maintain/fill those contracts with bowls for as long as possibile? Keep in mind that we're talking about contracts between two corporations; ESPN and PAC-12.

The PAC-12 would've been able to fill those bowl slots for the remainder of the contracts if they had back filled their conference with MWC schools. Looking at football, it would've been a step down, but looking at basketball they shot themselves in the foot!

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 1st, 2024, 1:17 pm

Nobody is "joining" the PAC.

The PAC is dead and broke.

I hope the PAC 2 can move forward in good faith and not allow their vision to be clouded too much by memories of living off of the PAC12 Brand.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 1st, 2024, 1:20 pm

GordoAggie wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 12:47 pm
This was on twitter over the weekend. Every time I try to link it it turns to poop. So here is a screenshot.Image

TLDR: In 2 years they are broke bettys
You would think $100 million in bowl revenue (whatever that ridiculous number is), would drive them in their thinking. I can't see how they'll maintain those contracts. Anyone know if the p4 will have leverage to keep Wazzu and Oregon State out of the Rose Bowl given that it did have a contract with the PAC-12?

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » April 1st, 2024, 5:23 pm

Maybe the goal all along has been to get rid of the sweetheart deal Boise has. Combine conferences and level the playing field.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » April 1st, 2024, 5:36 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 10:45 am
stwinward wrote:With today's news of Big 10 expansion, does the AAC now come after the Pac2?
I think you’ve fallen for an April fool’s joke my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL. I saw it picked up on a legit news feed this morning without thinking of the date.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 2nd, 2024, 2:51 pm

does the money graph consider what they owe to comcast or have they broke even after this year (that may be the case). Either way, us joining the PAC2 might be a liability at this point, I think the PAC 2 should join the MWC and let those who are owed money fight it out.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 2nd, 2024, 6:25 pm

In all honesty, I would not waste time worrying about the money they used to get from the PAC12 conference.

That was then. This is now.

Sure, it would be swell if most of the money set aside by the PAC fell to WSU/OSU. In reality, most of it should. They were the only only ones hanging on.

Alas, I doubt much, in any of it will. Weasels gonna weasel. We are far from seeing the lowest of the lows as the money trough dries up.

But what is done is done. Greed drove most of the PAC members to cut bait and bail on the Land Grant Northwest Schools.

Seems like a classic case of situational ethics/morality and a fine example of the endless blood-thirst for money in most of NCAA athletics.

But in the end, can they really lie to the guy in the mirror? Is it really an accomplishment to do conference members dirty and boot them out?

It is no b big Shocker that two schools who's Athletic Department I do not admire and we happen the share a state with are in the middle of this.

If I am WSU/OSU, I wear this now as a badge of honor and get to work on making their Athletic Departments run as smoothly and profitably as possible.., and maximize the revenues streams they do have and the things they can do.

There are Athletic Departments outside of the Power Conferences that do well. WSU/OSU need to maximize the things they are blessed with that likely don't exist if they were not PAC members.
Last edited by RogerAndersen on April 3rd, 2024, 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Full

Post by Full » April 3rd, 2024, 11:09 am

Tough times in Pullman. Lose the Basketball Coach and AD within weeks, cutting the football staff’s pay and now this. A first year head coach from a Big Sky program that has a career D1 record of 17-18 turned down the job of head basketball coach. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/ ... -wsu-job-/

I think everyone sees they will be facing massive issues. Nobody wants to go into a department where you know they need to cut a third of the budget and still have a $120 million debt they have no way to pay back.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 12:43 pm

Full wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 11:09 am
Tough times in Pullman. Lose the Basketball Coach and AD within weeks, cutting the football staff’s pay and now this. A first year head coach from a Big Sky program that has a career D1 record of 17-18 turned down the job of head basketball coach. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/ ... -wsu-job-/

I think everyone sees they will be facing massive issues. Nobody wants to go into a department where you know they need to cut a third of the budget and still have a $120 million debt they have no way to pay back.
Damn, that's embarrassing! A PAC12 (technically) job offer comes your way as a first-year HC and you turn it down? WOWZERS, my how the mighty have fallen.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 3rd, 2024, 1:11 pm

Dang...
A First year FCS Coach with an overall losing record no less!
That says sumthin...
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2024, 1:41 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:11 pm
Dang...
A First year FCS Coach with an overall losing record no less!
That says sumthin...
Yea, he could have pulled a Danny Sprinkle and brought over most of his team and still chose not to. No doubt Wazzu was probably trying to get him at a discount if Mont. State was able to sweeten the pot for him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic