Looks like Boise State is getting axed from BYU's schedule.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie702

Re: Looks like Boise State is getting axed from BYU's schedule.

Post by Aggie702 » January 27th, 2022, 9:42 pm

I hate BYU as much as the next Aggie, but I think the major in state schools (in every state where it is feasible) should play each other every year on a home and home. Makes the sport more interesting to me.

And as much as we hate BYU, most of us have very fond memories of the times we have beat them.
These users thanked the author Aggie702 for the post (total 2):
ususportscdaAg

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 28th, 2022, 12:12 am

BYU AD had this to say in his media round table pertaining to Utah and USU scheduling.

Regarding future games with Utah and Utah State, Holmoe said they might not be able to play both in-state rivals every year, but that’s the wish.

“Will it be a consistent every-year rivalry, where we are playing a rivalry game every year?” Holmoe said. “I would say the answer would be no. You have seen that change in the past to where it is not every year.”

https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/27/22900 ... membership
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
slcagg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 28th, 2022, 8:32 am

I'm pretty dispassionate about playing P5 schools. Any game at their place not paired with a return game in Logan requires a 1mil + payout. I feel no need to make exceptions for BYU or UofU. Happy to play them without return games, so long as they pay the fee.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » January 28th, 2022, 10:01 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 8:32 am
Happy to play them without return games, so long as they pay the fee.
No.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » January 28th, 2022, 10:14 am

Holmoe also added this:

“But I would say ‘yes’ for the in-state schools,” Holmoe said. “I think that it is important that we have a really good tradition of playing the in-state schools.”

So it looks like this series will continue in some capacity.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 28th, 2022, 10:37 am

calaggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:01 am
brownjeans wrote:
No.
Why? Because you hate them?

Playing a money game with UofU or BYU is probably better for USU than playing a money game with Ole Miss or similar. As long as UofU and BYU are willing to pay the same kind of money as the other P5s for a no-return game, why not?

calaggie

Post by calaggie » January 28th, 2022, 11:01 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 10:37 am
calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No.

Playing a money game with UofU or BYU is probably better for USU than playing a money game with Ole Miss or similar. As long as UofU and BYU are willing to pay the same kind of money as the other P5s for a no-return game, why not?
No — at least not exclusively because I hate them. It’s because the optics are so awful. The football program has finally clawed its way back to respectability. So much so that the asshats at BYU are saying that maintaining the rivalry game with us is important to them. In the media market that is Utah (and the intermountain west), we are closer to being treated as a co-equal with the other two than we have been for decades. Why would we toss that aside now to be treated like some FCS money game for them? We become Weber State. Especially when the u and y are still scheduling h/h with the likes of SDSU and Northern Illinois.
These users thanked the author calaggie for the post (total 4):
AgliciousBigBlueDartAggie19USU78

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 28th, 2022, 11:26 am

calaggie wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 11:01 am
brownjeans wrote:
calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No.

No — at least not exclusively because I hate them. It’s because the optics are so awful. The football program has finally clawed its way back to respectability. So much so that the asshats at BYU are saying that maintaining the rivalry game with us is important to them. In the media market that is Utah (and the intermountain west), we are closer to being treated as a co-equal with the other two than we have been for decades. Why would we toss that aside now to be treated like some FCS money game for them? We become Weber State. Especially when the u and y are still scheduling h/h with the likes of SDSU and Northern Illinois.
Exactly my sentiment.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 28th, 2022, 2:10 pm

calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No.

Bingo. Home and home, or pound sand.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 28th, 2022, 2:21 pm

calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
calaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
No.

That's fair. I can get on board with that.

Locked Previous topicNext topic