Hiding Topics

We want this to be the best online community of Aggie fans in the world. If you know of something that will make it better, let us know.
dirtnsnow

Hiding Topics

Post by dirtnsnow » December 7th, 2022, 9:38 am

There currently is an option to hide a user's posts. I'd like to similarly hide topics, but in a more permanent way (it doesn't even appear) so I don't have to be reminded how obsessed with BYU a lot of fans are.

Aggies All the Way!

2004AG

Re: Hiding Topics

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2022, 9:59 am

dirtnsnow wrote:There currently is an option to hide a user's posts. I'd like to similarly hide topics, but in a more permanent way (it doesn't even appear) so I don't have to be reminded how obsessed with BYU a lot of fans are.
This comes up about once a month.

Just don’t click on a topic with “byu” in the headline. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 7th, 2022, 10:30 am

2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 9:59 am
dirtnsnow wrote:There currently is an option to hide a user's posts. I'd like to similarly hide topics, but in a more permanent way (it doesn't even appear) so I don't have to be reminded how obsessed with BYU a lot of fans are.

a) The reminder is still there, so the problem isn't solved.
b) There are other topics that I choose to ignore as well such as the pick em games and score guesses. I hold no ill will toward these, just don't want to have updates on them. All of these show up in my "new" posts list when I log on and go to the forum.
c) This is a suggestion forum, and this is merely a suggestion. Apologies for the dig at other fans. I truly just want to eliminate BYU from my life to the extent I can. Schadenfreude included; I am attempting to introduce more optimism in my life and don't want to seek out pessimism and revel in it.
d) If this comes up about once a month, it indicates that it would be a well received feature.

Aggies All the Way!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2022, 10:43 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 10:30 am
2004AG wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 9:59 am

a) The reminder is still there, so the problem isn't solved.
b) There are other topics that I choose to ignore as well such as the pick em games and score guesses. I hold no ill will toward these, just don't want to have updates on them. All of these show up in my "new" posts list when I log on and go to the forum.
c) This is a suggestion forum, and this is merely a suggestion. Apologies for the dig at other fans. I truly just want to eliminate BYU from my life to the extent I can. Schadenfreude included; I am attempting to introduce more optimism in my life and don't want to seek out pessimism and revel in it.
d) If this comes up about once a month, it indicates that it would be a well received feature.
the moderators either can't, or dont want to.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 7th, 2022, 1:39 pm

The software we use for the forum doesn't currently allow for this and it would be a massive undertaking to make it happen. Maybe that will change in the future but as of now it isn't an option.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
2004AG

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 7th, 2022, 3:18 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 1:39 pm
The software we use for the forum doesn't currently allow for this and it would be a massive undertaking to make it happen. Maybe that will change in the future but as of now it isn't an option.

Thanks for the response. I'm willing to help, if possible (I'm an experienced software engineer). Not sure how you have it set up, but if you created a feature branch for it, I'd be willing to spend some time working at it.

Aggies All the Way!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 7th, 2022, 3:21 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 3:18 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm willing to help, if possible (I'm an experienced software engineer). Not sure how you have it set up, but if you created a feature branch for it, I'd be willing to spend some time working at it.
We're using phpBB for the message board software (and we're not currently up to date). We're really not interested in forking the code at this point. We did a bit of that in the past and it's made updating to the latest version harder.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 7th, 2022, 3:28 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 3:21 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 3:18 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:

We're using phpBB for the message board software (and we're not currently up to date). We're really not interested in forking the code at this point. We did a bit of that in the past and it's made updating to the latest version harder.
Fair enough. Thanks for your consideration and work on the site.

Aggies All the Way!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 7th, 2022, 3:31 pm

I'm hoping to do a massive upgrade next summer during the offseason. We made an attempt once already but they made some pretty major changes to the Forum login that affected the rest of the site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic